Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple system failure / Wiring Harness Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As it was a nice sunny day today I had a look at this. There was water present when I pushed back the black tubing running to the 3 items shown in AmPiste's photo above. It didn't look as though it should be a problem as I have now pushed it further away from the actual connectors which are directly horizontal from the end (about 10mm now) so that if any further water is carried down to the end it will just fall vertically away. I also realised the tubing is merely cable tidy - it literally is used to clump any wires together and keep them neat and tidy.
The cable tidy has been wrapped with tape making it capable of carrying water - I've split it open just by breaking the tape seal, rolled the split to the bottom and repositioned the two T-shaped clips so that they hold the split to the bottom. Any further moisture will exit here.

Quite grubby around and under parts of the Frunk - spent a happy few minutes tidying that up.
Split cable tidy.PNG

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Roy W.
Attended a service centre appointment for rear glass. Car loom around the front of the car to be “rerouted” as part of a service bulletin whilst the car was in their care. Will upload service docs when I get chance, if there is anything on there worth reporting.

2019 Model 3 LR VIN #438***

• Informative
Reactions: navt
Had a look at mine today, placing paper towel in the area suggested a few posts back before running some water down the windscreen. The paper towel got damp. There's a noticeable recess in the rubber in that area.

What probably makes this worse is that the gap between the wipers literally funnels the water into this particular area!

Tempted to raise a service request just to avoid any problems with this, since it's something I'm aware of. Rather that than get hit by this problem in the middle of trying to go somewhere in the car.

Had a look at mine today, placing paper towel in the area suggested a few posts back before running some water down the windscreen. The paper towel got damp. There's a noticeable recess in the rubber in that area.

What probably makes this worse is that the gap between the wipers literally funnels the water into this particular area!

Tempted to raise a service request just to avoid any problems with this, since it's something I'm aware of. Rather that than get hit by this problem in the middle of trying to go somewhere in the car.

It's probably a good idea to report this issue but bear in mind that this part of the car is regarded as a potentially "wet area" (similar to many other makes). If your cable routing is "correct" then you shouldn't be affected but unfortunately you don't know until it's too late. Thankfully some software update changes mean that if/when the problem manifests it should no longer result in the complete gamut of systems failures that happened in the past.

Reactions: MrBadger
It's probably a good idea to report this issue but bear in mind that this part of the car is regarded as a potentially "wet area" (similar to many other makes).

I just had the conversation with SC again, except this time more about the seals around glass areas. Basically the roof area will drain back to this area and out via the scuttle. I'm still hoping that things get a better fit as over time, crud will gather in these areas and possibly cause problems if they cannot be kept clean.

Mine was an overnight fix at West Drayton SC, but I didn't have an appointment in advance. I got hit with multiple system failure as I was driving to work near Heathrow first thing, so I carefully drove on to the SC and dropped it with them. I got a text the following afternoon to say it was fixed. No replacement loom, just a clean up, seal and refit the existing wiring.

Attended appointment at West Drayton service centre yesterday. Took a couple of hours to carry out the service bulletin work. It could have been quicker but I was significantly late due to being stuck in traffic so they had to wait for someone to be available to do it.

On returning home I had a look at the affected area and noticed that the rubber seal under the windscreen now seems to fit better (as suggested in earlier posts, something probably needed pushing into place.)

Moderator comment - merged from "Model 3 wiring update"

I have a 2019 P3+ going to service tomorrow for a noise issue. The service team told me they will also be conducting a wiring update. She said something they are doing to the car when it goes to service (ie an update they do on car that go to service , but not so serious that they need a recall)

wondering if anyone knows what is the scope and purpose of this wiring update?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2019 P3+ going to service tomorrow for a noise issue. The service team told me they will also be conducting a wiring update. She said something they are doing to the car when it goes to service (ie an update they do on car that go to service , but not so serious that they need a recall)

wondering if anyone knows what is the scope and purpose of this wiring update?
It'll be a replacement of a wiring connector under the bonnet to prevent water ingress which if untreated, could result in your car shutting down whilst driving.

Impacted 2019 and some Q1 2020 models I think.

Believe this is a relevant thread but not entirely certain:
Vehicle shutting down - PULL OVER SAFELY

EDIT - Think it was this thread or it could have been both threads:
Multiple system failure - moderator comment - now renamed and merged

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this occur to me driving in Stockport in a 2020 car, sudden multiple warnings on the screen car downright awful to drive but thankfully I was quite close to the Tesla dealership who provided me with a rather beaten up Model S while they repaired it the same day.

Harry at Stockport Tesla was really helpful and I genuinely couldn’t have asked more from them, worrying that it happened at all but I was reassured me it wouldn’t happen again, fingers crossed and sent me on my way.

Invoice details the following…

After diagnosis found water ingress into steering rack logic connector. Replaced complete connectors on both sides and carried out front harness re-seal. Installed latest update and road tested - no further alerts present.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Wire - Electrical Harness (Does Not Include Access Labor) (Repair)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part QTY. ASY,HARN,SERVICE PIGTAIL,3POS,M(1558550-01-A) 1.0 ASY,HARN,SERVICE PIGTAIL,3POS,F(1558550-00-A) 1.0
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive

I had this occur to me driving in Stockport in a 2020 car, sudden multiple warnings on the screen car downright awful to drive but thankfully I was quite close to the Tesla dealership who provided me with a rather beaten up Model S while they repaired it the same day.

Harry at Stockport Tesla was really helpful and I genuinely couldn’t have asked more from them, worrying that it happened at all but I was reassured me it wouldn’t happen again, fingers crossed and sent me on my way.

After diagnosis found water ingress into steering rack logic connector. Replaced complete connectors on both sides and carried out front harness re-seal. Installed latest update and road tested - no further alerts present.
Parts Replaced or Added
Part QTY. ASY,HARN,SERVICE PIGTAIL,3POS,M(1558550-01-A) 1.0 ASY,HARN,SERVICE PIGTAIL,3POS,F(1558550-00-A) 1.0
It seems crazy that potentially affected cars have still not been actively recalled. When the cars go into the Service Centres for other reasons the work appears to be carried out but there are people driving around with 2019 and early 2020 cars that can have a systems failure including loss of power steering at any time. Mine was rectified early on and I can tell you that when the steering goes you had better be feeling physically strong and mentally confident to be able to manhandle the car to the SC!

Reactions: CMc1
It seems crazy that potentially affected cars have still not been actively recalled. When the cars go into the Service Centres for other reasons the work appears to be carried out but there are people driving around with 2019 and early 2020 cars that can have a systems failure including loss of power steering at any time. Mine was rectified early on and I can tell you that when the steering goes you had better be feeling physically strong and mentally confident to be able to manhandle the car to the SC!
Correct. Mine was in 3 weeks ago for handbrake issue . I asked them about this and they said they they already had it on the plan to do it. Sure enough it was on the invoice.
I was under the impression though that they had made software changes to mitigate the worst effects if it does happen? but that is purely anecdotal from a thread. Maybe this one. not going back and reading all 13 pages to check.

I was under the impression though that they had made software changes to mitigate the worst effects if it does happen? but that is purely anecdotal from a thread. Maybe this one. not going back and reading all 13 pages to check.

Yes, the "multiple systems" aspect has been moderated I think ... I also recall the software change being discussed. I am not aware if there was ever a list of VIN numbers affected but it may be a good idea for anyone who has a 2019 or a 2020 Model 3 from early in the year (and it hasn't had the corrective work carried out) it might be worth calling into your nearest Service Centre for a chat ...

Reactions: Jason71
Yes, the "multiple systems" aspect has been moderated I think ... I also recall the software change being discussed. I am not aware if there was ever a list of VIN numbers affected but it may be a good idea for anyone who has a 2019 or a 2020 Model 3 from early in the year (and it hasn't had the corrective work carried out) it might be worth calling into your nearest Service Centre for a chat ...
The fact that I have not heard of this happening in a long time certainly suggests something has been done. For the record they told me there was no sign of any water ingress into mine when they did the mods whatever they are.

Reactions: Adopado

Parts Replaced or Added
OP here. Sorry to hear this is still happening. Scary to drive. No regen, no PAS. Glad you got sorted out quickly.

My 2019 Model 3 is in with Tesla at the moment for exactly this. Just waiting on parts. Excellent service from Tesla Stockport - they go go above and beyond. Quite happy with the loaner they gave me.

They know exactly what the issue is so it should be sorted out quite straightforwardly. It's the only issue of significance since I had my car and it has since completed 2 winters so I think I can say that the water ingress has been permanently resolved. I think they change connectors now (that will be your parts issue) ... when mine was done they just dried and repositioned everything and redid the loom taping but using the original components.