Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple system failure / Wiring Harness Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They said it's a wiring loom issue. RHD only. The connector is positioned where it wasn't expected to get really wet, but clearly that's not worked out.

They now have properly waterproofed replacement kits for the service centres and the factory has been fitting the new ones for RHD for some time.

Right thinking about it now, it sounds like it is a ground issue so when water gets on the connector it comes up with all these errors, I saw someone on youtube have a similar thing happen on a Model S.

If this is correct then I can see how they have stopped the problem through software as there wasn't anything wrong the car but the software when a ground fault was detected disabled everything.

Now the question is does this grounding issue cause a real safety issue or not for the time you have to wait to get it serviced...

Last edited:
Reactions: JS77
Just got my M3 back from having a fault like this repaired.
The Tesla team were great, especially the Bristol SC staff.

They said it's a wiring loom issue. RHD only. The connector is positioned where it wasn't expected to get really wet, but clearly that's not worked out.

They now have properly waterproofed replacement kits for the service centres and the factory has been fitting the new ones for RHD for some time.

They also said the newer software adds more redundancy so it should just give a warning that a service is needed but not affect full operation. I'll ask what software build that's in as it's clear other early RHD M3 are going to have this.

Interesting. I hope the new factory builds also have better rear light assemblies!

There was a not too dissimilar issue with our previous model car. Car could go into limp home mode due to issue with an injector. VOSA issues a recall on safety grounds - I heard that it could happen at most inopportune place hence safety issue. So we got a whole new set of more recent spec injectors and wiring loom all under the recall. We also got quite a few mpg extra due to injector swap!

Well that was unnerving. Driving home from Gatwick, just as I enter the M23 northbound, multiple alerts for system failures.
  • Autopilot disabled
  • TACC disabled
  • Regenerative breaking disabled
  • Steering assist disabled
  • TPMS disabled
In fact, if there was a warning symbol for it, it was probably illuminated. No where safe to pull over so continued to Clackett services. Car seemed to drive fine but weird without regen. Would maintain speed even though foot off the accelerator. Steering, indicators and brakes all appeared to be working fine.

At Clackett, hard reset twice but no joy. Logged bug report. Decided as Dartford SC was on my way home, I should try my luck there. Without regen, consumption was high. Left Gatwick on 46%. Got to Dartford with 20% remaining. Also on incline, car would roll back - something I have not experienced since giving up manual shift many years ago. Technician downloaded log which appeared to indicate water ingress in wiring loom. Weird as car was left for a couple of nights in covered car park. Was told to book a service which I did before leaving. Ranger scheduled to visit next Wednesday. Car parked up on driveway until resolved.

View attachment 503278
Same has happened to mine in Dartford SC now, they have said it requires a new steering rack ! how long did it take for yours to be repaired ?.

VOSA issues a recall on safety grounds

The problem I suspect here is that Tesla wouldn't report the issue or avoid any blame by claiming there isn't anything wrong especially now they say they have reduced the issues to just a warning, perhaps some like minded Tesla owners might help them be reported and issue a safety recall!

If anyone affected could submit a report it would be helpful to others as only affected people seem to be able to report the issues
Vehicle recalls and faults

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger and navt
I second this suggestion. This is a serious oversight and Tesla should be publicly making their owners aware and providing a solution.
I think the problems I experience fall into the second category, second on the list.

What does not count as a serious safety defect
Things are not classed as a serious safety defect if:

• they can be found during routine maintenance and servicing
  • you’re warned about them by warning lights, noticeable changes in handling and unusual noises
  • they’re caused by you misusing the vehicle, for example overloading your vehicle causing a tyre failure

What counts as a serious safety defect
A serious safety defect is something:

• about the way the vehicle is designed or made that’s likely to cause injury or death
  • that happens suddenly and without warning
I would apply the "happens suddenly and without warning" to the

• Autopilot disabled
  • TACC disabled
  • Regenerative breaking disabled
  • Steering assist disabled

and say that if this occurred in certain situations, would the car remain safe. I could think of examples where sudden loss of the above could cause injury or death, but then I was not driving the car to know ow severe these losses were.

The recall we had on our previous car was I believe limp home mode potentially suddenly activating, and if this occurred on a motorway at high speed could cause a serious accident.

I think the problems I experience fall into the second category, second on the list.

What does not count as a serious safety defect
Things are not classed as a serious safety defect if:

• they can be found during routine maintenance and servicing
  • you’re warned about them by warning lights, noticeable changes in handling and unusual noises
  • they’re caused by you misusing the vehicle, for example overloading your vehicle causing a tyre failure

These 3 above assume not a change in actual ability of driving the car safely, limp mode sudden without at 70mph is not safe and wouldn't be classified under changes in handling

Steering assist failed on me today. With daughter at M&S less than a mile away from home. Steering was heavy AF. Only just about got home and pulled up on street. Tried calling roadside assistance but no answer. Heard a click and steering popped back to life. Got car into driveway. I’ve texted Tesla to come and pick the car up. I’ve lost patience now and I’m sick of this.

Unhelpful reply from Tesla service telling me to call roadside assistance to arrange recovery. It is not an emergency as the car is parked up (albeit very broken) on my driveway. List of users with similar problem:

@bjbrown
@CMc1
@Surf-Edinburgh
@pacman65
@Beaurobyn

Also @tesladriverinsta over on Instagram.
It's been suggested that these issues affect only early RHD models so do you know the age of the vehicles belonging to the list above? It would be interesting to see if the facts support the theory.

• Informative
Reactions: navt
Unhelpful reply from Tesla service telling me to call roadside assistance to arrange recovery. It is not an emergency as the car is parked up (albeit very broken) on my driveway. List of users with similar problem:

@bjbrown
@CMc1
@Surf-Edinburgh
@pacman65
@Beaurobyn

Also @tesladriverinsta over on Instagram.
I ignored the emergency roadside message when I had the issue on my driveway. They collected the car within an hour and towed it 100+ miles to nearest SC. Loaner was delivered by enterprise another hour or so after that.

All sorted on a 10 min call to roadside service.

I’d suggest calling them whist you have the messages on the screen so they can see on their end too.

Holding the car symbol can also snapshot the data for any future diagnosis.