Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple system failure / Wiring Harness Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is really not such a big issue as some make out. It's managable and Tesla are managing it well IMO.

If they were taking proactive measures to ensure affected cars are fixed before the problems occur then that would be managing well, waiting for cars to break down is not managing it well.

We know that Tesla make the cars in batches, so they will know how many cars would be affected, have they issued a recall or notified these owners of this potential problem...

It's not affecting all early RHD 3s though is it? There may have been a small number with that early loom where the connector is more vulnerable for some reason. Who knows? I've been through massive stretches of standing water at speed with no issues.

We don't know if it is affecting all early RHD cars as we are not Tesla and don't have access to the data but you could easily guess seeing as cars are made in batches we would have an idea of when the changes (if any) have been made.

Affected VINS
If anybody affected or has had their car fixed, I would and I am sure others would really appreciate it if you could confirm the VIN range of your car.

Out of the last 6 digits of the VIN ie 413XXX

Appreciate any feedback from affected users
@bjbrown
@CMc1
@Surf-Edinburgh
@pacman65
@Beaurobyn
@navt
@Andy_T_73
@Plagued
@victorgse

Reactions: Adopado
I'm not suggesting you or your wife carry on driving it with those systems disabled the whole time, but it's possible to drive the car without crashing and many have in order to get it home or to a SC.

If you're too nervous about it, stop and call recovery. It's always an option.

if my connector exhibits this problem at some point, I'll return to this thread and you can say "told you so". ;)
I'm not trying to be difficult, start an argument or over dramatise things, but there's no way this isn't a safety issue. Tesla have just issued a recall for early model X's where the power steering bolts might rust and could snap losing power steering. Now if they feel that this requires a recall, then how can this known and rectified fault not also be a recall, as with the bolts it's possible that only a small percentage of people will hit the issue, but it's a fault that has been rectified and needs retrofitting to everyone rather than just wait for it to maybe happen.
Again, if they can stop all the systems disabling via software then I'm happy, no safety issue just inconvenience.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Affected VINS
If anybody affected or has had their car fixed, I would and I am sure others would really appreciate it if you could confirm the VIN range of your car.

Out of the last 6 digits of the VIN ie 413XXX

Appreciate any feedback from affected users
@bjbrown
@CMc1
@Surf-Edinburgh
@pacman65
@Beaurobyn
@navt
@Andy_T_73
@Plagued
@victorgse
SR+ VIN 463XXX has the issue, day 0 order but was one of the first in the country with a tow bar so was not in the first batch of deliveries
Performance VIN 448XXX does not (yet?) have the issue and was on the boat before the SR+
If I can get some info on what part of the harness has the issue, I'll happily pull the frunk cover off the Performance and see if I can see the beginnings of any issue.

SR+ VIN 463XXX has the issue, day 0 order but was one of the first in the country with a tow bar so was not in the first batch of deliveries
Performance VIN 448XXX does not (yet?) have the issue and was on the boat before the SR+
If I can get some info on what part of the harness has the issue, I'll happily pull the frunk cover off the Performance and see if I can see the beginnings of any issue.

I also have an SR+ with tow bar and Vin 463XXX ... (delivered 4th September 2019) no problems so far but you are not filling me with confidence!

From FB group. The problem apparently stems from a piece of trim not being flush with the bottom of the windscreen on some cars, so it sticks up and water running down the glass can get under it and onto the connector. So just check how yours is positioned and if it's sticking up push it down to where it should be.
86185327_4261775940514589_7011799702907650048_o.jpg

From FB group. The problem apparently stems from a piece of trim not being flush with the bottom of the windscreen on some cars, so it sticks up and water running down the glass can get under it and onto the connector. So just check how yours is positioned and if it's sticking up push it down to where it should be.

Brilliant! Many thanks. Will take a look once the rain stops ... so probably sometime in June.

SCs are apparently replacing that section of loom with one which uses waterproof connectors. Whether they will do that by request without you having the errors, I don't know. Maybe if your car is in a SC for something else they will automatically do the work?

Personally, I may just take the frunk out of mine and inspect the connector to see if it's got water on it after Storm Dennis has gone. If it has survived Dennis I reckon it's not going to be a problem, as my trim looks like the the one in the photo above and isn't sticking up.

Would be interesting to hear if anyone has the conversation with an SC about having the loom replaced without any errors being thrown...

86185327_4261775940514589_7011799702907650048_o.jpg
Thanks for this. I just checked mine and can see that the plastic trim is flush, i.e. not projecting above the window. However it butts up against the window rather than slipping underneath it. It appears that there is a seal at the base of the window which maybe should overlap the trim?

Currently it looks like rain could still get down through the join area - the screen and trim are flush but no overlap and seal, so still a small gap. How does everyone else's look please?

Thanks for this. I just checked mine and can see that the plastic trim is flush, i.e. not projecting above the window. However it butts up against the window rather than slipping underneath it. It appears that there is a seal at the base of the window which maybe should overlap the trim?

Currently it looks like rain could still get down through the join area - the screen and trim are flush but no overlap and seal, so still a small gap. How does everyone else's look please?
Mine's the same as yours. It doesn't (and I don't think it's designed to) underlap the glass. I think as long as it's not sticking up i.e not seated properly, it will be OK but if you're concerned I would suggest removing the frunk and checking around the connector as I'm going to do once it stops bloody raining!

Mine's the same as yours. It doesn't (and I don't think it's designed to) underlap the glass. I think as long as it's not sticking up i.e not seated properly, it will be OK but if you're concerned I would suggest removing the frunk and checking around the connector as I'm going to do once it stops bloody raining!
Ah good. I was thinking it would be a major issue if the whole thing needed to underlap. However I'm still not sure where the water goes after its sneaked down through that crack. Maybe reseating the trim makes another seal underneath somewhere? Nailing it down here in Derby so likely will need to wait before I start taking the frunk to bits. But please post back if you spot anything. Cheers

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
I wonder if it would be an idea to disconnect the connector slip a piece of heat shrink over it. Reconnect it, heat gun to seal the heat shrink.
Don’t know about disconnecting the connector, if that would affect the car?
Thoughts
Dave

I wonder if it would be an idea to disconnect the connector slip a piece of heat shrink over it. Reconnect it, heat gun to seal the heat shrink.
Don’t know about disconnecting the connector, if that would affect the car?
Thoughts
Dave

I was thinking of self amalgamating tape that can be fully waterproof and can be easily cut off if access is needed in the future. It's often used for outside connections for aerials and the like, as well as some automotive stuff.

I was thinking of self amalgamating tape that can be fully waterproof and can be easily cut off if access is needed in the future. It's often used for outside connections for aerials and the like, as well as some automotive stuff.
I’d never heard of that tape before. A quick search, looks good, saves disconnecting the connector. Might be worth a try

I’d never heard of that tape before. A quick search, looks good, saves disconnecting the connector. Might be worth a try
Does look worth a try. However, looking at the pics in the thread above, presumably water shouldn't be getting there? There's also electical gubbins on the other side? Anyone able to comment on how easy (or otherwise) it is to get to the connector please?

Does look worth a try. However, looking at the pics in the thread above, presumably water shouldn't be getting there? There's also electical gubbins on the other side? Anyone able to comment on how easy (or otherwise) it is to get to the connector please?
Actually, I've just realised you don't need to remove the frunk to see that connector. You just pull off the bit of trim which gives access to the brake reservoir. So it's very easy.

I've just taken a look at mine so I'll post some pics in a minute.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.