Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple system failure / Wiring Harness Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Urgh, just noticed mine has this issue with trim sitting proud of the base of the windscreen and it’s been peeing it down all afternoon.

Will hope a little bit of pressure will fix this first thing tomorrow and I don’t break anything on day two of ownership!

So same as others here, window cowl not sitting flush with base of windscreen, but I quick bit of thumb work and it’s back in place.

Sits further away at the edges left and right but guessing the rubber seal allows for moisture to drain away either side

This is how I found it:

A364476C-A583-4776-9390-21CC7E0F4D6B.jpeg
6991E05E-F6C6-4B40-89C7-E97B7EE9CF2B.jpeg

Any defects on delivery should be reported back to Tesla as a service item. Otherwise this information is not passed back to Production. These cars are manufactured by robots so calibration errors are multiplied. It is quite unacceptable that @Boggle car and others have the same defect as mine manufactured in June last year.

I've got my car back... oooh so nice to be back in it.
It took them a couple of hours to identify and fix the issue, but 3 weeks to sit in a queue :(
Description of work reads:
Carried out diagnosis and found issue with chassis CAN signal at EPAS connector plug. Carried out necessary repair to vehicle connector plug and wiring.
So this does indeed look like the water ingress issue.

I checked my M3P at the weekend and everything looked dry under the windscreen and I thought the seal looked flush with the glass, so I thought my car was okay. On the M25 this morning and the screen light up with all the error messages and beeps described above.

I am so glad for this forum and this thread as I knew straight away what the problem was. I slowed down, came off the M4 and dropped the car off at West Drayton. Technician had a look and could see a gap on the passenger side that meant water had got into the CAN and disabled a bunch of systems. They booked the car in for repair straight away, but I have no idea how long it will take.

I think they have a few of these happening right now, but perhaps they need to start being more proactive especially as the symptoms could be scary if it happened to someone not on TMC.

• Informative
Reactions: Rooster6655
I think they have a few of these happening right now, but perhaps they need to start being more proactive especially as the symptoms could be scary if it happened to someone not on TMC.

Exactly this.

It would be interesting to see if the new batch of RHD M3s making their way into the UK at the moment have been updated somehow to address this issue. Seems a huge oversight for an Electric car manufacturer not to properly test for water ingress into major components. (Although I guess you could argue it is being tested by early adopters...! :eek: )

• Funny
Reactions: Rooster6655
I must be missing something really obvious because all I can see in the big photos posted earlier is the windscreen wiper?
If you mean my pics, if you look between the wipers you can see where the screen ends and then there’s a circa 3mm gap to the cowl and rubber seal where the water will just run down on to the electrical components apparently.

Admittedly, the pics are all a lot of the same colour!!

Very pleased to have the M3 back home this afternoon. Very good response from Edinburgh Service Centre having left it them with it last thing on Monday. Fixed the following day (despite not having been booked in) and was ready for pickup today after a wash, vacuum and partial charge for the homeward journey. I thanked the staff for their ready response and let them know that the Edinburgh Service Centre has a good reputation on our forum.

Confirmed that the problem was as predicted i.e. cowl seal at windscreen allowing water ingress and consequent electrical issues. I have not required Service before so was interested to see the up dates received via the app. I received an estimated completion time and then a confirmation that the car was ready for pickup. I was also able to ascertain that they had put it on charge on an in-house 11kW charger.

Happy to return the Model S and to be back driving the 3! I previously regarded the 3 as a very large car (for me) so having a couple of days of the Model S put that into perspective ... the 3 feels more like a sports car now! BTW the Edinburgh Service Centre was packed with Models 3s that have just been delivered ... most of them white by the look of it.

Reactions: navt
If you mean my pics, if you look between the wipers you can see where the screen ends and then there’s a circa 3mm gap to the cowl and rubber seal where the water will just run down on to the electrical components apparently.

Admittedly, the pics are all a lot of the same colour!!

Any chance you could highlight the affected area on the photo as I too am clueless.

these are from mine today

IMG-0686.jpg

IMG-0687.jpg

IMG-0691.jpg

IMG-0692.jpg

IMG-0698.jpg

IMG-0699.jpg

IMG-0700.jpg

IMG-0701.jpg
Thanks for posting these. Am I right in thinking that on your car the seal at the base of the screen overlaps the plastic cowl please? Mine did not need pressing down and sits flush with the seal, but not underlapping it. So still a small gap for water ingress. Other cars appear to be the same as mine.

So I'm still not sure what actually prevents water ingress and where the seal should be? Thanks

Thanks for posting these. Am I right in thinking that on your car the seal at the base of the screen overlaps the plastic cowl please? Mine did not need pressing down and sits flush with the seal, but not underlapping it. So still a small gap for water ingress. Other cars appear to be the same as mine.

So I'm still not sure what actually prevents water ingress and where the seal should be? Thanks

that’s correct. The cowl (mostly) sits below the seal by 0.5mm

Upon first inspection, the driver side for me was like yours; sitting mostly flush. Only took a slight press for it to positively click into place. Applying any further pressure wouldn’t move the cowl any further below the seal. The compression of the seal seems much tighter once pressed down and clicked into place.

the passenger side was much more awkward. It had become completely detached. I had to apply pressure under the seal to maintain its position while gently applying pressure to the top of the cowl gently clicking it into position 10mm segments at a time until I had worked my way across the cowl.

I’m not 100% if this is the correct seating position for the cowl vs seal but it does appear to ‘feel’ like the intended position once clicked into place.
Hope that helps

• Informative
Reactions: Torokruger
Hmmm, a bit worrying then, possibly for quite a few of us. Your last photograph does show the screen seal overlapping and this seems to make sense. My cowl is seated but still sits marginally forward of the seal i.e. a very small gap but one which water could definitely penetrate.

I may book a service request just to try to get some formal feedback from Tesla about this and to "mark their card".

Any other comments from owners about this appreciated please. Screen seal overlapping cowl - or not?

Cheers