Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Munro Teardown (Part 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite the turnaround. Hopefully they will go back and correct some of the misinformation in the first video.

Makes sense when the focus moves on from stuff he doesn't like (stuff that is very electric centric) and stuff that's far more worthy of "WTF dudes?" (poorly aligned panels, that weather stripping BS, shipping "beta" production units...albeit it to friendly customers so it's more-so structured as an "open beta").

He's an old-school guy, he likes highly engineered material stuff. *shrug* Tesla is pushing some traditionally high-end stuff down the price range, Musk has been pretty explicit about that. Also EVs have some large inherent benefits for some long running difficult areas of vehicle design, there's stuff that an EV drivetrain is capable of that really change engineering trade-off points in vehicles.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily disagree with some of his findings in the original video. Having weatherproofing glued onto an existing piece seems really hacky. And he wasn't wrong with the panel gaps on that trunk lid. But that's the thing: he won't disclose how he got that car, so it's hard to know if it's a good representation of the production cars rolling out to customers now.

I dont know about you all, but I have never once looked at how any panels have lined up on any car that I have ever purchased. If you have to measure this stuff with a caliper, you are talking about tiny infinitesimal portion of the market for this vehicle. Whoever commissioned this work is focusing on the wrong thing. They would be better off with a focus group of the all important 25-35 demographic where participants drive the car for a week and compare it to what they are used to. I can assure you that no one will mention the panel gaps that need to be measured with a caliper.

I dont know what competitors think they are going to learn from this fledgling manufacturer. If anything, this report so far says they should not try to learn anything from Tesla. And again, they would be looking at the shiny object that has nothing to do with why they are falling behind. Its clear that they are lost by the fact that a company exists to tear apart a product to report on how its made. That is not innovation, that is copying.

Edit: You know who hasnt shipped a bolt to their factory to tear it apart and see how its made? Or any vehicle for that matter?