Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Murdered out Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
im digging that new front nose but not feeling that the paint is not 100% match in the sun...

Very observant. I had exactly the same concern and when I called to inquire about the nose and installation, brought it up. Was told that the one in the photos was wrapped with black vinyl, not painted.

And no, I am not a vendor for either company. Getting a personal Model 3 and deciding what changes to make to it as I don't "love" it in its stock form. As I noted, too high. When I can get my full hand between the fender and wheel of any car other than a truck, it's too high!! For my taste. Two finger rule. Three at the maximum!!

I understand what the aero wheels are for, but could never have them on my personal car. I like that they still look like a factory wheel. And as far as the nose goes, just my personal taste. Read my old posts, I hated it when the X came out with it, then when the Model S changed to the same front end language and even more on the Model 3 since it has noting to break it up like the S & X do.

Obviously, its my car, I'm the only one that has to love it. But, typically before I do any type of modifications, in consideration of resale value, I like to get other opinions to see if I'm way out in left field and something I'm considering as a modification is viewed differently than I may see it.

And I agree, the term "murdered out" is horrible. Have heard it for a while now, but no clue how that one made it mainstream!

Well, have come to the realization that it will be MY car and I'm the ONLY one that has to like it. Naturally, we all have our own personal tastes. As I originally noted, for my own personal taste, have never been a fan of Tesla's new front design language. The Model X was the first. It was originally designed with a nose cone like the S. Then it came out with the flat space in the place of where the nose cone would be. Basically, they just removed the nose cone and kept the same general shape. The the Model 3 was released. Loved everything about it, but hated the front end. Again, just personal taste. To me, it was worse because it had nothing to break it up. The S & X at least have the mustache to break up the front a little. Then they followed suit on the S and didn't like it there either. Figured it would grow on me, but after 2+ years, it hasn't.

From the side and rear, I love the Model 3. Tesla couldn't have done much better. From directly in front, with the nose raised up, the already narrow car that is the Model 3, looks even narrower. From the side and rear, it looks like a mid-size car. From the front, it looks abnormally narrow to me. What I do like about the Unplugged nose is that it lowers the front height of it and the car certainly looks wider in front and to me, more proportionate to the rest of the car.

Anyway, that's just my personal opinion of it with my own two eyes for my particular taste. Clearly some people love the front end as it is. Clearly not everyone has the same tastes. Would be a boring world if we did. At this point, I'll give it another couple of days, just in case, but I think I'm convinced I'll be going that direction as it simply suits my tastes better, which I guess is all that matters. I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Definitely made me give it some extra thought.

The good thing, it's all reversible, so stock wheels, nose and springs can be put back on and the blackout vinyl can always be removed.

Thanks

Reactions: Lasairfion
All three of my cars have been ticketed in the City (SF) for no front plates, in the span of a year. They're cracking down due to all the plate scanners they're putting in at the toll booths and hov lanes. Prior to that, I didn't wear plates for 30 years without a problem in LA, OC or the South Bay.

BTW, I love the blackout look. And personally I like the Unplugged front-end.

I've never heard the term "Murdered Out" before. I actually thought the title was a spelling error for "Murdered Our Model 3" and presumed that the OP had somehow killed their car.

To add my tuppennorth, I think that you can do what you want with your car. I actually quite like some of the crazy 'ricer' or 'pimped' car stuff. I think in this day and age of endless boring grey / silver car colours, it's fun to see someone express themselves more creatively. If you want to do something to your car, that you have to drive (and to be able to find it in the car park again when everyone else's car looks the same), then go for it! :)

Heck, screw the blacked out version, I'm going with this one!!!! :p

s-l1600.jpg

First thought is that it'll still be illegal until they add the front plate in CA.
You can do digital in the rear, but afaik you still have to mount a normal plate in the front.

Unlikely to be an issue. I've never run a front plate on my cars, 5 years in WA, 16 years in CA. Every so often someone comes out of the woodwork and says "it's getting worse" but that's never been my experience. First it was because of the laser guns in WA, then because of laser guns in CA, now the latest is due to the proliferation of ANPR.. the fact of the matter is there simply aren't that many police around here and they have better things to do. I hear of people occasionally getting tickets from a meter maid in SF, but those stories are not new, I've still never had an issue.

I've personally never liked the all blacked out car look, to me it looks like something a kid would do or a cop. I am a fan though of the door handles being the same color. I'm getting mine wrapped in blue.

Agreed. I'm considering wrapping the brightwork on the window trim on our red 3 but I don't mind the door handles as much. I've just never been a fan of chrome, on anything. Still need to tint the windows first though, maybe 40%.

I would have gone with lighter wheels. Those form cast boat anchor 20's (~34 lbs) are heavy...it would look better with their 20 Forged wheels which only weight (~21.45)... no way in the world I would ever get that pricey digital license plate either.... the murdered out look used to look cool until everyone started doing it... now its just MEH..

34lbs????? Holy schnikes! The fugly 19" boat anchors that came on my Golf were 'only' 25lbs and I got some much better looking 18s at 19lbs each for only $280 apiece. I can't fathom what would lead someone to want to destroy their performance and ride quality with such heavy wheels, in addition to the obvious ride quality hit you get from the extra low profile tires.

As for the minivan, reminds me of when my grandma got a black leather jacket...

Looks-wise, to each their own. I agree the 3 looks a bit narrow from front and rear and the lowering does help; from the rear, particularly, the car looks narrow because it looks virtually identical to the much-wider S, so it really stands out. If the S never existed, I'm not sure I'd feel the same way from the rear. From the front, i think it looks narrow because the hood is so low, you get SO much windshield glass, it looks a bit like a bubble car. I love it from inside, amazing view of the road, it just throws the proportions off a little bit, visually.

I'm not a sedan fan, but this is the first car I've bought that I'd put in the "appliance category", so I just don't care that much; it doesn't need to look perfect because it's already not my choice in form factor, and there are so many others on the road anyway. Though I guess I can see how that would make some people want to stand out more. I guess in the past my cars have already stood out from being relatively uncommon on the road. Not to say I wasn't really excited about getting the 3, but it's more about what it represents than what it looks like or how it handles.

• Funny
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Finally had a chance to look up the wheels. 34 lbs is for the 10" wide wheel. 31 lbs for the 8" wheels. 2 lbs more than the Tesla 20" wheel. But, Tesla's turbine wheel which these were modeled after are 38 pounds for the 10" wide inch wheel. So relative to a similar wheel, they right on par. The 20" slip stream wheel for the X is 33 lbs. Again, right on par with what Tesla builds and delivers their cars with. Nobody is ever going to notice a difference or one or two pounds in terms of ride quality or handling. You can always pony up $1,000 per wheel for custom light weight wheels that will bend if you look at them wrong. I have custom wheels on my Model S (same size as stock 21's), with that heavy of a car on low profile tires, pretty much any pothole I hit bends the wheels. Have replaced them countless time.