Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music on external drive missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC,
this is my first post here and I hope it's the correct location in the forum.

I just partitioned an external hard drive to use as storage for both camera footage and music, replacing the "default" USB stick approach.
Everything works fine.
Dashcam and sentry videos are stored in one partition.
Music on the other one is detected.

The problem is, that a lot of music is not showing.
It's several hundred gigabytes of music. When switching to the "folders"-view every folder is listed but some are empty.
Every music file is .mp3, readable and playable (tested with several other devices).
The hard drive is fine (made a hardware / sector / block test).

Another weird thing is that the scrollbar seems to be shifted.
If I select the letter "Q" with the alphabetical scroll bar on the right side, the view will jump to folders starting with the letter "P" instead as if everything is shifted a little bit.
I only have one folder with starting with "Q" and it's one of those that are shown but empty.

Is this a know issue and is there a fix for this?

It's a 2021 Model 3 (if this is important).

Best regards!

M3 owner here - Generally speaking I love my car, but the whole USB music situation with Tesla is pretty crappy (search the forums and you'll find numerous threads with numerous issues, many of which have been ongoing for years). For me personally, I found that the more files/data I loaded on there, the longer it took to load and the buggier everything got. Eventually I pared it back to only the stuff I listened to most. It still stinks, and I really wish I could have all my music available, all the time - but it does perform a bit better this way.

I've also noticed the scroll bar issue, but in light of everything else that's busted with USB playback I never even considering trying to bring that one to Tesla's ear :).

Ah I see....
That's very sad but I think it's also not really a top priority for the development team.
I will try only adding the music that I currently listen to as you suggested.
Thanks for the reply.

I've also had better results with keeping the in-car usb music library lean and mean. As far as some items showing up and some not - try checking file permissions. The underlying linux system is very finicky about permissions - you want read and write access for everyone.