Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Music reverts to Bluetooth phone connection every time: “Choose media from phone”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this has been happening ever since the version 9 update. Every single time I get in my car, the radio automatically reverts to the Bluetooth connection as the main music source, displaying the message “Choose media from phone.”

It’s especially annoying if I have an album playing from Slacker, I get out of the car and run into a store, come back, find the “Choose media from phone message” displaying, and have now lost my place in the album in Slacker.

Anyone know of any tricks to keep the radio defaulting to Slacker, as opposed to trying to connect to my phone?

Reactions: SigNC
Mine always defaults to either slacker or FM depending which I had on when I got out.

It's never played anything from BT at all (I use USB key, which it seemingly never defaults to, to play local content)

That said- how do you get slacker to play entire albums? For me it plays one song from an artist then goes to a different artist entirely of some related type/genre.

You'd need to sign up for Premium account at ~$10/m and login with the credentials on your M≡.

Exactly, otherwise it works like Pandora, pretty much a 'mix tape' based upon the seed song.

I think this is the most disappointing feature of the car. The vast majority of people who stream music are on either Spotify or Apple Music (and yes I'm well aware of the deficiency of those platforms, and no one loves a monopoly) but I have a family Apple Music plan (plus a bunch of uploaded CDs) so I don't want to sign up for something else.

Without Apple Play and with the relatively poor BT Audio, not to mention the inability to control my iPhone from the touch screen which even my lowly Golf had, it seems the media functionality is a huge missed opportunity.

Mine does the same thing, switching to the phone virtually every time I exit and reenter the car.

That's okay, my Model S has, for years, switched to KLUV radio station nearly every time I enter and exit the S.

In my less generous moments, I rant at my cars "How is Tesla going to solve autonomous driving if they can't even store and retrieve a single variable that contains the current audio source?"

Maybe this is a scheme to save data bandwidth? After a while, you may just decide to use a music app on your phone and use your own data. Even if you will start up Slacker again, it will be after you unlock the car, sit inside, do you thing... so saving a few min of data usage per entry per car. It maybe saving many terabytes of data per day across a few hundred thousands cars....

Maybe this is a scheme to save data bandwidth? After a while, you may just decide to use a music app on your phone and use your own data. Even if you will start up Slacker again, it will be after you unlock the car, sit inside, do you thing... so saving a few min of data usage per entry per car. It maybe saving many terabytes of data per day across a few hundred thousands cars....

We should be able to use our own data to stream the built-in apps. Cars that offer Pandora built-in to the OEM head unit uses the driver's phone's data to stream. No reason Tesla can't do the same I think.

We should be able to use our own data to stream the built-in apps. Cars that offer Pandora built-in to the OEM head unit uses the driver's phone's data to stream. No reason Tesla can't do the same I think.

There is no Spotify app on US cars.

See again exclusive agreement with slacker.

You can stream it from your phone using the phone app of course

I only use my phone's connection for calls, not audio like music or videos, so I turned it off on my phone's Bluetooth setting .

Screenshot_20181108_065835.jpg

This way when my car connects to the phone, it only switches audio over during calls.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181108_065835.jpg
    Screenshot_20181108_065835.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 45
I know this is an old thread, but it talks about a problem that I am having with my audio. I own a 2016 Model S 90D, and a few months ago I also started getting the message "Choose Media Source" every time I got into my car after being parked overnight--possibly after an update (I don't remember). The update version I have is 2022.8.10.5. I use a USB drive with mp3 files on it for my music, so I have to hit the USB icon to get to my music source.

That in itself is an inconvenience, but also when I get to the USB drive I then have to select the particular track I want played. On the monitor, there is about 10 tracks, displayed in alphabetical order by track, that I can select from. These tracks are close to the last track played before I last got out of the car before parking it overnight, but I often can not remember the last track that it played. So I have to scroll through the menu to try to find it if I can remember. This gets very annoying.

My question is: is there some setting on the screen that I can choose to make my audio get back to the USB drive and to the last track played when I get back in my car?