Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says Cybertruck Doors Will Open Automatically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said Thursday that the production version of the Cybertruck will not include door handles.

The concept vehicle that debuted in November 2019 was built with door handles, however Musk says the doors on the production version will open automatically.

Musk previously said there would be slight revisions to the truck before production. There was speculation that Tesla might slightly shrink the overall proportions, but it seems the truck will be as hulking as the prototype. Musk recently said the vehicle will be “almost exactly” the same as the prototype.

Tesla is currently working to finish the construction of a new factory near Austin, Texas that will be the home of Cybertruck production. The first deliveries of the Cybertruck are expected to start later this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
bullet proof glass and bullet proof steel panels and no door handles to assist opening in an emergency .... cremation is free on the house though
I feel that having a gas car with the equivalent of 80 sticks of dynamite in the rear is far more likely to end in cremation. Battery fires are not so common. But that said, perhaps the Tesla people will make a solution so the fire department can open the doors easily. Thankfully those instances would be rare.

After more thought, I don't like this "automatic opening" idea. For a car, perhaps it's cool: You leave your house, walk to your car, and it opens for you. You leave your office and you walk to your car, and it opens for you.

For (pickup) truck, the scenarios are more nuanced: At a job site, you are constantly walking near the truck - loading or unloading the bed, walking past either driver or passenger door etc. I can see it getting annoying having the door pop open constantly. Perhaps there's an option to turn that off, but it's equally annoying to have to use your phone to open the door when you need to. Key fob with a button is a requirement so I can open the door at a job-site when I need to, without gloves, or having to pull my phone out in harsh environments just to enter the vehicle.
I'm "OK" with no handles, that's cool - just make the logic work in a "work" environment with little to no reliance on a smartphone.
But how will passengers open their doors? It is a 4 door after all, the truck will need to know who is going to enter the vehicle without any electronic tags on the passengers. Camera's can help identify, but not read minds(yet).

Y'all are killing me with your worries about the auto-open doors. You realize it will be using the same computer that navigates in self-driving mode, right? How can they possibly ever have FSD if they can't solve this simple problem?
  • Is person the owner? Yes
  • Are they approaching? Yes
  • Eyes looking at vehicle? Yes
  • Arm outstretched? Yes
  • Within 3 feet? Yes
  • -> Opening door

Y'all are killing me with your worries about the auto-open doors. You realize it will be using the same computer that navigates in self-driving mode, right? How can they possibly ever have FSD if they can't solve this simple problem?
  • Is person the owner? Yes
  • Are they approaching? Yes
  • Eyes looking at vehicle? Yes
  • Arm outstretched? Yes
  • Within 3 feet? Yes
  • -> Opening door
If we're relying on the camera to open do all that, then I know some tricks to play on my fellow cybertrk owners that involve some chewing gum!

After more thought, I don't like this "automatic opening" idea. For a car, perhaps it's cool: You leave your house, walk to your car, and it opens for you. You leave your office and you walk to your car, and it opens for you.

For (pickup) truck, the scenarios are more nuanced: At a job site, you are constantly walking near the truck -
I agree but I leave my fob in the house if I'm working in the garage or detailing the car. Are we sure there may even be a fob? Maybe this is just phone as a key. In that case, there could be a toggle in the app that opens selected doors.
As far as this truck making it to a job site, I really doubt it. And if it is driven to a job site, it will probably be parked in the paved parking lot.

I had a door actuator go bad on my Model X driver's side. There was NO WAY to exit the vehicle on that side. I had to wait two weeks to get a SC appointment, and in that time, I had to climb out over the console and out the passenger's side door. It wasn't safe at all. I would prefer manual door latches to motorized door actuators, and I would not buy a car that relied on a computer in order to open the door at all.

What if a bunch of unfriendly people are throwing cream pies at your face. Making you unrecognizable, and then you try to get into in your Cybertruck so you can run them over?
It will support “clown mode” for this case, but so far the AI hasn’t been able to recognize drivers after a chocolate cream or blackberry pie attack ;-). Those will be supported in future updates

The F150 and it's kin all look so...1900's, amirite?
YOU ARE SO RIGHT. All these old dudes (I'm not in that group, being only 77) get stuck on what a pickup is supposed to look like, while I like to remain unbiased and fluid in my thinking. Of course, that's why I drive Teslas instead of Fords or Chevys. So out of date!