Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Must have accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

So I have a model s on order and was thinking about the new (2016) HPWC, not planning on getting the dual chargers. Does anyone know if it is ok to hook the HPWC up to 100 Amps - even though the car won't draw the 80 amps? Will it only draw what it needs? (want to future proof in case I want to upgrade later)

Yes, you can. Inside the HPWC, you can configure to exactly how much power you want to use. My car doesn't have dual charger, so I configured my HPWC to 40 Amp, and it'll only use up to 40A maximum.

Yes, you can. Inside the HPWC, you can configure to exactly how much power you want to use. My car doesn't have dual charger, so I configured my HPWC to 40 Amp, and it'll only use up to 40A maximum.

Actually, there are several pieces here... Each configurable at some level.
  • The car, and if it is setup to use a single charger / standard charger (40A) old style dual chargers (80A), or high amperage charger upgrade (72A), as well as the internal configuration of the car (which can be set to pull a lower amperage if needed).
  • The wall charger, You can configure the HPWC for the maximum available amperage using an internal switch. This setting will tell the car how much power (amps) it could take, assuming the car can take that much based on the charger(s) and configuration setting. Note, this can actually be set lower than 40A if for some reason your system cant handle a full 40A circuit (60A breaker)
  • The supply, including wires, circuit breaker, and supply. While the car and wall charger can talk to each other and will negotiate the best speed, the power supply side is not "smart" and you have to tell the wall charger how much power is available. the important thing here is to make sure that the HPWC is set to draw NO MORE THAN the limit that the power supply can handle. So, if you use a 60A breaker, you SHOULD NOT set the HPWC higher than that (actually a bit lower, but there is a conversion chart in the docs). or even if your breaker is 100A, but you are using wires that are not large enough, you would need to set the HPWC at the level that the wire can handle. If the HPWC was set higher than the supply could handle, it could either trip the breaker each time it started, or even start a fire in an extreme case.

so, some examples (assuming no electrical problems and the car charging settings at max)
  • single-charger car -> HPWC(set to 40A): Will pull 40A
  • dual-charger car -> HPWC(set to 40A) Will still pull only 40A
  • single-charger car -> HPWC(set to 80A) will only pull 40A
  • dual-charger car -> HPWC(set to 80A) will pull 72A/80A (depending on the car version)
So, you don't have to set the HPWC for 40A to limit it for the car... the car wont pull more than it can handle.

Reactions: bhzmark and Joelc
Actually, there are several pieces here... Each configurable at some level.
  • The car, and if it is setup to use a single charger / standard charger (40A) old style dual chargers (80A), or high amperage charger upgrade (72A), as well as the internal configuration of the car (which can be set to pull a lower amperage if needed).
  • The wall charger, You can configure the HPWC for the maximum available amperage using an internal switch. This setting will tell the car how much power (amps) it could take, assuming the car can take that much based on the charger(s) and configuration setting. Note, this can actually be set lower than 40A if for some reason your system cant handle a full 40A circuit (60A breaker)
  • The supply, including wires, circuit breaker, and supply. While the car and wall charger can talk to each other and will negotiate the best speed, the power supply side is not "smart" and you have to tell the wall charger how much power is available. the important thing here is to make sure that the HPWC is set to draw NO MORE THAN the limit that the power supply can handle. So, if you use a 60A breaker, you SHOULD NOT set the HPWC higher than that (actually a bit lower, but there is a conversion chart in the docs). or even if your breaker is 100A, but you are using wires that are not large enough, you would need to set the HPWC at the level that the wire can handle. If the HPWC was set higher than the supply could handle, it could either trip the breaker each time it started, or even start a fire in an extreme case.

so, some examples (assuming no electrical problems and the car charging settings at max)
  • single-charger car -> HPWC(set to 40A): Will pull 40A
  • dual-charger car -> HPWC(set to 40A) Will still pull only 40A
  • single-charger car -> HPWC(set to 80A) will only pull 40A
  • dual-charger car -> HPWC(set to 80A) will pull 72A/80A (depending on the car version)
So, you don't have to set the HPWC for 40A to limit it for the car... the car wont pull more than it can handle.

Crystal clear and a great response. Thanks for clarifying. Key piece is the car will negotiable and only pull what it needs, even if f the charger is capable of more. Thought that was the case, but wanted to make sure. Appreciate the help....

Has anyone with a refreshed face lift MS been able to find a sunglasses clip that will fit? Apparently, the ones on Evannex states that they are only compatible with vehicles prior to 12/1/14.
Actually I have the EVAnnex one in my June (facelift) 2016 MS. It appears that cars after 12/1/14 have a couple of vareties of trim in the headliner, some are compatible, some aren't. It works ok, but any time I do a reasonable launch, the glasses go flying backwards. In my prior S I had a $2 clip on my visor that worked great, but it just looked a bit tacky.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
It will only draw at max whatever the car can handle... but my suggestion is, get the price for both, as well as the option of putting in a 60A breaker, but running cable that can handle 100A. (in which case you can quickly swap out the breaker at a later date).
I wouldn't bother with the 60A breaker if you're going with the heavy gauge wire, you won't save all that much money over the 100A breaker, and if you ever do upgrade you've paid twice. There's no downside to feeding a HPWC at 100A for a car that can't do it.

The only reason I could see to do this would be if you were putting in a 14-50 outlet instead of a HPWC, then it might make sense to run the large wire for future-proofing, but a smaller breaker as the outlet isn't rated for the high current. But if you're bothering with a HPWC anyway, and paying for the large wire, you might as well put the big breaker in too.

Reactions: Cyclone
I wouldn't bother with the 60A breaker if you're going with the heavy gauge wire, you won't save all that much money over the 100A breaker, and if you ever do upgrade you've paid twice. There's no downside to feeding a HPWC at 100A for a car that can't do it.

True... sort of... some electricians will charge based on a "book" price, which is significantly higher for a 100A circuit than for a 60A circuit, and then simply add the extra cost of the larger wire.. meaning, in those cases, the 60A could be much less, even though it is not much different from the POV of the materials.

Also, once you go above 60A, there are other requirements that may come into play such as disconnects etc that need to be installed.

That's why I mainly suggested getting the prices and figuring it out from there...

Reactions: bhzmark and Cyclone
True... sort of... some electricians will charge based on a "book" price, which is significantly higher for a 100A circuit than for a 60A circuit, and then simply add the extra cost of the larger wire.. meaning, in those cases, the 60A could be much less, even though it is not much different from the POV of the materials.

Also, once you go above 60A, there are other requirements that may come into play such as disconnects etc that need to be installed.

That's why I mainly suggested getting the prices and figuring it out from there...
But if you do plan to upgrade in the future, you pretty much negate the savings by paying for it all again.

Not sure if we fall in line with "accessories" but we do offer a number of performance and aesthetic upgrades for Model S and Model X including carbon fiber steering wheels and seat backs, full aero kits, carbon ceramic big brake kits, aftermarket wheels, suspension lowering brackets and more.

IMG_5773_BE.jpg
IMG_2184.JPG
IMG_2207.JPG
IMG_6538.JPG

But if you do plan to upgrade in the future, you pretty much negate the savings by paying for it all again.

Possibly, depending on how far in the future it is... if the job is for future proofing, and it is in the category of "maybe, in 3-5 years" then it's probably better to keep the money now... if it is likely to happen in less than a year, definitely... but again, that's why I suggested getting prices for each option.. then he can figure out which makes sense based on his plans and concerns.

In addition, it is much easier for a normal homeowner to purchase a 100A breaker and swap the existing 60A one than it is to select and run the cable. I'm not suggesting that either necessarily depending on the homeowners comfort level, but it does provide an easier upgrade path.

Personally, I went ahead and put in a 100A circuit, but I was doing the work myself and the cost difference was pretty negligible, but I could see a case where it could be $500-$600 difference in cost between the two options, which could change the decision.

One more question,I always think the model x hitch rack which the Tesla sell on their shop is so cool, but the price is not cheap, over 500USD, It's so cool to have one on the back of my car when our family is on trip. SO my Telsa model x friends, so you think it's necessary to have one for that price? Is it useful? Is ther any one want to design a cheaper one? Someone who got from Tesla please offer some suggestion, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1930_1024x1024.jpg
    IMG_1930_1024x1024.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1949_1024x1024.jpg
    IMG_1949_1024x1024.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1959_1024x1024.jpg
    IMG_1959_1024x1024.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1938_1024x1024.jpg
    IMG_1938_1024x1024.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 72
Any one try this on the center console of your model x, please advise, though it is very very cheap...Can be a good choice for my mobile phone?

One more question,I always think the model x hitch rack which the Tesla sell on their shop is so cool, but the price is not cheap, over 500USD, It's so cool to have one on the back of my car when our family is on trip. SO my Telsa model x friends, so you think it's necessary to have one for that price? Is it useful? Is ther any one want to design a cheaper one? Someone who got from Tesla please offer some suggestion, thanks

I see no one has responded to you in about a week. This is a Model S forum, which could be the reason. Your questions about the Model X would probably have a better chance of being answered in one of the Model X forums.

Good luck!

I see no one has responded to you in about a week. This is a Model S forum, which could be the reason. Your questions about the Model X would probably have a better chance of being answered in one of the Model X forums.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for your kindest reply, now i noticed the problem, thanks so much for your suggestion, i will go to the model X forum to get the answer, nice to know you. You are the kindest tesla owners, just as those i knew before.

Reactions: Andyw2100