Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach E? What will I forgo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's also going to cost way more to charge at home. Will Ford be subsidizing everyone's home electric bills as well?
Not enough to care on a $50k to $60k car imo. If I’m prioritizing monthly cash flow over drive quality, neither are making the cut.

There isn’t currently an EV I’d consider taking on road trips. Super Charging is just a slightly better band aid. Perhaps eventually the X, R1S, or Lucid SUV will beat the ride quality and ease of cars like the X5 PHEV, but until then EVs are just superior daily drivers imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shap
@Shap, do you work on Ford's autonomous driving program in Austin or know someone who does?

Nope, but I am familiar with Israeli Mobileye (now Intel). Plus I only rely on information that was provided by Ford and from my experience with testing similar ford systems by myself. I was using Tesla Autopilot for a while and pretty familiar with it. I think it is better than other systems in the city and has small to no advantage over Mobileye on highway's (unless you buy FSD).

For some reason, people tend to attach superiority to Tesla autopilot, while forgetting that almost any manufacture provides ADAS 2+ now. That is ACC + auto-steering. FSD is a different animal, and Tesla is the only manufacturer that provides L5 capable MCU. Said that we will not see L5 on current Teslas in any near/far future. L3 - maybe.

I can vouch for the audible warning as it saved me from getting rear-ended by some fool weaving in and out of traffic. It's warned me on couple other occasions so it does work.

Yes, it will chime when you actually going to crash. I prefer to get a normal blind point detection/notification system. As any other vehicle does and it proved to be very efficient.

Not enough to care on a $50k to $60k car imo. If I’m prioritizing monthly cash flow over drive quality, neither are making the cut.

There isn’t currently an EV I’d consider taking on road trips. Super Charging is just a slightly better band aid. Perhaps eventually the X, R1S, or Lucid SUV will beat the ride quality and ease of cars like the X5 PHEV, but until then EVs are just superior daily drivers imo.

Lucid is my bet for the future EV. I want a luxury EV car - leather, ventilated seats, etc. I do not like the current Tesla seats, (MME a bit better, at least you can adjust headrest).

Reactions: E Dizzle

New X5 (or X7) is amazing for long trips :) No EV is coming even close.

Yes, it will chime when you actually going to crash. I prefer to get a normal blind point detection/notification system. As any other vehicle does and it proved to be very efficient.

I just use my mirrors and glance when I need to. I find that to be the most effective way to deal with blind spots. In those situations where I missed something, the audible chime is more than adequate.

New X5 (or X7) is amazing for long trips :) No EV is coming even close.

That's very subjective. I'd rather give up some time charging my Model 3 on a long trip than having to use an ICE or hybrid.

Last edited:
I just use my mirrors and glance when I need to. I find that to be the most effective way to deal with blind spots. In those situations where I missed something, the audible chime is more than adequate.

That's very subjective. I'd rather give up some time charging my Model 3 on a long trip than having to use an ICE or hybrid.

This is ok. Everyone may have their own preferences, and it is perfectly fine. I do not want to think about charging stops on my long trip, neither I want to swear without ventilated seats in Texas. I do not care about paying for gas. I am using EV for fun, I like the way it drives.
Not to save money on gas/maintenance.

I do see value in the blind spot, and there are multiple studies that show the effectiveness of small led in the mirror. Can you live w/o it? Sure you can. The question is why would you?

Nevertheless, we talked here about MME and Tesla (and we can pull ID.4, Ariya, others). 2021 will be a great year that will finally start a competition for Tesla. Despite what many may think, Tesla will lose some of the sales to new players. And then you will see the beauty of capitalism - because Tesla will need to adjust and improve the quality, create additional added value, and continue to be innovative. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
It all depends on what is important for you. Blindspot indicator? 2 Displays? Better seats?

Everyone has it's own preference.

Your comparison is very biased and not true.
View attachment 580867
I agree everyone has their own preference, and its good to go through point by point, but that numerical comparison suffers from extreme ratings compression. You end up with only a 0.57 or less than 2% point difference between the two. For example, the listing for Sentry mode, you have 1.38 vs 1.25 or a 0.13 point difference, really? that's how you are going to choose? with such marginal differences.

You list a 2.25 vs 1.65 point difference for charging infrastructure (Best for MY, Bad for MachE), again about a 2% overall impact. I think for most people, the quality of the available charging infrastructure is worth a WHOLE LOT more weight than 2% of the final decision...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I agree everyone has their own preference, and its good to go through point by point, but that numerical comparison suffers from extreme ratings compression. You end up with only a 0.57 or less than 2% point difference between the two. For example, the listing for Sentry mode, you have 1.38 vs 1.25 or a 0.13 point difference, really? that's how you are going to choose? with such marginal differences.

You list a 2.25 vs 1.65 point difference for charging infrastructure (Best for MY, Bad for MachE), again about a 2% overall impact. I think for most people, the quality of the available charging infrastructure is worth a WHOLE LOT more weight than 2% of the final decision...

100% agree with you - I did this for myself, based on my preferences. By no means it represent any objective comparison. I published the original spreadsheet, so everyone can adjust the points based on his/her preferences. However, in my personal case, you can see that there 2 cars come pretty close.

Like I wrote before, I am not going to do a long-distance trip with any of the current EV's as they do not have ventilated seats, not large enough and my current ICE car is a way better than any Tesla or MME. I use EV for city commute mostly, so charging for me is less important. I know many people use EV for their road trips, and right now the ONLY car to do a long road trip is Tesla. This is a sad fact.

My current best combination: X7 for long trips + EV for city rides.

• Disagree
I have been hearing this since I got my MS75 in 2017, wait till 2018, wait till 2019, wait till 2020, now it's wait till 2021, I do believe Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Tesla and others in that class, , they will look at what they have done right, and what they have done wrong, and make great EV cars, in large numbers, then the real mad guy is on his way out, ICE cars, then we all win!!! but not till 2023. Not really sure about Ford or GM.

I have been hearing this since I got my MS75 in 2017, wait till 2018, wait till 2019, wait till 2020, now it's wait till 2021, I do believe Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Tesla and others in that class, , they will look at what they have done right, and what they have done wrong, and make great EV cars, in large numbers, then the real mad guy is on his way out, ICE cars, then we all win!!! but not till 2023. Not really sure about Ford or GM.
You weren’t waiting long- the 2019 Audi E-Tron was a better overall EV than your S 75.

I doubt all legacy manufacturers will make it, but given how quickly VAG has narrowed the gap, I anticipate they’ll have a large share of the future EV market. The Polestar (Volvo?) budding relationship with Google could lead to another Tech savvy manufacturer.

Once the fixed costs of ICE come off the books, they’ll have a lot more incentive to push EVs.

This is ok. Everyone may have their own preferences, and it is perfectly fine. I do not want to think about charging stops on my long trip, neither I want to swear without ventilated seats in Texas. I do not care about paying for gas. I am using EV for fun, I like the way it drives.
Not to save money on gas/maintenance.

Do you own an EV already?

Can you live w/o it? Sure you can. The question is why would you?
Because I trust my eyes more than a light. And I've driven without it for the last 27 years. Still, I'm not doubting its effectiveness for many drivers.

Nevertheless, we talked here about MME and Tesla (and we can pull ID.4, Ariya, others). 2021 will be a great year that will finally start a competition for Tesla. Despite what many may think, Tesla will lose some of the sales to new players. And then you will see the beauty of capitalism - because Tesla will need to adjust and improve the quality, create additional added value, and continue to be innovative. :)

We need, and there will be competition, but the market is still very young and there's a lot of space for everyone. Ford will have their fans as will the others. Tesla is different though. I see them as the Apple of the EV world. Their brand has already been established and they'll always have a hardcore base to keep them afloat. The fact of the matter is: they make excellent vehicles. Not perfect, but very desirable, competitive, and enjoyable.

Ford has a potential winner, but the company is rotting on the inside. We'll see what the future brings.

Do you own an EV already?

Because I trust my eyes more than a light. And I've driven without it for the last 27 years. Still, I'm not doubting its effectiveness for many drivers.

We need, and there will be competition, but the market is still very young and there's a lot of space for everyone. Ford will have their fans as will the others. Tesla is different though. I see them as the Apple of the EV world. Their brand has already been established and they'll always have a hardcore base to keep them afloat. The fact of the matter is: they make excellent vehicles. Not perfect, but very desirable, competitive, and enjoyable.

Ford has a potential winner, but the company is rotting on the inside. We'll see what the future brings.

I would not comment in this forum if I did not own MY and Volt :)

We indeed will see what future will bring and if not the Ford somebody else will make a good EV. Tesla needs to improve their QC (a bit better now), service (really did not like the SC in Austin), and their customer support in general (probably the worst I experienced).

• Disagree