Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My realtor owns the Mustang Mach E in the higher performance version. He likes it quite a bit, but it is only really suitable for in-town driving. He said realistic range is around 200 miles. As a realtor who drives a lot, it is fine for him. He says what he saves in gas makes the car payment. He takes his gas car on trips. It is an interesting solution. Right now I have an order in for an S LR, but am wondering if I would be as happy with a 3 and keep my Porsche Cayenne Turbo for trips....

My realtor owns the Mustang Mach E in the higher performance version. He likes it quite a bit, but it is only really suitable for in-town driving. He said realistic range is around 200 miles. As a realtor who drives a lot, it is fine for him. He says what he saves in gas makes the car payment. He takes his gas car on trips. It is an interesting solution. Right now I have an order in for an S LR, but am wondering if I would be as happy with a 3 and keep my Porsche Cayenne Turbo for trips....
Having a Tesla as your only means of transport can be problematic. So prepare yourself for that.

Aside from that, My MSLR gets pretty close to advertised range. Probably 350-375 miles per charge. And because of the size of the battery, you can add more range in less time when supercharging on the road.

I’ve owned a 2015 MS and a 2020 MY and neither of those were what I would consider “road trip vehicles”. The Refreshed MS is pretty close. Not as convenient as a gas-powered vehicle but close enough.

Personally, I would go with the M3 + Cayenne. I paid $80K for my Refresh MS and I think it’s *maybe* worth it. For $110K or whatever they are charging now…absolutely forget it.

Real world range:

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E CA Route 1: 334 miles

2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range: 317 miles

Real world range:

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E CA Route 1: 334 miles

2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range: 317 miles
Go for the Mexican built Mach-E --- the American thing to do.

Yeah, I think I'd sit down with ABPR (A Better Route Planner) and maybe Plugshare, and do a little analysis, and factor in how you typical "road trip". If you want to drive 1000+ miles at a time, and you want to make Formula One style stops just for gas, then maybe the ICE will be a better option.

However, as I've posted in other threads of this sort, we stop a decent number of times anyway, or have a stop or two where we're at least going to spend 20 minutes, whether we were driving an ICE or an EV. And we don't do more than maybe 400-500 miles in one day (so an overnight would be planned for a 100% SOC departure).

That is a good point, Masked. Rarely do we drive more than 500 miles, and there definitely would be a few stops, so maybe it is not that big of a deal, at least for a Tesla with good range. A drive we do a fair amount is to the beach and back, about 100 miles each way plus maybe 20 miles while there. There are some charging opportunities at the beach, but they can be clunky. So it would be nice to get there and back on one charge.

I have taken my 2017 MS 90 D on several road trips. I think it works great. Car is usually ready before I am. But I do have to think about charging when way away from supercharging access. And for those that prefer cannonball run style trips, probably stick with gas for now.

IMO, until the other charger networks catch-up, the best road trip EVs will be Teslas. With that said, there are people going on road trips with EVs of every type. It all depends on good planning and how much extra time you're willing to allow.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Mach-E has other issues far more concerning that Ford needs to address. People are going on road trips with them, but it's risky.

As for an S LR vs a 3 vs Cayenne Turbo. There are a lot of unanswered questions there as mentioned already. Are you also looking for convenience, space, performance, luxury, etc? Why not also consider a Model Y?

Having a Tesla as your only means of transport can be problematic. So prepare yourself for that....
...For $110K or whatever they are charging now…absolutely forget it.

Welllll, I have two Teslas. I drive the S on trips and my daily use, and the 3 is for wifey so she can get to daughter's house when she needs to babysit. I have NEVER found it "problematic" to own two Teslas, as I have for nearly a decade. In fact, NOT having to take my car in for tune-ups or oil changes, NOT having to head off to the gas station a couple times a week for a fill up, is the opposite of problematic. I can hop in my car, which is full every morning, and head off to Phoenix, an 800 mile trip, and never worry about getting there at the desired time, never worry about stopping for gas, and fill my car up for the next day's travel at a motel near a supercharger, or just pull into a supercharger along the way for a fill-up in a few minutes while I eat lunch or hit the bathroom.

Really problematic!

And as to the $110K price, well, you get what you pay for. And some can't afford to pay for what they'd like. That is also problematic. Driving a gas car can also be problematic, with distributor caps cracking, spark plugs fouling, pistons and rings seizing, well there's lot's to be worried about with a gas car... and you can also spend over $100K on one of them.

And we haven't even figured out how long a Tesla will last. The battery is warrantied for 8 years, and some say it will last twice as long. Not many gas cars are on the road much longer than that.