Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MVPA States "New - Service / Demo Vehicle" - should I be concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently ordered a performance 3 and they reached out to let me know they had a stealth p3d that matched and was ready faster so i went for it

The sales person claimed it was produced 09/15 and the vin is a 530xxx so i don't know how recent that is but it sounds pretty recent for the vins

He claims it also only has 2 miles and the MVPA does show the standard 50 listed on the paperwork. There's no way it could've been a demo car for only 3 days and 2 miles right?

Recently ordered a performance 3 and they reached out to let me know they had a stealth p3d that matched and was ready faster so i went for it

The sales person claimed it was produced 09/15 and the vin is a 530xxx so i don't know how recent that is but it sounds pretty recent for the vins

He claims it also only has 2 miles and the MVPA does show the standard 50 listed on the paperwork. There's no way it could've been a demo car for only 3 days and 2 miles right?
Unless it’s a typo, no way the car can be from 9/2015. And only 2 miles? Possible someone refused it but something doesn’t smell right here.

It could be that they had ordered it for their own demo fleet, and decided it to sell it to you instead.
Nothing outwardly wrong with "dealer demos", except that:
1). Warranty usually starts from the date of dealer registration, not you taking possession of the car (not a big delta, in this case)
2). Technically, it is treated as a "used car" for registration and rebate purposes.

If I were you, I would 10x check what that implies for eligibility for Federal and Cali state EV rebates.

HTH,
a

Could be LHD display car shipped back to the US
NZ had LHD model 3 car on display in the Tesla store for ages . Its was replaced with RHD
last month

NZ is RHD, country, the LHD M3 never left the store.

Could be stock coming back from other RHD countries that have had their LHD dsplay M3 cars replaced with RHD

Per CA code, a “new vehicle” is a vehicle constructed entirely from new parts that has never been the subject of a retail sale. Demo cars are still considered new. It's a showroom/inventory car so considered a demo car but they obviously sold it to you before any test drives were done.

It could be that they had ordered it for their own demo fleet, and decided it to sell it to you instead.
Nothing outwardly wrong with "dealer demos", except that:
1). Warranty usually starts from the date of dealer registration, not you taking possession of the car (not a big delta, in this case)
2). Technically, it is treated as a "used car" for registration and rebate purposes.

If I were you, I would 10x check what that implies for eligibility for Federal and Cali state EV rebates.

HTH,
a
Wrong on both counts.
1). Warranty for inventory vehicles starts the day the car is transfered to your name.
2). A car is new unless it has been registered, a demo car does not get registered until sold. You can get an inventory car with 5k miles and it will still be "new" and you will still get your tax credits.