Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX 7 seater squeaky second row

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My June 2018 Model X 7 seater has a really squeaky second row whenever I go over bumps. I've tried setting it in different places and sometimes it gets better and sometimes it gets worse. The farthest back and closest to the front settings seems to be the worse. It gets better if someone sits in the second row. Any ideas?

On my 12/21 delivered 7-seater, I had the squeaks right out of the delivery center.

I dropped off the X at the service center on 1/4, and they said it was a common and well known problem with the bench seats squeaking because the seat back moves/flexes even when unoccupied, causing the squeaks. The service tech sat in the second row while I was driving, and started to move in the seat to force the seat back to move back, immediately revealing the squeaks.

I guess they'll lube up the joints to silence the squeaks for now, but they may start squeaking again over time. The X would be in the shop for 5-days for this fix, among other minor issues as delivered.

We have this in our 7 seater X, and will have it on the list when it comes up for the first annual service appointment (unless we have to take it in sooner for something else).

We've found that moving the passenger side, middle row, seat forward a notch or two seems to reduce the squeaking - and it seems to go away if we have the middle row all of the way forward (which we often do to maximum cargo capacity in the back with the back row folded down.

Surely Tesla will come up with a permanent solution for this.

@bob_p It shouldn't squeak irrespective of the position of the seat. Make them test it thoroughly in multiple positions. I just got my X back, and they seem to have fixed the squeaks for now by "shimming the seat tracks", as they decided the fix. I'll observe and report over the next few days if the squeaks are truly gone.

IMG_4242.jpg

We had a very similar problem. It's on the second row passenger the single sliding seat. The ranger was able to replicate the noise by pushing the seat. He said it's a pin rubbing against a metal plate where the seat mounted on the floor. He removed all trims from the trunk then eventually the floor and loosen all bolts and move the seat a little then tighten all the bolts back and it did the trick.

Of course there are other rattlings and noises else where need to be fixed. Anyone has a rattle and squeak free X?

Attachments

• 2019-02-06 14.24.58.jpg
    2019-02-06 14.24.58.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 255
My June 2018 Model X 7 seater has a really squeaky second row whenever I go over bumps. I've tried setting it in different places and sometimes it gets better and sometimes it gets worse. The farthest back and closest to the front settings seems to be the worse. It gets better if someone sits in the second row. Any ideas?
We had same problem and found that the black part that slides the seat located underneath was not screwed properly.

Our March 2019 7-Seat build has squeaks and creaks in the second row. They’ve already been out twice, first they wouldn’t do anything as they couldn’t replicate it and the test drive was quiet. After we videoed the squeaks and sent them in, they took up the floor and installed some felt. The high-pitched squeaks went away for awhile, but have since returned a week later. Each mobile tech seems to have a different idea of how to fix it.

Hopefully 3rd time is the charm. I’ll suggest the track shim.

I have exactly same issue, (JUN-2018 delivery) (I should have checked online before taking it to Service center) There is a press mark on the Right side(Passenger side) of bench seat, Told Service center about the issue, even kept the seat folded from further damage, Unfortunately Service advisor says,(Sunnyvale, CA) No Solution, ..can NOT redesign the seat..From above answers, Don't Expect Tesla to invetsigate and Invest in this issue. (I reported about the Yellow mark around tocuh control panel, Still no fix since 1 year) , Had ot live with these kind of Build quality issues!!!

had this problem at delivery on my 2018. squeaked like hell. to tesla's credit they did fix it at my first service visit and that particular squeak has not returned. as for the rest of the rattles in the car though...*sigh*