Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX keeps waking up throughout the night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckwong

Mar 15, 2017
NJ
Do anybody know why it keeps doing this? The headlights will turn on for a min or so 8-10 times throughout the night. I have 2-ch blackvue dash-cam setup so I'm getting notifications that motion is detected. Thanks in advance!

Some people do call their car their baby, babies do that...

Seriously, if there is a phone app that connects to the car and is running in the background on the phone, it could be polling the car every half hour or so. I tried a web based app that collected data on the car, but the car didn't sleep long because the app kept waking up the car to see if anything happened. Initially I thought something was wrong with the car, but I finally figured that out, disabled my account and the car slept normally.

Also make sure not to leave a key in the car, the car won't lock even though the mirrors fold. The car also does weird things when the other key is in the car. In my Model S my SO left the spare key in the car for a week and the door handles wouldn't auto present when the second key was there. I don't know what the X would do in that situation.

Some people do call their car their baby, babies do that...

Seriously, if there is a phone app that connects to the car and is running in the background on the phone, it could be polling the car every half hour or so. I tried a web based app that collected data on the car, but the car didn't sleep long because the app kept waking up the car to see if anything happened. Initially I thought something was wrong with the car, but I finally figured that out, disabled my account and the car slept normally.

Also make sure not to leave a key in the car, the car won't lock even though the mirrors fold. The car also does weird things when the other key is in the car. In my Model S my SO left the spare key in the car for a week and the door handles wouldn't auto present when the second key was there. I don't know what the X would do in that situation.

The only app I have is the Tesla app but I don't think it checks on the car but I'm not sure. I don't have any spare keys in the car but I have a built in garage and my living room is directly above it and both the keys are kept on a side table there so maybe I have to move it to the back of the house...Thanks though!

Ever notice how when you approach your Tesla from across the parking lot it turns on the marker lights from (sometimes) a fairly good distance? As you get closer it actually unlocks the doors and unfolds the mirrors.

Your car is sensing the fob approach as you walk around in the house. It turns on the marker lights. Then if you don't actually arrive at the car, or walk farther away, it turns off the marker lights (with maybe a minute delay). I don't think it actually unlocks the car unless you get much closer.

I'll admit to checking the app often enough, and checking for the folded mirrors when I can.

However, I'm pretty sure it does not unlock until you get to within about 3 feet. At larger distances it is just turning on the marker lights but staying locked.

Ever notice how when you approach your Tesla from across the parking lot it turns on the marker lights from (sometimes) a fairly good distance? As you get closer it actually unlocks the doors and unfolds the mirrors.

Your car is sensing the fob approach as you walk around in the house. It turns on the marker lights. Then if you don't actually arrive at the car, or walk farther away, it turns off the marker lights (with maybe a minute delay). I don't think it actually unlocks the car unless you get much closer.

I think I have to get within 10 feet or so for the marker lights to turn on.

But the fob is sitting on the side table and it's waking up in the middle of the night while everyone is sleeping so no one is walking around at least I hope i'm not sleeping walking...lol