Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy a Model X without parking sensors and not HW4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, my hubby and I are considering purchasing a Model X. We ordered a Model Y Performance a month ago but EDD keeps getting delayed all the way to April - May now, so we went to the dealer and tried out a Model X. The SA has a MX that's available in inventory to purchase right now but she said that one doesn't have the parking sensors but also doesn't have the new HW4 (built on February 1, 2023). The ones in inventory that still has the parking sensors seem to be the demo ones. Do you think I should get it if it's not HW4 and no parking sensors? Anything else I should know about the MX before purchasing it, or do you recommend me to continue waiting for the MYP? Thank you in advance!

I'd 100% wait for the MYP as April-May is not far away and then you are more 'future-proof'.
As well you didn't give any rational for not waiting. Just impatience?
Thank you for your input! Would you be able to expand a bit more regarding the MYP being more future-proof? I'd love to hear your feedback because there aren't too many info on the Model X. Regarding the MYP wait, we ordered on 2/14 with the February - March EDD, a few more EDDs in between, but it was still before March. After it got pushed to April - May, there may not be the $7,500 tax credit anymore, so that's why we starting toying with the idea to get the X. We have also cleared our calendars (work and traveling plans) in anticipation for the car but nothing yet (no VIN).

Thank you for your input! Would you be able to expand a bit more regarding the MYP being more future-proof? I'd love to hear your feedback because there aren't too many info on the Model X. Regarding the MYP wait, we ordered on 2/14 with the February - March EDD, a few more EDDs in between, but it was still before March. After it got pushed to April - May, there may not be the $7,500 tax credit anymore, so that's why we starting toying with the idea to get the X. We have also cleared our calendars (work and traveling plans) in anticipation for the car but nothing yet (no VIN).
You are certainly new to Tesla if you consider ordering on the 2/14 and waiting just a couple/few months as a long time. Way different than ordering or buying off the lot of a regular dealership. There may/must be a reason that Model X is not sold already, right? It is between old/legacy and new/current cars. Unless it came with an incredible deal and you have no interest in the safest AP/FSD experience or usage then it may be an option. If I were within a month or two of getting HW4 there is zero doubt that I would wait.

HW4 should have newer cameras with higher MP as well as new computer hardware used for basic AP and, of course, FSD. HighDef Radar would possibly be retrofited or come with it by Apr/May. It is unclear if you are getting FSD now or would potentially get it in the future (rent for trips or purchase).

Tesla’s new self-driving computer (HW4): more cameras, radar, and more

More geeky stuff on HW4 (you both can watch YT at X speed using gear icon)

• Love
Reactions: maytaurustiger
I am more than happy with my Model X (12/22 build date). It has the parking sensors, and as far as I am concerned HW4 won't materialize any gains for the foreseeable future.

Tesla vision will not be as good as USS, so you have to decide the trade off. Tesla vision hasn't been released and it's been ~6 months since cars have shipped without USS.

Thank you for your input! Would you be able to expand a bit more regarding the MYP being more future-proof?...
Use the future to get back to the proven past:

Future Tesla will have HW4, including radar as it did in the past.

...Tesla vision will not be as good as USS, so you have to decide the trade off. Tesla vision hasn't been released and it's been ~6 months since cars have shipped without USS.

Unfortunately, HW4 does not have sonars for parking. But notice that most likely, parking collisions will be about the loss of money but not about the loss of lives.

As a consolation, HW4 does come with radar. Although radar is very bad at stationary obstacles, it's very good at moving obstacles like moving motorcycles in front of the Tesla on dark highways. Without a radar, by the time vision detects a motorcycle in the dark night, it might be too late and might result in the loss of lives.

• Love
I’d buy it. You didn’t mention if you’re buying FSD, I don’t personally think it will move beyond beta in the next several years, I am not familiar with HW4 but HW3 seems to work at level 2.
If you think FSD will eventually be what they’ve been saying it will for years, HW4 might be a consideration.
I don’t believe the claims and wouldn’t pass on a HW3 car that I otherwise liked.
If you scroll back in the forum, a lot of members delivery dates got pushed back and back and back…that could happen again, or you could have an MX right now.

• Love
You are certainly new to Tesla if you consider ordering on the 2/14 and waiting just a couple/few months as a long time. Way different than ordering or buying off the lot of a regular dealership. There may/must be a reason that Model X is not sold already, right? It is between old/legacy and new/current cars. Unless it came with an incredible deal and you have no interest in the safest AP/FSD experience or usage then it may be an option. If I were within a month or two of getting HW4 there is zero doubt that I would wait.

HW4 should have newer cameras with higher MP as well as new computer hardware used for basic AP and, of course, FSD. HighDef Radar would possibly be retrofited or come with it by Apr/May. It is unclear if you are getting FSD now or would potentially get it in the future (rent for trips or purchase).
Thank you for all the info that you provided me. I appreciate your time! Yes, I'm definitely new to Tesla haha. For the one they have in inventory, I kept asking the SA to find out more specs on it because it doesn't have sensors (I was thinking to get a demo version with the sensors) and asked her to confirm the hardware specs and now after she said she called around, she told me it is Hardware 4 (aka AP4). I kept asking over and over again for her to be sure if it does have the new HW and she said yes. Would you happen to know based on VIN: PF38**** if it will have the new HW? If let's say I found out she provided me the wrong info for me to order it, I guess I can reject delivery, right?

I am more than happy with my Model X (12/22 build date). It has the parking sensors, and as far as I am concerned HW4 won't materialize any gains for the foreseeable future.

Tesla vision will not be as good as USS, so you have to decide the trade off. Tesla vision hasn't been released and it's been ~6 months since cars have shipped without USS.
Thank you for your input! Yes, I rather have the USS version if I won't be getting the new hardware and with no USS.

As a consolation, HW4 does come with radar. Although radar is very bad at stationary obstacles, it's very good at moving obstacles like moving motorcycles in front of the Tesla on dark highways. Without a radar, by the time vision detects a motorcycle in the dark night, it might be too late and might result in the loss of lives.
Thank you for your insight as well!

Reactions: scottf200
I’d buy it. You didn’t mention if you’re buying FSD, I don’t personally think it will move beyond beta in the next several years, I am not familiar with HW4 but HW3 seems to work at level 2.
If you think FSD will eventually be what they’ve been saying it will for years, HW4 might be a consideration.
I don’t believe the claims and wouldn’t pass on a HW3 car that I otherwise liked.
If you scroll back in the forum, a lot of members delivery dates got pushed back and back and back…that could happen again, or you could have an MX right now.
Thank you for your feedback. Correct, I'm not really interested in FSD at the moment. I like X's adjustable display, wings, doors, slightly larger than Y, rear seat display, and I believe it has both heating and cooling seats. I'm sure there are more featuers that I missed.

Thanks to everyone again! I have just placed the order for the MX because according to the SA, supposedly it has the newer hardware 4 (AP4) (no USS). I will leave my MYP order open for now in case the MX order doesn't work out or something. I will provide updates in case it helps anyone else out there.

Reactions: bmah
Just sharing an update before picking up the car later this week. After reading the forum here (thanks to everyone), I did the Live Chat thing on Tesla's website to confirm a few things. I provided my VIN to him to triple check if I have the AP4 aka HW4 and he replied, "Autopilot Hardware 4.0 (AP04). Looks like you got it." I also asked another Live Chat rep to confirm the vehicle birthdate (02/01/2023) and it has Phoenix radar. I'm happy now haha. I was triple checking because I do not want to get one that doesn't have parking sensors and no HW4.

Thanks to the members in this forum for providing info that even some later January build ones do have HW4. As someone else mentioned, it's best to check the Tesla-Info website and look for the cars that says HW4. For the demo cars in inventory around my area (SoCal), most of them have HW3 and have the parking sensors. I'll provide another update once I take delivery of the car.

Reactions: Nickos