Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Plaid - Loss of (Horse)Power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MX Plaid on 6/17 and have been loving it, the acceleration has been addictive. About a week ago I noticed that while still fast, there has been a noticable decline in acceleration. Other people have noticed it too so it's not just me going crazy. This has persisted for over a dozen drives in different temperatures.

Did Tesla throttle my car?

Just a couple of things in case you don't know:
- Battery temperature affects performance. The battery should be at a good 30C or more (86F+) otherwise power might be reduced. I don't have the precise temperature but it's important. I think Plaid mode will heat the battery if necessary but that might take a little while.
- Battery SOC also affects performance. As your battery depletes, it cannot provide the same power. I've seen dynos at various SOCs on a model 3 performance and it was significant but I don't know how that translates to the X. Still, keep it over 80% at least if you want the full power.

So I got my MXP in July of 22 and I’ve noticed a significant change in Low-end torque from the day I bought it to today. The feeling I once described as “trying to control a pissed off bull” when accelerating, also came with the car slightly lifting the front end and wheels chattering was so powerful it left me wondering how I could ever drive a car with that much horsepower daily.

Since then, I acknowledge that the tires, brakes and suspension have “worn in” and reward me with a much more comfortable ride, however the low-end torque i once experienced has changed. So much that it’s been a recurring topic of discussion with some close friends of mine, when they ask me about the plaid.

I prelude my conversations with a common “I must be getting used to the power because it doesn’t feel as fast as it used to”, almost every time now.

So when I finally decided to google search this topic, this tread came up and I had to post my thoughts.

I have not mentioned this to Tesla yet, nor do I even know how to test or prove the power has declined, however I think I may be experiencing something that others are as well.

I know it’s been some time since you posted this, have you or has anyone else been experiencing this as well?

For the last two decades or so (pretty much since I was a teen) I’ve owned several relatively powerful cars and that has taught me an important lesson: thrill rides and experiences don’t last forever.

My first real car as a teen was a high mileage but stock 1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 coupe (Fox body) with a 5 speed. The first time test driving that car at the used car lot was a life changing thrill ride. Its acceleration was nothing else I’ve ever experience. Looking back now that was about 0-60 in 7 seconds: pretty slow. Then I added nitrous, heads, intake, and a big cam and after a few months it felt kind of slow and like it was losing power. It wasn’t losing power as I even had it dynoed but rather the power had grown on me.

Next car was a low mileage and stock 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra (Terminator). Again, it blew me away with the first test drive. After a few months of ownership, again it seemed like the car wasn’t as fast or thrilling. I added a big Kenne Bell supercharger and dialed up the boost. It was an orgasm on wheels initially but then after some time it just didn’t feel that fast and again I had it dynoed and it turned out the power just grew on me again.

Next car M3P. Test drove at Tesla sales center and it was unreal acceleration first time. I still own it but I got to admit it feels pretty tame and slow, especially compared to what I have now: a Model S Plaid.

Based on past experience where the power just grows on you and the experience is no longer that thrilling, I resisted going full throttle with the Plaid until 6 months into owning it. Even then, in my 7 months of ownership I’ve only done it 3 times because I feel driving it balls out every day like if I was in my 20s will get old and on the rare occasion that I do drive it like that I want to make sure the acceleration is still a thrill ride.

Moral of the story is that 90% of your perceived power loss might be the power and performance just growing on you since you have gotten used to it. It’s a first world problem to have but not much of a fix unless you want to buy a top fuel dragster. On the off chance that there really is something wrong with the car it will be tough to pinpoint by the service center so be prepared to be disappointed.