Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX75D - ABQ to Gallup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HELP!!! I am driving from Chicago to Phoenix in a few weeks and planning my route - driving through the mountains seems to be not a great idea this time of year but concerned about the leg between ABQ and Gallup with my 75D. I drove it this summer int he opposite direction and made it but not with a lot of battery to spare. If I go on the SC website it says no problem to make it from ABQ to Gallup but if I put ABQ to Scottsdale it sends me up to Denver and all the way back down. HELP!!! Anyone with experience in the winter driving this route in a 75D or less??

Chelsey,

I live in abq. For what it’s worth I made the Gallup to abq drive 3 weeks ago after purchasing my 2016 p90 in Phoenix. My p90 has the 22 inch wheels, and the 100% charge range is 233 (so it may be close to your 75 range). I charged to 100% in Gallup then remember driving 70-75mph, was easy on acceleration, used cruise control. I arrived in abq with around 10% charge remaining...this was prior to understanding any principles of battery conservation or what regen braking really even was. I think the distance between the two is about 160 miles, and the elevation similar. I would guess the energy requirements should be similar? I lost a lot more energy rapidly from Phoenix up through flagstaff bc of the elevation..but more superchargers in Arizona obviously also.

Reactions: Dre78
Thanks for the feedback - I made the drive from Gallup to ABQ jut fine this summer as well and had a similar experience going up to flag which is why I am concerned about going from ABQ to Gallup with the cold and elevation change. Seems they should put another charger in between on this stretch to make it a bit more comfortable of a stretch. Looked into going through Truth or Consequences as well but looks like there are a couple stretches on that route that may be range anxiety driving. Seems the best plan is to plan and stop at an RV park just in case and keep an eye on the speed and potential weather.

Abq to Gallup SC is 145 miles or so I think. Conversely Abq to Farmington NM (which is the only pathway to take to get to ski resorts like telluride, Durango, or into Utah is 186 (!!) miles. This is the reality of our NM SC situation sadly. I’m already have range anxiety just imagining trying to take that route in a month or so when ski season gets into fuller swing. .

HELP!!! I am driving from Chicago to Phoenix in a few weeks and planning my route - driving through the mountains seems to be not a great idea this time of year but concerned about the leg between ABQ and Gallup with my 75D. I drove it this summer int he opposite direction and made it but not with a lot of battery to spare. If I go on the SC website it says no problem to make it from ABQ to Gallup but if I put ABQ to Scottsdale it sends me up to Denver and all the way back down. HELP!!! Anyone with experience in the winter driving this route in a 75D or less??

Did Gallup to ABQ and vice/versa twice soon after getting our 60s (before upgrading to 75s). No big concern either way, although we did get the annoying 'limit your speed' message on the westbound trip. Just slowed to 60-65 and got there fine. Didn't even think about it with the 75s on two trips to Atlanta. I know the MX is less efficient, but always wondered about how much. Our 75s gets about 300w/mile over 30k miles.

Last year we did ABQ to Gallup starting with 248 RM and ending at 46 RM in our X 100D. Temperature was around 43F at the endpoints, though it was colder and snowed on us a little along the way. The road was clear and dry. 20" wheels. We had normal climate on 70F and didn't even realize it was that cold out until we saw the snow flakes. Lightly loaded for us in that direction.

In comparison, we did Gallup to ABQ starting at 201 RM and ending at 41 RM. 60F-70F with a heavier load.

ETA: Normally 5 to 7 MPH above the posted limit.