Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 1st accident in 10 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lloyds

Apr 3, 2013
Bay Area
Well it happened. 2 way stop intersection. I made the 1st stop and inched out. I then stopped because I saw her moving. Next thing I know, the lady in the SUV continued turning directly into me, even though I was honking at her.

She said she was preoccupied with her daughter in the backseat (she is ok) so she didnt hear or see me. Urg....just 2 months old car.

She has admitted fault and here are the damages on both cars.

I then took my car to Premier in Fremont and upon their inspection, they said there is no paint damage. The film took 100% of the damage!! If anyone is thinking about getting a clear bra done I would now highly recommend getting Clearguard Nano over other brands. This accident made me a believer this film is above the rest. If it werent for having this on the car, I am certain it would now be in the bodyshop.

mmexport1545368170053.jpg
mmexport1545368171874.jpg
mmexport1545368174321.jpg
mmexport1545368177998.jpg

If it werent for having this on the car, I am certain it would now be in the bodyshop.

Sorry to hear of the accident and I'm glad no one was hurt. But doesn't it have to go into the bodyshop to have the film removed/replaced? I'm also not certain there's no damage otherwise and I don't think you'd really know until the film comes off. I know it's sold as "self healing" but that seems a bit much. Seems like it's destined to see a body shop one way or another.

I was sideswiped -- no film on my car -- but the Tesla preferred body shop repaired it like new. I'm not big on plastic wraps (because they dull the paint) but your accident will really impress me if it's just a replacement of the wrap. If it self-heals, I will bow before the product!

The Clearguard needs to be replaced for sure. The guys at Premier already pulled some off the really bad area so I can look underneath. There was not a scratch. I'm on their schedule now to get it replaced and will post pics then.

As to the dullness of wrap, you cannot tell if its done right and with the right product. I am certain that Clearguard is different from the Xpels. It has no orange peel texture (i am very picky about this) and very smooth finish.

• Informative
Reactions: suwaneedad
The Clearguard needs to be replaced for sure. The guys at Premier already pulled some off the really bad area so I can look underneath. There was not a scratch. I'm on their schedule now to get it replaced and will post pics then.

As to the dullness of wrap, you cannot tell if its done right and with the right product. I am certain that Clearguard is different from the Xpels. It has no orange peel texture (i am very picky about this) and very smooth finish.

The filler material under the bumper is probably damaged... based on the photos.

I’d take to a repair shop and have them remove the bumper to be sure.

I’m sold on Prestige Films ClearGuard Nano SR. I have it full frontal on Pearl White. It adds zero additional orange peel and is identical in appearance to the other panels. Visibly undetectable. More expensive but worth it to me.

For another perspective, I'm picking up my Model 3 tomorrow from our shop and had them use Xpel Ultimate Plus. It's actually thicker than the ClearGuard Nano SR which is 210 microns or 8.26771 mils. Xpel Ultimate Plus is 10.6mils. Here's the spec sheet for the Xpel Ultimate Plus: https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/downloads/XPL_UltimatePLUS-TDS_V1.0.pdf

From the Xpel's features about this film it sounds very much like the ClearGuard Nano SR, smooth mirror finish (indistinguishable from factory paint), self-healing, stain resistance. XPEL | Paint Protection Film | ULTIMATE PLUS | Self-Healing Clear Bra | High Gloss PPF

Our Model S was done in Xpel Ultimate last year. My understanding is that the Ultimate Plus offers an even higher level of protection and it will be interesting to compare the two next to each other.

Last edited:
I’m sold on Prestige Films ClearGuard Nano SR. I have it full frontal on Pearl White. It adds zero additional orange peel and is identical in appearance to the other panels. Visibly undetectable. More expensive but worth it to me.

100% agree. I had Xpel done on another car by another company. I didn't like how it looked because it took the shine away (and the job was done poorly, but that's another story for another day). Side by side with my BMW with Xpel I can tell the difference against Clearguard on my Teslas

Now I have to live with the front end like this for another week or so. Premier is booked out so far, but they are trying to get me in earlier. Afterall, I have brought my last 3 cars to them, so I'd dare say they want to take care of me.

Amazing!

I don't know about the Clearguard vs Xpel. My car's paint looks more shiny with Xpel ultimate plus, but not so much that it stands out from the rest of the car really. I do see a bit of orange peal, but the paint already has that on my 3?

Or are you comparing old Xpel vs new Clearguard nano?

Bummer I find out clearguard is better now, I'm taking in another new vehicle (Volvo XC60) to have XPEL applied tomorrow.

Just picked up our Model 3 yesterday after getting Xpel Ultimate Plus and ceramic pro work. Car and finish looks fabulous. I can't say I could see any noticable orange peel effect, although I could with the Xpel Ultimate applied about 2 years ago on our Model S. From what I understand the newer Plus film is easier to work with as well and as mentioned above also offers same features as Clearguard but with ≈2mils more protection.

Tried to grab a few photos of the car this morning (someone--maybe it was you @Glamisduner on another thread asked about PPF work over side mirrors and on bumper opening). Wanted to show how the side mirror and the lower recessed bumper area were done on our car. Also showing hood which has a mirror glass finish.

IMG_9729.JPG
IMG_9731.JPG
IMG_9730.JPG

Like @lloyds we are firm believers in the protection offered by PPF. It will save many an incident from needing repainting.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I guess the best way to judge between the two as far as finish is to look at the reflections of straight lines. I'm sure cellphone resolution also plays a part in that though. I was using an iPhone 6 Plus (untouched photos), so kind of old cellphone technology at this point.

Last edited:
I guess the best way to judge between the two as far as finish is to look at the reflections of straight lines. I'm sure cellphone resolution also plays a part in that though. I was using an iPhone 6 Plus (untouched photos), so kind of old cellphone technology at this point.

You're driving Teslas newest car and still on iPhone6?! The nerve! Haha. Merry Xmas!

You're driving Teslas newest car and still on iPhone6?! The nerve! Haha. Merry Xmas!

I know! Tell my husband! It's been a great phone and I'm not someone to run out and keep trading up each year. I am hoping Santa might drop off a new one though. Mostly would like a new one for more GB of storage and improved photos (not a cloud person). In the meantime having just got my Model 3 a few months ago I have a lot to be thankful for so only occasionally drop hints. :) Merry Xmas back to you!