Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2024 Headlights not fully Illuminated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The headlights on my 1 month old MY LR 2024 leaves a couple of blank spots on the road especially on the left side. It is especially noticeable during turnings. I took it to the local service center and they also felt it looks odd. At about 10ft distance from the wall the headlights had a black bar projected on each side. They brought out a demo 2024 MY and it too had a similar pattern as mine with the two black bars. They then brought an earlier MY (2020?) and the lighting was uniform.
I know the 2024 versions use the matrix headlights but I don't know if it should throw a continuous blank spot rather than adapt when there is an oncoming vehicle. anybody else with 2024 model experienced this?

Here is some info on the headlamp shadow issue. I have a 2023 and a 2024 Model Y. This is only an issue on the 2024 and is caused by the reflector design of the headlamp where either the dividers in the reflector portion of the lamp protrude too far forward or the lamps are recessed too far into the lamp housing. Either way, the headlamp design is flawed. I created this video to provide an example of the problem.

If you have a 2024 with this shadow issue, please set up a service appointment. Get pictures and videos of the shadows created by your vehicle to share with Tesla Service on the Tesla app. Tesla needs to hear from more owners who are experiencing this problem.

The shadows are present on my 2022 Model 3 and will be on any 3/Y with the matrix headlights.

They are not created by the reflectors. It’s created by the matrix LED array inside the projector.

You can see the bottom section of the beam that’s cooler white, that is the foreground fill from the reflectors.

The upper beam with the shadows is a slightly yellower cast and is created by the matrix projector.

I suspect it’s an alignment marker for the computer to dynamically align and adjust the headlights for adaptive high beam, but I don’t have any evidence to back that up.

That's what they told me as well when I took it in. If they hear from more vehicle owners they can look at it but for now it's the current design and cannot do much about it. Please, please do report your 2024 headlights as an issue so Tesla does something about it. It is ridiculous this design is being accepted by a vast majority of the 2024 model owners when there is an apparent flaw in the design.