Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2024 Refresh - Project Juniper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has confirmed that Highland was not a Tesla codename. Presumably that applies to Juniper also. However, not using Juniper might be confusing. MY 2025 refresh? I will carry on with Juniper until there is a decent alternative.
Or he’s just pulling our chains again. Does it matter as long as we all understand the vernacular? Juniper is already well known, that’s good enough unless Tesla gives another “code name.”

Any speculation on whether the refreshed Model Y is likely to qualify for the current tax credit?

Tesla has already shown they can work around current tax-credit limits thru their leasing program ala Highland Model 3.

For purchases, it's unclear what battery packs might go into a Juniper MY. It's traditionally been the SR packs that are coming from overseas and don't qualify, while the LR and P's get the US Panasonic cells and the associated full $7500 tax credit. I would not be surprised to see that trend continue, even if the pack chemistry is tweaked a bit. The price-conscious models are the ones most likely to go with cheaper imported packs.

Tesla has already shown they can work around current tax-credit limits thru their leasing program ala Highland Model 3.

For purchases, it's unclear what battery packs might go into a Juniper MY. It's traditionally been the SR packs that are coming from overseas and don't qualify, while the LR and P's get the US Panasonic cells and the associated full $7500 tax credit. I would not be surprised to see that trend continue, even if the pack chemistry is tweaked a bit. The price-conscious models are the ones most likely to go with cheaper imported packs.
A Juniper LR AWD with the tax credit is very tempting. But prices are so low on the current gen Model Y’s that it’s hard to know whether to wait for Juniper or grab a current MY before prices go back up. I have a 2019 M3 LR RWD now. In the past I’ve been quoted $19K trade in but this week they offered me $25K for it. It seems like perfect timing for a trade in.

Continuing the theme of the "Undercover Car" first seen at Fremont 6 months before the Model S Plaid was released, Austin Drone pilot Jeff Roberts captured these 2 still images of what looks like two alpha builds (or possibly BIWs) of the Model 2 / compact car:

These look like small CUVs. We do expect Model 2 to be around the size of a RAV4:

View attachment 1008076

And here's a detail shot of the rear pallet (anybody wanna do the length estimation?)

View attachment 1008077

People, that's a $14B car sitting right there on a wooden pallet. This is amazing, what a great day! :D

"Yup, the growth story is dead, nothing to see, move along..." /s

Cheers to the Longs!
1705021837228.png

My guess is Juniper.

Reactions: randompixel
A Juniper LR AWD with the tax credit is very tempting. But prices are so low on the current gen Model Y’s that it’s hard to know whether to wait for Juniper or grab a current MY before prices go back up. I have a 2019 M3 LR RWD now. In the past I’ve been quoted $19K trade in but this week they offered me $25K for it. It seems like perfect timing for a trade in.
A model Y with all the highland upgrades is definitely tempting to wait for but also knowing my area gives additional money if the msrp is under a certain amount also makes it tempting to get an inventory model... $34k model Y LR? That's hard to pass up.

Reactions: dloomis
I canceled a Jan ’23 order for a Mar delivery to wait for HW4. While I was waiting I decided to wait for a Juniper, assuming it would hit the streets in late ‘23/early ‘24. Once the consensus projections became Oct ‘24 at the earliest, and knowing I had a lock on an MYLR for $42.3K after tax credits - I decided I couldn‘t stand waiting any longer, bought in Nov. With Highland just coming on in North America, Cybertruck production (hell) scale up, the $25K model, robots, etc. - they have their hands full, so I doubt the Juniper will be available in NA by October. They can’t do everything at the same time, and they need the $25K car if they want to keep volume growth going strong. And who knows what the Juniper price and tax credit will be then. No right answer, we each have to make the decision that fits our needs.

Curious of everyone’s thought; for the same model at the same price point, would you rather purchase a final year unit of the current model design (with flaws & kinks identified and improved upon over the years) or the 1st year unit of the new model (with new features & teething issues to match)?

Curious of everyone’s thought; for the same model at the same price point, would you rather purchase a final year unit of the current model design (with flaws & kinks identified and improved upon over the years) or the 1st year unit of the new model (with new features & teething issues to match)?
Much improved suspension, ventilated seats, much quieter and rear screen are just some of the important upgrades being made. It's not like they are reinventing a new car. I see it more of a stylish refresh with added features/upgrades. The tech remains pretty much the same. Obviously my vote is to wait for the Juniper but maybe 6 months or more once released so they can work out those inevitable production issues on the assembly line.

would you rather purchase a final year day/week/month unit of the current ongoing continuous model design
FTFY

I’d prefer the new model at the same price point, but I’d wait at least 3 months to make sure initial teething has been worked out or at least identified so you know what you’re getting into. I wouldn’t to be among the first in line for any make/model, Tesla or other.

If the Juniper wasn’t so far off, plus price/tax credits unknown, I would have waited. The new features are all appealing, but none were show stoppers for me.

I have a 2023 MYP I got in May 2023. Will offload for the Juniper version when they release the performance. That’s one I can be content with for a few years. Upgraded stereo/speakers, suspension.likely sportier interior, ventilated seats, etc., and ideally quicker = no brainer!

I have a 2023 MYP I got in May 2023. Will offload for the Juniper version when they release the performance. That’s one I can be content with for a few years. Upgraded stereo/speakers, suspension.likely sportier interior, ventilated seats, etc., and ideally quicker = no brainer!
What’s typically left unsaid with such no brainer is one assumes it would work perfectly without any hint of rattles or imperfections…and would be among the loudest to complain as if the world is collapsing around them.

Reactions: sdbonez
I’d usually avoid first year of a new model but based on Highland I’m not sure Juniper really is a new model. I don’t think there will be many teething pains for it but I’d personally avoid it due to the stalk delete (though the ventilated seats would be nice).

I’d usually avoid first year of a new model but based on Highland I’m not sure Juniper really is a new model. I don’t think there will be many teething pains for it but I’d personally avoid it due to the stalk delete (though the ventilated seats would be nice).
I’m wondering if Tesla will effectively delete the PRND stalk function in Teslas with stalks? They can’t eliminate the other stalk functions, but they could move PRND to the touchscreen and disable that stalk function. It wouldn’t happen soon, but technically possible some day?

I’m neutral on stalk vs stalkless, either OK by me. I have stalks, but I know some MS/X owners who prefer stalkless after a few days getting used to it. They say it works well for everything except maybe turn signals exiting roundabouts.

I’m wondering if Tesla will effectively delete the PRND stalk function in Teslas with stalks? They can’t eliminate the other stalk functions, but they could move PRND to the touchscreen and disable that stalk function. It wouldn’t happen soon, but technically possible some day?
I would not be surprised if all Teslas shared a common interface on the touch screen but they can’t remove the physical gear selector from existing cars with stalks without retrofitting them with physical buttons to make gear change. So, short answer, no: they won’t be doing a remote stalk delete.