Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2024 Refresh - Project Juniper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not be surprised if all Teslas shared a common interface on the touch screen but they can’t remove the physical gear selector from existing cars with stalks without retrofitting them with physical buttons to make gear change. So, short answer, no: they won’t be doing a remote stalk delete.
Fair point. I should have said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla eventually gives current stalked vehicle owners a software update with
  • the predictive PRND function,
  • the left edge touchscreen PRND “buttons“ as an override,
  • and the right stalk is the physical backup - instead of the overhead buttons like the Highland has, or console buttons like S/X.
I’d probably welcome that change, and don’t see a downside…

Fair point. I should have said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla eventually gives current stalked vehicle owners a software update with
  • the predictive PRND function,
  • the left edge touchscreen PRND “buttons“ as an override,
  • and the right stalk is the physical backup - instead of the overhead buttons like the Highland has, or console buttons like S/X.
I’d probably welcome that change, and don’t see a downside…
I 100% agree that is likely our future and I’d be fine with that as well. Who knows: I might even decide I like it more. I’m still getting used to shifting with the right stalk which I haven’t done on a car since my first (a 1977 Chevy Nova I bought when I graduated high school in 1989). All my other cars were manual aside from the e-golf which has the gear selector in the same place as a manual and my Prius which has its own unique gear shift.

Reactions: Midpack
juniper is 2025, when Tesla estimates end of 2024 16 months ago, always means +6 months - he’s in no hurry to refresh this car cuz it’s the one he’s selling like crazy

His minor tweak in China, is actually a cost saving scheme, which is basically a Govee LED strip integrated into the software in exchange for removing the woodgrain in lays (which makes the interior feel even less premium) and is just to add features their local market likes and attempt to keep pace with BYD which can produce these things way cheaper

Last edited:
From a parts-diversity standpoint, getting Juniper rolling is a win for Tesla since it would likely re-use a fair number of items from the now-shipping Highland-3. I suspect the design side of Juniper is straight forward and the timing will line up with sunsetting suppliers on the old pieces and reaching full ramp on the new ones. My bet is end-of-2024

I really hope they think twice before removing turn signals on the Y. I know they’re all into it right now, but I’m hoping that if they take long enough to get to the Y then they’ll just skip that design mistake.
That will depend on acceptance with the Highland, along with acceptance with the S and X - as far as I can tell it hasn’t hurt S and X sales. It remains to be seen if it’s a design mistake, regardless of those who think it is.

That will depend on acceptance with the Highland, along with acceptance with the S and X - as far as I can tell it hasn’t hurt S and X sales. It remains to be seen if it’s a design mistake, regardless of those who think it is.
The volumes of S and X cars is minuscule in comparison to the Y though. It takes a bit for the true believers to sort out of the Tesla buying curve as well, so immediate sales won’t tell us much.

The volumes of S and X cars is minuscule in comparison to the Y though. It takes a bit for the true believers to sort out of the Tesla buying curve as well, so immediate sales won’t tell us much.
I know you want your opinion to be true for everyone now, but as I said we just don’t know yet. The Model S and X went stalkless in Jan 2021, 3 years ago, and if stalkless was a resounding mistake we’d know by now. Again, the Highland in North America will tell us a lot more, but they’ve been on the road since Sept in China, Australia, parts of Europe etc.

From a parts-diversity standpoint, getting Juniper rolling is a win for Tesla since it would likely re-use a fair number of items from the now-shipping Highland-3. I suspect the design side of Juniper is straight forward and the timing will line up with sunsetting suppliers on the old pieces and reaching full ramp on the new ones. My bet is end-of-2024
It would make logical sense to reduce the number of parts, but Tesla has not made that a priority in the past.

Model 3/Y has had different headlights and tail lights since 2021. I believe Y Performance started getting the matrix headlights in 2022. Y LR started getting them in 2023, initially for Fremont builds only. And the Y has had “global” tail lights with amber turn signals since late 2020. Model 3 kept the North American style combined red brake/turn tail lights until 2023 with the 3 Performance getting them first and others them getting them mid year.

The body work and bumpers are obviously not shared so that doesn’t make a difference for number of parts. Same for door panels and center console etc. Most of the underlying electronics are unchanged for Highland.

So that really just leaves the dashboard, steering wheel, center screen, and front seats as being newly different from the Y.

It would make logical sense to reduce the number of parts, but Tesla has not made that a priority in the past.
Just because there are some exceptions, of course they reduce parts as much as possible. The original Model 3 and Y shared 75% of parts, widely publicized. And then there’s gigacastings, eliminating a total of 370 parts on the Model 3 front, rear and battery castings, also widely publicized.

Reactions: popgodazipa
Just because there are some exceptions, of course they reduce parts as much as possible. The original Model 3 and Y shared 75% of parts, widely publicized. And then there’s gigacastings, eliminating a total of 370 parts on the Model 3 front, rear and battery castings, also widely publicized.
And then there's the first principles Musk stated "the best part is no part" mantra - which is why the stalks disappeared in the first place for example.

so would this be considered 2nd Gen MY? like my 02 CR-V was a 2nd Gen CR-V, and my 2014 Sportage was a 3rd Gen Sportage.

after watching a bunch of the 2nd Gen M3 aka Highland reviews, it seems a lot better. i'm hoping the 2nd Gen MY will be as good or better.

so would this be considered 2nd Gen MY? like my 02 CR-V was a 2nd Gen CR-V, and my 2014 Sportage was a 3rd Gen Sportage.

after watching a bunch of the 2nd Gen M3 aka Highland reviews, it seems a lot better. i'm hoping the 2nd Gen MY will be as good or better.
Tesla is constantly doing minor refreshes on their own timetable (unlike legacy auto for the most part), so I guess I'd call Highland/Juniper to be major refreshes as it's a larger collection of more substantial changes.

Reactions: HitchHiker71

In an attempt to clear things up, Tesla has sent out an email to employees that no refresh Model Y will be launching in North America this year.

According to the email, a copy of which was obtained by Drive Tesla, the automaker said “it is important we communicate transparently that there is no refresh for the Model Y launching this year.”

Tesla ends the email by saying “there is no better time for customers to start driving the world’s best-selling vehicle,” highlighting the incentives available for the electric SUV.

Why did people expect a new Y in NA this year? They just released the new 3 a few weeks ago.

Likely they’ll do the same with new Y… launch in Asia then Europe and then NA.
Reading between the lines:
  • There will be a refresh
  • The refresh could launch this year outside NA

That is exactly how I interpreted it. They would not specify North America if there were no refresh coming anywhere. So this pretty much confirms a refresh in China for Q3 or Q4 and North America for Q1.
Probably same schedule as highland. Basically announce it as the last pre-refresh deliveries are finishing up so they don’t get a mass of cancellations/holds.

Reactions: halfhumble
Hard to know how they will prioritize Juniper vs Cybertruck production scale up, semi production, Giga factory expansions, and the $25K car (crucial to future growth). Not to mention dojo, Optimus, AI, megapacks, solar, boring, Space X, etc.

Reactions: HitchHiker71