Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 2024 Refresh - Project Juniper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the people that are holding out, which aspect of the refresh seems that critical to you? Or is it that you hate not having the most recent? Personally, I’d be reluctant to buy an early refresh model. I’d much rather have the last iteration of the previous version.
For all the reasons listed in the tweet below. We can expect the same updates plus more for Juniper.

I mean not with a major overhaul like Highland was but there’s been some pretty significant changes every year.

2021 2.0 center console, HEPA filter
2022 MCU3 and Li-ion LV battery
2023 2.0 door panels and rear parcel shelf (and removal of USS)
2024 HW4
True, there have been incremental changes, but if a major rehaul is potentially less than 12 months away and you don't need a vehicle right now then it makes sense to wait.

Reactions: E90alex
You can buy now and resell to buy a new one later. There will be depreciation but both of you will feel happier.
That was my calculus. Though I don't normally trade cars often, like to keep a car 7+ years, IF I want the Juniper so much when it comes out I can do a trade. I'd probably still wait for initial bugs to be worked out, HW5, Abyss Blue Multicoat (may never come, and I don't want a wrap), or whatever else is in the offing then. Obviously if the trade in value for my '23 MYLR is awful, we can't know that yet, I'll have to factor that in. First world problems.

That was my calculus. Though I don't normally trade cars often, like to keep a car 7+ years, IF I want the Juniper so much when it comes out I can do a trade. I'd probably still wait for initial bugs to be worked out, HW5, Abyss Blue Multicoat (may never come, and I don't want a wrap), or whatever else is in the offing then. Obviously if the trade in value for my '23 MYLR is awful, we can't know that yet, I'll have to factor that in. First world problems.
If you can wait to near the end of the year then you can have better decision.

If you can wait to near the end of the year then you can have better decision.
I'll be very surprised if the Juniper shows up before Jan 2025. I am guessing the reduced price EV model is, will be the top priority, and that's slated for early 2025 (though some Osborne effect defense probably in play). But we'll see. My guess it will be late 2025 at the earliest before I'd buy a Juniper (given my stipulations above).

Musk provided another update during a Q2 2024 investor call saying that the timeline for production on the new platform has been moved up.

“We’ve updated our future vehicle lineup to accelerate the launch of new models ahead,” said Musk during the call. “Previously mentioned starting production in the second half of 2025, we expect it to be more like early 2025 if not late this year.”

"These new vehicles, including more affordable models will use aspects of the next generation platform as well as aspects of our current platforms,” said Musk.

“We’ll be able to produce on the same manufacturing lines as our current vehicle lineup so it’s not contingent on any new factory or massive new production line. It will be made on our current production lines much more efficiently."

• Informative
Reactions: rlsd
The main things I'm looking for in the Juniper Y compared to the current 2024 Y are all the same things found in the Highland Model 3:
- More comfortable suspension. Current Y has a rough ride on bumpy city streets, although it's fine on smooth suburban streets and highways.
- Quieter cabin at highway speeds.
- Improved exterior looks, need to remove the front upper lip.
- Higher resale value for Juniper Y, even though it costs the same to buy as the current Y.
- 2nd row touchscreen for kids.
- Slightly nicer interior.
- Cooled front seats.
- Juniper Performance Model Y even faster than current Performance Y, with updated track mode.
You forgot UWB and the blind spot light incorporated into the front pillars.

The main things I'm looking for in the Juniper Y compared to the current 2024 Y are all the same things found in the Highland Model 3:
- More comfortable suspension. Current Y has a rough ride on bumpy city streets, although it's fine on smooth suburban streets and highways.
- Quieter cabin at highway speeds.
- Improved exterior looks, need to remove the front upper lip.
- Higher resale value for Juniper Y, even though it costs the same to buy as the current Y.
- 2nd row touchscreen for kids.
- Slightly nicer interior.
- Cooled front seats.
- Juniper Performance Model Y even faster than current Performance Y, with updated track mode.
Have you test driven the Highland?