Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 3600 Mile Model X Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S is this way as well.
The X is magnitudes louder than the S. At least between my cars, the X is somewhere along the lines of three to four times louder. I can hear the X from 100 yards away pretty easily. My S requires being a few cars away in a lot before I can hear it.

I parked next to a bike path the other day and used the app to start cooling the car. It was so loud, people on bikes were nearly falling off as they craned their heads to see what the heck was causing the noise.

After spending what seemed like an eternity waiting for my Model X, watching the forums daily, hoping for any glitter of news, living vicariously with through the early Founder and Signature owners’ experiences, I took delivery of my X on April 19th. I have spent the last 30 days enjoying my Model X, and just concluded a 3600 mile journey visiting family and with friends, then to our annual golf outing to the Robert Trent Jones Trail in central Alabama.

This is my first TesIa, so I will try to organize this thread so readers can choose which section of interest.
Super great report. I forwarded the deer story to my wife who ended up in our last ICE vehicle like the sedan that was following you did.

Thanks for all the comments, discussions and likes from Model X readers. I hope in some way I was able to repay the time and efforts of those who took the time to share their experiences as I awaited my X.

Special thanks to Bonnie and Ohmman as moderators who spend so much time helping all us enjoy our Tesla Experiences.

My apologies for the few typo’s along the way. For those awaiting, and those driving X’s, I tried to relate the experience of Driving the X albeit a little long winded on occasion. Glad to be part of the Tesla “family”.

@paintpolisher Wow, that's an great trip. Main is one state I have never visited. Hope to hear about your travels. Enjoy the travels. Not sure if I-81 meets your needs. A scenic route in the summer and great SC all along the way -- no tolls or the traffic issues on I-95.

A wonderful trip report, thanks for sharing!

I wonder if you kept track of, or noticed, how your total energy usage was compared to the 'rated' range of the car.

When you used EVTripPlanner to look at your route, what settings did you use, and were those settings close enough to accurate that you'd rely on those numbers again in the future?

I am planning a PA -> South Carolina trip for end of the summer, first long road trip in the X. On EVTripPlanner I've used a Model S P90D w/21" wheels and 1.1x speed multiplier to mimic what I though I'd do in my X90D with 20" wheels driving the speed limit.

@paintpolisher Wow, that's an great trip. Main is one state I have never visited. Hope to hear about your travels. Enjoy the travels. Not sure if I-81 meets your needs. A scenic route in the summer and great SC all along the way -- no tolls or the traffic issues on I-95.

Thanks John. We are heading to Norfolk, VA on the first day, then up to Jersey City to see Statue of Liberty, Mystic, CT, Newport, RI, Boston and then Bar Harbor, ME. Philadelphia on the way back with a stop over in Burlington, NC before getting back home.

I wonder if you kept track of, or noticed, how your total energy usage was compared to the 'rated' range of the car.

When you used EV TripPlanner to look at your route, what settings did you use, and were those settings close enough to accurate that you'd rely on those numbers again in the future?

I am planning a PA -> South Carolina trip for end of the summer, first long road trip in the X. On EVTripPlanner I've used a Model S P90D w/21" wheels and 1.1x speed multiplier to mimic what I though I'd do in my X90D with 20" wheels driving the speed limit.

I set EV Planner to Model S with 21 inch wheel and speed at 110 percent of speed limit. Interestingly, Tesla Trip planner made EV Planner moot. I didn't realize until I was driving the Model S loaner (this week) that the Model X W/Mile are somewhat greater than the Model S. However, the Model S loaner is a 85 -- so some of that difference can be the X's P90D pulling more power. The W/Mile, on my trip generally was 350-390, so the rated miles was not a good gauge of remaining charge. I didn't record the overall trip.

Occasionally, I hit the Model X "sweet spot" of 325 watts/mile or less. Then the Rated range and predicted range matched (at the last 30 miles setting). Keep in mind for my trip I was driving through the Appalachian Mountains. I-81 rises is 20,000 feet. So there is significant variations through the mountain range. I realized that my predicted miles would improve as I descended from the peaks as I became more knowledgeable of the readings.

If you are planning down I-81 from Harrisburg area there are well-placed super charger in Hagerstown ( I-81 and 70) and along I-81 in Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina (Greenville). Hope that is helpful. Again, I would stop and short charge rather than skip and long charge as a suggestion. Packing that last 50 miles of charge is an hour.

Last edited: