Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2018 Model X has terrible battery, roughly 120 miles ;(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I truly love my 2018 Model X 75D but my only issue is the crappy battery life. I charge up to 85% every night and I'm not getting more than 120 miles of driving. I went to Tesla about 2-3 years ago and they blamed it on my driving style, which i feel is a cop out, an easy way to kick me out of the office. If you're telling me I'm supposed to get 237 miles, you cant tell me I'm getting 120 miles due to my driving style. We do have an 8 year warranty on batteries, right?

Hi, I truly love my 2018 Model X 75D but my only issue is the crappy battery life. I charge up to 85% every night and I'm not getting more than 120 miles of driving. I went to Tesla about 2-3 years ago and they blamed it on my driving style, which i feel is a cop out, an easy way to kick me out of the office. If you're telling me I'm supposed to get 237 miles, you cant tell me I'm getting 120 miles due to my driving style. We do have an 8 year warranty on batteries, right?
The EPA rated range test schedule based on the is based on a max highway speed of 60 mph. If you drive faster, you are going to do worse. Also, it is done starting with the battery at 100%.

With my 2018 x75 D it felt it was a 150-mile car at best for my style of driving, with a 90% charge and 70-75 mph highway. My 2022 X100 is more like a 230-mile range at 70-75.

If you have the 22" Turbines, that won't help. I sold those on ours last year. Going above about 73 mph also won't help, so I try and avoid that.

My average on the 20s for the past few months is hovering around 385 wh/Mile as reported by TeslaFi. The car always has rosier numbers (about 360 for the same period - I'm thinking it ignores HVAC loads?).

The HVAC has a much bigger hit on range than I ever would have expected.

And (generally) shorter range with a Tesla isn't as big a problem. We once had a LEAF (40kWh version) that struggled to get to 100 miles and it wasn't very easy to find chargers for that. Definitely wasn't a road-tripper. An air-cooled battery in these parts was a no-no.

Understood, in other words it is what it is, accept my 120 miles and move on.

I thank you all for your inputs :)
Not really, but you need to get more specific in terms of range. Basically, we don't have enough information to know if you have a problem.

Are you getting something close to 75 kWh of charge from your car? That's the real measure of whether you have a battery problem.

For example: If you add 25 kWh of charge and your battery percentage increases from (say) 30% to less than 70%, then your battery is probably OK.
But if the same energy raises your battery from (say) 30% to 90%, then you have a real problem.

Reactions: Bigriver
I charge up to 85% every night and I'm not getting more than 120 miles of driving. I went to Tesla about 2-3 years ago and they blamed it on my driving style, which i feel is a cop out, an easy way to kick me out of the office. If you're telling me I'm supposed to get 237 miles, you cant tell me I'm getting 120 miles due to my driving style.
You are mixing up battery health with driving efficiency.

When it was new, 5 years ago, it had a rated range of 237 miles which is based on EPA conditions that may not match real life. It would be normal for it to have about 10% degradation at this point. We are down to 213 rated miles. You charge it to 85%, which would be 181 rated miles. Are you driving it to empty? I think not. I am going to assume you end your day at 10%. This means you have 21 rated miles left. So you have used 160 rated miles to go 120 actual miles, which is 75% efficiency. Not great, but within expectations depending on tire size, how fast you go, and how much energy is being used while the car sits idle (due to sentry mode, overheat protection, etc.)

Not great, but within expectations depending on tire size, how fast you go, and how much energy is being used while the car sits idle (due to sentry mode, overheat protection, etc.)
That is especially true this year! It's been so opressively hot this summer that my cabin overheat protection (and keeping the AC on full blast while driving) is devouring the range on my '18 75D.

That is especially true this year! It's been so opressively hot this summer that my cabin overheat protection (and keeping the AC on full blast while driving) is devouring the range on my '18 75D.

Wrap/tint the ceiling windows (or all-around ceramic), it helps. The caveat is that in the winter the effect is reversed (you'll need more heating, though winter sun you will not lose much).

Reactions: Falcon73
If you have the 22" Turbines, that won't help. I sold those on ours last year. Going above about 73 mph also won't help, so I try and avoid that.

My average on the 20s for the past few months is hovering around 385 wh/Mile as reported by TeslaFi. The car always has rosier numbers (about 360 for the same period - I'm thinking it ignores HVAC loads?).

The HVAC has a much bigger hit on range than I ever would have expected.
HVAC loads were definitely included in the numbers in 2017, so I doubt that has changed. The energy stuff doesn't update while in park / off, though. TeslaFi is probably including vampire drain, which is really better measured in a per day sense and doesn't have anything to do with driving.

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
HVAC loads were definitely included in the numbers in 2017
3 of the 5 EPA test do not include HVAC...

1692030721195.png

But that is only if they used the 5-cycle test. I don't think the 2-cycle test includes any HVAC use.

3 of the 5 EPA test do not include HVAC...

View attachment 964835

But that is only if they used the 5-cycle test. I don't think the 2-cycle test includes any HVAC use.
Fair enough, as I was vague, but I meant the numbers in the car efficiency reports. Specifically, I watched those numbers climb when sitting in traffic in 2017.

ETA: To be clear this time, I mean the WH/mi was climbing multiple steps while the vehicle had not moved.

So even if the battery is showing 200+ miles on the instrument cluster, you're still getting a lot less range than it shows?
I have a P90D from 2016 and it's been showing 200+ miles for me, but I was never able to squeeze out more than 150 with very mild driving. Definitely sounds like a cop out. Have them do a kWh analysis of the battery. If it's 70% or less than the original factory capacity, then you're entitled to a replacement.

No, the older Model Xs have no degradation warranty. The battery warranty only covers failure of the battery.
Perhaps I'm mistaken but I've read that 70% retention rate in my 8 year unlimited mile battery warranty. Have you or someone you know confirmed that Tesla only covers failure of battery? If so, I'm very disappointed in Tesla for this... These cars are becoming less drivable by the day and they're essentially forcing us to buy a new car or fork over $20,000+ for a new battery (if you want to keep free supercharging of course).