Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY - AWD no longer on order page

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That model is discontinued. Speculation that 4680 batteries are needed for Cybertruck. No other model Y uses those batteries, so shift production to CT.

More details here:
. Model Y news starts at 2:39 mark on timeline.

They also seem to have very deep discounts on local inventory Model Y LR cars - several locally lower than the discontinued SR AWD Y.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
wow, discounts on local inventory Model Y LR cars lower than the discontinued SR AWD Y??

Here in AZ the cheapest Model Y All-Wheel Drive is $47,700 from $50,740 sticker. Looks like they're not discounting AWD as much here:(BTW The cheapest M3 is 36K (screaming deal IMO but my son doesn't want my SR 3 as hand me down)

I went by our local SC and their lots are FULL. Not too many buyers while I was there too. we shall see since my hold expires Friday. Do they auto assign inventory or do I get to edit and pick? I guess I can't custom order an AWD Y anymore

wow, discounts on local inventory Model Y LR cars lower than the discontinued SR AWD Y??

Here in AZ the cheapest Model Y All-Wheel Drive is $47,700 from $50,740 sticker. Looks like they're not discounting AWD as much here:(BTW The cheapest M3 is 36K (screaming deal IMO but my son doesn't want my SR 3 as hand me down)

I went by our local SC and their lots are FULL. Not too many buyers while I was there too. we shall see since my hold expires Friday. Do they auto assign inventory or do I get to edit and pick? I guess I can't custom order an AWD Y anymore
They assign a VIN that matches your configuration. If you want to change your configuration I'd ask a salesperson in the store or call as I wouldn't want it to auto assign a different configuration VIN when you hold expires.

• Informative
The more I've read about the base Y AWD the less I like it. Worse energy density, worse range, no real efficiency improvement, much worse charging curve, worse resale value.

If I was going to hold it for over 100k miles I'd be very concerned about future repair costs. A much more rare model with a unique rare battery pack and different structural battery interior is going to have a much higher premium on parts and repairs than the far more common long range.

If Tesla had made a RWD Y with LFP battery I would have actually considered that. In theory it would have an even cheaper price. LFP has some big long term advantages as those batteries can last 500k+ miles as well as more often 100% charge. They also charge faster than the 4680. Perhaps with the Y Juniper 2024 refresh we will get an LFP option here as they currently have in Asia/Europe.

I'm not convinced the 4680 Y was discontinued just to allocate those cells to Cybertruck. Perhaps the 4680 cells have just been a bit of a flop, as well as that base Y structural pack gain's have not materialized. Tesla may just be pivoting to go in a different direction long term with the Y as well as other models.

• Helpful
Reactions: lencap and cdub
They assign a VIN that matches your configuration. If you want to change your configuration I'd ask a salesperson in the store or call as I wouldn't want it to auto assign a different configuration VIN when you hold expires.

will call. I guess I lose my $5K demo discount if I change the config but inventory prices are also about $4K off. The demo only had 53 miles interestingly and no damage per rep.

White+white would be nice in AZ heat if I can find one in inventory (test drove one but didn't see it online)

The more I've read about the base Y AWD the less I like it. Worse energy density, worse range, no real efficiency improvement, much worse charging curve, worse resale value.

If I was going to hold it for over 100k miles I'd be very concerned about future repair costs. A much more rare model with a unique rare battery pack and different structural battery interior is going to have a much higher premium on parts and repairs than the far more common long range.

Another thread said the structural pack made handling better, but that's one opinion I guess.

Mac015 - You raise interesting points, some of which I didn't consider when getting my 2023 MY SR. Thanks for the post.

A few thoughts: I deliberately chose the new battery pack since it's a structural frame member. Adding the GigaPress construction was also a deliberate choice to help improve structural stability, and hopefully better construction alignment. Sadly, my MY still had misaligned doors on delivery, and the rear hatch also isn't quite aligned. Still, I felt that in the long run the construction difference would make the 4680 MY more likely to remain structurally sound.

There are several articles that suggest that the 4680 pack is being repurposed for the CT which is also built in Austin, and that's the reason why the SR MY is discontinued. I posted about that here: (fast forward to 2:39 time code)

What very much disturbed me, as you point out, is the poor SuperCharger results. I traveled to FL and back and found that some stops were longer than expected. It wasn't until more data about the sharply sloping charge curves became available that I realized that Tesla should have disclosed that when the car battery pack was released. I'm frustrated that I was "misinformed", perhaps deliberately, by Tesla, but I don't SC often and in reality it's not a deal breaker, just annoying. I also found that the 150KWH SC are often less used than the higher capacity 250KWH units. That typically means that when I need a SC the lower powered units are available when the higher power ones have a wait (the wait isn't long, but it occurs at popular spots).

One ray of hope is that Tesla is deliberately handicapping the charging speed of the 4680 battery pack until they get enough real world data to indicate how faster charging affects battery life/longevity. That's likely given their past history, but still should have been disclosed when the pack was released. I also think that since the CT relies solely on 4680 packs it would be a very bad decision for Tesla to create an entire line of new vehicles that have long SC wait times. That makes me more confident that eventually the charge speeds will be increased. And if not, I still have my GigaPress/structural batter pack construction.

Would I buy the SR MY now, knowing all of this? Probably not, but I'm not overly upset as my April 2023 purchase price was $15K less than the January 2023 price, and I truly believed that the Austin built 4680 GigaPress version was better.

Addenda: After writing this I want to clarify why I probably wouldn't buy the MY SR. It's more related to the sharp discounts on LR MY inventory cars. At my local Tesla store I can get a LR MY for immediate delivery for a nearly $5,000 discount from list price! That makes it CHEAPER than I paid for the SR MY in April. It's the discount pricing that pushes me to the LR MY, not necessarily the 4680 pack charging speeds. Also, when I bought the SR MY I needed a car immediately - I ordered it in mid April and got it in 10 days (diverted from another location in route). The wait for the LR car was 6 weeks. There is no wait currently, so moving to the MY LR is financially a terrific deal if you get an inventory car and there is no wait time penalty either. The longer range is just a bonus.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Mac015 - You raise interesting points, some of which I didn't consider when getting my 2023 MY SR. Thanks for the post.

A few thoughts: I deliberately chose the new battery pack since it's a structural frame member. Adding the GigaPress construction was also a deliberate choice to help improve structural stability, and hopefully better construction alignment. Sadly, my MY still had misaligned doors on delivery, and the rear hatch also isn't quite aligned. Still, I felt that in the long run the construction difference would make the 4680 MY more likely to remain structurally sound.

There are several articles that suggest that the 4680 pack is being repurposed for the CT which is also built in Austin, and that's the reason why the SR MY is discontinued. I posted about that here: (fast forward to 2:39 time code)

What very much disturbed me, as you point out, is the poor SuperCharger results. I traveled to FL and back and found that some stops were longer than expected. It wasn't until more data about the sharply sloping charge curves became available that I realized that Tesla should have disclosed that when the car battery pack was released. I'm frustrated that I was "misinformed", perhaps deliberately, by Tesla, but I don't SC often and in reality it's not a deal breaker, just annoying. I also found that the 150KWH SC are often less used than the higher capacity 250KWH units. That typically means that when I need a SC the lower powered units are available when the higher power ones have a wait (the wait isn't long, but it occurs at popular spots).

One ray of hope is that Tesla is deliberately handicapping the charging speed of the 4680 battery pack until they get enough real world data to indicate how faster charging affects battery life/longevity. That's likely given their past history, but still should have been disclosed when the pack was released. I also think that since the CT relies solely on 4680 packs it would be a very bad decision for Tesla to create an entire line of new vehicles that have long SC wait times. That makes me more confident that eventually the charge speeds will be increased. And if not, I still have my GigaPress/structural batter pack construction.

Would I buy the SR MY now, knowing all of this? Probably not, but I'm not overly upset as my April 2023 purchase price was $15K less than the January 2023 price, and I truly believed that the Austin built 4680 GigaPress version was better.

Addenda: After writing this I want to clarify why I probably wouldn't buy the MY SR. It's more related to the sharp discounts on LR MY inventory cars. At my local Tesla store I can get a LR MY for immediate delivery for a nearly $5,000 discount from list price! That makes it CHEAPER than I paid for the SR MY in April. It's the discount pricing that pushes me to the LR MY, not necessarily the 4680 pack charging speeds. Also, when I bought the SR MY I needed a car immediately - I ordered it in mid April and got it in 10 days (diverted from another location in route). The wait for the LR car was 6 weeks. There is no wait currently, so moving to the MY LR is financially a terrific deal if you get an inventory car and there is no wait time penalty either. The longer range is just a bonus.

Good points. My SR 3 was deliberately handicapped as well and now has higher speeds so there's hope for the SR Y. I will still try to get my order changed to an SR if they let me but if an inventory LR Y is cheaper then it's a no brainer. My area still has SR with inventory discounts but not as steep as LR. Have to make the decision by tomorrow

Reactions: lencap