Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Car is an Insomniac...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I've probably created the situation with my enthusiasm in signing up for every website and app in the world allowing access to my car to read it's mind (Tesla App, Teslafi.com, Teslalog.com, EvMote.com, RemoteS and Energi...to name a few) but my car literally never sleeps anymore. I'm assuming some (all?) of the permissions/tokens will time out in 90 days (that's the lifetime of the tokens, I think), but in the mean time, I don't think my car has slept in weeks with all of this data flying in and out of it's brain. In fact, I KNOW it hasn't (thank you, Teslafi.com!)

So, my question is... do I care? Am I doing any harm by not letting my car sleep from time to time? I know I'm dead without 8 solid hours of sleep, but what does a baby Model S need?

How many miles per night are you losing to vampire drain?

I couldn't really say. I plug in when I get home and recharge every night. Insignificant, I'm sure (couple of miles?)

But it seems like it hums a lot, which to my ears, sounds like something moving or running, which is why I asked if it really needs to sleep. Am I unwittingly wearing out a part or two by not letting it sleep?

I couldn't really say. I plug in when I get home and recharge every night. Insignificant, I'm sure (couple of miles?)

But it seems like it hums a lot, which to my ears, sounds like something moving or running, which is why I asked if it really needs to sleep. Am I unwittingly wearing out a part or two by not letting it sleep?
Mine does that too. I think that's the HVAC perhaps cooling the battery. I'd just leave it do its thing.

The humming is caused by the coolant pumps running glycol in your pack so that the temperature is even across all of the battery cells. It will do that during charging or discharging (i.e. driving). It will also do that when heating or cooling the pack in temperature extremes.

Sleep has nothing to do with this : sleep refers to the 2 computers inside the car : the instrument cluster "IC" and the center information display "CID" also sometimes referred as the MCU aka the 17in screen.

Both computers and their attached systems suck a considerable amount of power from your 12v battery which in turn gets replenished by your high voltage pack.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and Ashkenaz
Mine has been draining a lot quicker these days than normal - it used to be about 3 - 6 km/day in the summer but now in the winter it is about 12 km/day. I thought it was due to the colder weather but I also have the Tesla Dashboard program running plus I check my car once a day when I am traveling (I really must stop doing that). Perhaps it is the combination of the colder weather and the CPU cycles initiated when I connect.

I do have it on Power Save mode and Always Connected (Off). The connection time seems to be the same so I bet it is working too much. I better change that password now and see if it makes a difference.