Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Car is Only Uploading FSD Clips When App is Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I monitor my network usage pretty closely, and I noticed that my car is only uploading the FSD clips I report during drives when my app is open on my phone. It seems like when the app is open, the car is awake and the upload bandwidth from the car is around 20-30 Mbps. If I don't have the Tesla app open, I assume the car goes to "sleep" and the bandwidth usage from my car goes to 0.

Anyone else notice this behavior?

my car typically uploads as soon as it is back on home wifi. If it doesn't and goes to sleep, it finds opportunities later. It must wake itself at some point. But I have also forced the car to wake with the app to ensure stuff gets uploaded in a timely manner. The thinking is that I can report more if there's no backlog of crap to send to the mothership.

I've also noticed a drop in uploads from the car when returning home. I used to see regular ~4GB of data uploaded as soon as I arrived back at home. Now I'm seeing at most ~300MB when the car is scheduled to charge at night. Maybe Tesla has a larger backlog of clips to annotate than they expected now that they've expanded the beta to so many vehicles? Or maybe they're looking for more edge cases, and not accepting clips from known failure points they already have a lot of data on?

For me, it was a nice comfort knowing all the driving with FSD Beta was producing (hopefully useful) data points to train the system. Maybe they've just improved their process on which clips they pull now, and isn't anything we need to worry about.

• Helpful
Reactions: TresLA
We have been seeing uploads of about 2gb per time we press the camera button, and about 1gb per beep requesting that we take control of the car (fcw, confusing lanes, etc).

The uploads occur right when park, but originally they wouldn’t upload for a while after we parked.

A screen capture of a log of uploads is attached. The traffic info says it’s going to Amazon, so Tesla should be able to scale up the reception of data if they programmed it correctly.

Attachments

• 3558A7F1-34B9-47EB-BED7-5BC0DCCD3455.png
    3558A7F1-34B9-47EB-BED7-5BC0DCCD3455.png
    414.4 KB · Views: 94