Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car won't charge faster than 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for locals hogging the SC. I live in Supercharger heaven. I have 7 or 8 within a 100 mile radius. I pass them almost every day. I can't be bothered to charge there unless I need to. Why would I waste time sitting there when I can be in my home with my family? To save $2.50 on electricity?

Some "extreme coupon" practitioners spend nearly 40 hours a week collecting and organizing coupons and an additional 4 hours beyond "normal" dealing with checkout limitations in the store, all to save about $300 a week. We're not talking about putting food on the table, we're talking about people who buy 140 tubes of toothpaste and store them in the garage, despite the fact they'll simply never use that many in decades! There's something about "free" that drives irrational behavior.

On a few occasions I've kind of abused being local to a supercharger for some free juice in Hamilton, NJ last year when I was living in NJ. I drove around for a couple of days without plugging in at home knowing I'd be near the supercharger sometime later that week, then topped off while grabbing lunch there while I was in the area. No one there when I was there anyway (middle of the day on a week day), so wasn't hogging a spot for a traveler. For lunch I stopped at Chick-fil-A on the way into the shopping center where the charger is, and I ate in my car at the charger... so I'd have moved if somehow six other Model S showed up in the ~30 minute window I was there eating and going through emails.

I've also hit up a local supercharger on a day I had a lot of local driving to do, where my HPWC wouldn't have gotten me back on the road fast enough. I actually wish Tesla would sell a mini-supercharger for home or business installs. I personally will have 76kW of grid power unused (after EV continuous load calcs) once I get my solar setup going, and I wouldn't mind a 60kW home charger for the times when I could use it (couple times a year) and for anyone else who would like to stop in.

Personally, I have no problem with locals using the superchargers. I'd have a problem if they wouldn't move for someone on a trip, though, if there were no spots available. Fortunately, I haven't run into this on the east coast yet. I've only ever waited for a stall once, in Newark, DE (only 4 stalls)... for ~5 minutes, and before both Hamilton, NJ and Woodbridge, VA were online. I've never seen more than 1 other car there since those came online.

Overall, I think Tesla is going to expand where expansion is needed, regardless of if it is supporting locals or travelers.

Are you using this definition of free?

Unfortunately that definition makes it worse. :) If you've paid for something explicitly, it has even more perceived value than if it's bundled.

I may or may not pay for Supercharging, because I just won't use it enough to justify the $2500. (3 x in ownership given my last 10 years driving history)

If one cropped up at my local Supermarket, where I go once a week minimum, I'd buy it because I'd be close to break even by not using my home charger... Does that make me a hogger, and a bad person? :D

Unfortunately that definition makes it worse. :) If you've paid for something explicitly, it has even more perceived value than if it's bundled.

I may or may not pay for Supercharging, because I just won't use it enough to justify the $2500. (3 x in ownership given my last 10 years driving history)

If one cropped up at my local Supermarket, where I go once a week minimum, I'd buy it because I'd be close to break even by not using my home charger... Does that make me a hogger, and a bad person? :D
It definitely makes it worse. It's just like going to the all you can eat buffet. Most people will try to get their money's worth. You cannot fight human nature.

I reported my 60kW problem this weekend on Sunday then called the supercharger number, contacted service by email, and from the web site asking help in pulling the logs, etc. I have still not received a call back from Tesla or contacted in any way.

As noted earlier in this thread: running 2.2.115, rarely supercharge (probably 5 times in 1.5 years, kW rate normal), 100 miles from home, new 135kW charger (#3), 30% battery [insufficient to get home without charging], alone on the charger, two others during a similar period had normal (high) kW rates. Moved to chagnge chargers (to #1) mid charge (50%) and saw no improvment. As a fluke I happened to have vt on on my office - normally never run it.

Had no idea about this issue until one of the other drivers I was talking to noted my issue and mentioned it.

View attachment 75323

Thanks.

It should be noted that I have reported two occasions with owners living close to Superchargers with version 6.1 (2.2.115) not reporting any throttling while redi, with the same version, reporting throttling.

This tells us that this issue is not confined to just the most recent versions of the car's firmware.

Since this is a new 135 kW Supercharger perhaps it has something to do with the version of the firmware associated with the Supercharger Station.

Larry

As for locals hogging the SC. I live in Supercharger heaven. I have 7 or 8 within a 100 mile radius. I pass them almost every day. I can't be bothered to charge there unless I need to. Why would I waste time sitting there when I can be in my home with my family? To save $2.50 on electricity?

Whenever I charge up at Oxnard, most people (including me) aren't just sitting in their cars but grabbing a meal, grocery shopping, etc. They build charging into their routine or add to their routine. Either way, the result is them spending their money on supporting the local economy. Don't see anything wrong with that - especially since it shows demand for growing the SC network and is an important selling point to businesses to allow TM to build SC at their location.

It could be that it's a bug in supercharger code, not car's code, and only they needed to be updated (and perhaps some of them have been), considering we haven't determined any sort of a pattern.

Yes, with regard to version 6.1 (2.2.115) of the firmware we can be fairly certain that that version of the car's firmware is not to blame since we have recorded occurances of cars with that version both being throttled and not being throttled.

So, that points to something to do with the individual Supercharger Stations being the variable. It could be a bug in the Supercharger firmware or deliberate based on the most current version of the Supercharger firmware.

As you correctly point out nothing has been confirmed that this is deliberate on the part of Tesla.

Larry

I am planning a road trip from California to Milwaukee and back in early May. I am just now in the route planning stage for our overnight stays and driving distances per day. I also want to take different routes going and coming. After this thread appeared, I decided to send an email to Tesla concerning this phenomenon. I stated that I had a pretty good idea of Supercharging times from a few previous trips that I have made, and was using my historical data to approximate charging times which ultimately would factor into my destination each day. I asked if I should be concerned with this lower charging rate and factor in longer charge times thereby reducing the miles traveled each day.

I sent off the email on Monday the 16th. Still no response.

It definitely makes it worse. It's just like going to the all you can eat buffet. Most people will try to get their money's worth. You cannot fight human nature.

I guess I'm not sure what's bothering you about this. Someone prepays for a service, then decides to use it to get the best return on his/her investment.

It doesn't bother me, but unless s/he doesn't have a way to charge at home, I question how much s/he values his/her time... but then again, who am I to judge?

Statistically speaking, I doubt this is an issue for the SpC P&L, and I speak as a heavy contributor to the P! :wink:

Ok, I feel kind of stupid but with everyone complaining of being local and only getting 60kW when supercharging I plugged in today at the local SC and looked on my iPhone Tesla app for the kW which showed on another posters app to the left at the bottom and what I have from left to right is miles per hour, voltage and amps. Where do I find the kW?

Ok, I feel kind of stupid but with everyone complaining of being local and only getting 60kW when supercharging I plugged in today at the local SC and looked on my iPhone Tesla app for the kW which showed on another posters app to the left at the bottom and what I have from left to right is miles per hour, voltage and amps. Where do I find the kW?

Go to Controls>Settings>Units & Format>Energy & Charging and select Energy.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I have asked four of our club members who live near Superchargers to provide their findings to me on this subject.

Here is the first response from a club member that lives 4 miles from the Port Saint Lucie Superchargers.

View attachment 74920

He is on v6.1(2.2.115) of the firmware.

He drove a little over 40 miles before charging in 80 degree weather on Charger 2A in Port Saint Lucie.

The charge rate quickly went to 111 kW then leveled off around 105-109kW for the first 5-10 minutes.

This is the first time he has used the Supercharger in about a month.

Larry

Here are the results of our second club member.

He lives 14 miles from the Ocala Supercharger.

View attachment 75175

As you can see we are zero for two. Despite living near two different Superchargers there was no throttling in either case.

He hadn't been to the Supercharger in about a month.

Temp was 85F and he’d driven about 25 miles in about 40 minutes just before charging.

He is on v6.1(2.2.115) of the firmware.

Larry

Here are the results of our third club member. He lives 10 miles from the Brandon Supercharger Station

Brandon Supercharging by John Edward Alley.jpg

So we are three for three with still no throttling when living nearby Superchargers.

He is also on v6.1(2.2.115) of the firmware.

Larry

Last edited:

In addition to changing the setting, you can also simply multiply: Volts x Amps = Watts. Then divide by 1000 to get kW.

I think someone else mentioned this as a possibility upthread, but I have to wonder if Tesla is simply testing throttled supercharging at a select few locations. Even taking the posted service paperwork at face value, where it states the throttling is intentional, it does not explicitly state WHY the throttling happened. Maybe they're playing with some parameters (e.g. in a beta version of supercharger firmware) that determine when to throttle, and a few people here have simply been caught up in the experiment. While it's possible distance from home is one parameter, there could be any number of others, including temperature, peak demand, other internal diagnostics...

Intentionally throttling someone's supercharging rate just because they're local doesn't make sense to me from any perspective - business/finance (despite the hard numbers), managing congestion, or (most of all) publicity. While nobody has ruled it out yet (nor have we ruled out anything as far as I can tell), I expect the probability of that being the reason is quite low.

I say this as someone who (similar to AmpedRealtor) has needed local supercharging at least once; in fact I might need it again in a couple months to drive from DC up to Gettysburg, back home just long enough to unload/load the car, and then down to Charlottesville.

If you like watching miles, you can still get kW from the Volts and Amps without changing modes. Watts = Volts * Amps, so kW = V*A/1000.

To get kW charging power, just take Volts times Amps and divide by 1,000.

What's the typical kW rate for a car at 40%? (as typical as it can get - I realize there are multiple factors)

Prompted by this thread, I went to my local SuperCharger (Toronto). I'm 5 miles away. I plugged into two different stalls and saw no higher than 50kW (42kW would be the average, I'd say). Only one other person charging at the time. I wasn't plugged into his paired charger.

It makes little sense to limit, unless it's to discourage use by locals. In my industry (wireless), you want people to use the resource as quickly as possible so it's free for others to consume. It's a balance between getting the consumer to pay for the faster data rate and freeing up the network. I don't understand why Tesla would want to slow things down for any other reason than to prolong the life of the battery, or because of some electrical fault.