Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My crappy delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 3 weeks ago I started to receive a flurry of emails from various Tesla email addresses. None of these were from the service delivery advisor.

- Some of the emails were spamming me for home delivery of my Model X vehicle (which i never ordered)
- Some of the emails were spamming me for home delivery of my Model 3 vehicle (which I wanted, but did not want home delivery, even if free)
- Some of them simply indicated to me that my model 3 was ready for delivery on either 9/28 or 9/29.

In addition, I received 2 calls about home deliveries -- one of the phantom Model X, and one about Model 3. I declined both as I had intentions of picking up the vehicle at the Marina Del Rey California facility. I also was confused as my online reservation did not show a VIN, so I was not sure what the status was.

Very confused, I called into the customer service number, to which the first agent told me to ignore all emails and calls from Tesla. Even after, I continued to receive even more emails.

I called in to the customer service number again, and explained everything above, which the customer service agent told me that he is going to transfer me to the delivery line as he sees the vehicle ready for pick up, even though i dont have a vin assigned online. He transferred me over and the delivery team tells me they cant deliver my car because there isnt one allotted to me. I ask if this case could be escalated as I simply am not getting anywhere but extremely frustrated because no one knows whats going on, and i'm getting the old school lame hustle. (being the customer!). This person tells me they cannot give me my service delivery advisors name or any way to contact them because it would be a breach of privacy. Get that straight. You work for Tesla, and your privacy is put at the highest level -- even for your corporate email or corporate phone number.

I called into customer service once more, and I get someone who actually creates a case about this, after explaining everything above. I ask for my delivery advisors information, and again I am denied for a phone number, though i get a email address. I literally lose it on the phone after they tell me that the only way I can buy the car is to accept the car via text message --- a phantom text message that was sent on 9/26, that I never received. I told the agent I want a call from the delivery advisor, who i'm sure is dodging me -- either overworked or just plain lazy.

I finally get a call last night from the SDA for a home delivery for 9/29. I ask him why does it have to be a home delivery? I'd rather pick it up. His response is, because its faster this way. I tell him I don't really care if its faster or not, i'd prefer picking up the car. He said it's not an option for a $60k car.

7 hours on the phone. Feeling like Oliver asking for more...

It's also end of quarter, which makes me think they are just cutting corners to get these cars out for their quarterly filing.

Would anyone else consider declining the vehicle? I don't have anywhere to really inspect the car, and I've been told that the home delivery process is pretty much a driver delivering a filthy car. Granted, I understand there are online checklists, but why the heck am I performing a RO/RO vehicle inspection?

This doesnt seem right.

Is anyone else getting the Tesla Q3 Hustle?

Reading experiences here relating to quality issues, it doesn’t appear that there’s any difference between home delivery or delivery center pickup. Perhaps you feel that you’ll have more control over the situation at a delivery center?

Regardless of how you feel about home delivery, this is the current delivery scenario to get you a car in the immediate timeframe. If you reject it, you are essentially accepting the consequences (likely not getting your car for some time). Demand is on their side and they will simply find someone else to deliver it to.

Reactions: Vitold
Let them deliver the car to you. Inspect the car. Don't sign anything or hand over the check until you're satisfied.

This.

I was also told it had to be home delivery. I live 20 miles away from the center. The car didn’t arrive dirty; just what you would expect driving it home yourself.

I inspected the car thoroughly and would have rejected it if I found anything I wasn’t happy with. The SA also didn’t pressure to pay first or anything like that. She helped look over the car (and noted down a few things I missed) and then we did the paperwork.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vitold
I used to work for vehicle logistics for insurance and i can tell you that this was a very difficult home delivery.

The pair of Tesla employees worked in product design and knew almost nothing about the vehicle except to start it and stop it.

In addition, typically when accepting or looking at a vehicle, both parties fill out some kind of logistics document to identify and confirm that both parties agree that the damages exist. In this case, there was not such a form. In addition they mentioned that they've been delivering Tesla's all day and they have spent about 10 minutes at each location. I held them up for 1.5 hours while evaluating the vehicle, since there was a ton of poor craftmanship with the vehicle

As a whole:

15 issues identified with the exterior
3 issues identified with the interior

A lot of these were not minor items either:
  • Exterior issues included 3 out of 4 wheels being either curbed (yes, curbed) or scratched
  • Passenger door well had a red sticky pointer towards a paint chip/dent. Someone at Tesla had stuck that on before sending it out for delivery. (Q3 rush!)
  • Glass roof was etched/scuffed on the edges -- likely from a rush job installing
  • Both headlamps were scuffed -- passenger side had two lines scuffed down the middle, driver side had scuffs on the bottom of the light next to the bumper
  • Interior fabric pillar behind the driver and passenger seat has a tread dangling -- Tesla employee pulled on it and it just unravelled further and further.
-- to name a few of the larger ticket items that will need to be addressing

For a $62k vehicle, this is poor service imo. Why am I doing an insurance inspection of the vehicle when the company should be doing this instead?

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
About 3 weeks ago I started to receive a flurry of emails from various Tesla email addresses. None of these were from the service delivery advisor.

- Some of the emails were spamming me for home delivery of my Model X vehicle (which i never ordered)
- Some of the emails were spamming me for home delivery of my Model 3 vehicle (which I wanted, but did not want home delivery, even if free)
- Some of them simply indicated to me that my model 3 was ready for delivery on either 9/28 or 9/29.

In addition, I received 2 calls about home deliveries -- one of the phantom Model X, and one about Model 3. I declined both as I had intentions of picking up the vehicle at the Marina Del Rey California facility. I also was confused as my online reservation did not show a VIN, so I was not sure what the status was.

Very confused, I called into the customer service number, to which the first agent told me to ignore all emails and calls from Tesla. Even after, I continued to receive even more emails.

I called in to the customer service number again, and explained everything above, which the customer service agent told me that he is going to transfer me to the delivery line as he sees the vehicle ready for pick up, even though i dont have a vin assigned online. He transferred me over and the delivery team tells me they cant deliver my car because there isnt one allotted to me. I ask if this case could be escalated as I simply am not getting anywhere but extremely frustrated because no one knows whats going on, and i'm getting the old school lame hustle. (being the customer!). This person tells me they cannot give me my service delivery advisors name or any way to contact them because it would be a breach of privacy. Get that straight. You work for Tesla, and your privacy is put at the highest level -- even for your corporate email or corporate phone number.

I called into customer service once more, and I get someone who actually creates a case about this, after explaining everything above. I ask for my delivery advisors information, and again I am denied for a phone number, though i get a email address. I literally lose it on the phone after they tell me that the only way I can buy the car is to accept the car via text message --- a phantom text message that was sent on 9/26, that I never received. I told the agent I want a call from the delivery advisor, who i'm sure is dodging me -- either overworked or just plain lazy.

I finally get a call last night from the SDA for a home delivery for 9/29. I ask him why does it have to be a home delivery? I'd rather pick it up. His response is, because its faster this way. I tell him I don't really care if its faster or not, i'd prefer picking up the car. He said it's not an option for a $60k car.

It's also end of quarter, which makes me think they are just cutting corners to get these cars out for their quarterly filing.

Would anyone else consider declining the vehicle? I don't have anywhere to really inspect the car, and I've been told that the home delivery process is pretty much a driver delivering a filthy car. Granted, I understand there are online checklists, but why the heck am I performing a RO/RO vehicle inspection?

This doesnt seem right.

This doesnt seem right.

I’ve had a much different experience.

My Tesla model three was scheduled to be picked up at the Mount Kisco New York location today September 29. The facility was packed with people as they were going to deliver over 160 cars and it seems like everybody was waiting wait beyond their appointed appointment time. I had a 3 PM appointment and finally at about 4 o’clock and advisor told me my car would be ready in a few minutes. We filled out paperwork for the trade-in and then it seem like we went into some endless delay. While waiting I picked up the Tesla application and it seemed like my phone was trying to connect with the car but he couldn’t.

Finally a delivery advisor came out at 5:45 after we’ve been at the facility now for three hours and said my car was actually not at the facility but was back in Baltimore and never made it on the truck to get delivered to Mount Kisco.

No one could find my car because the battery was dead

Tesla had a return my trade-in and put the plates back on and then asked if I could come back tomorrow as they would assigned me a new VIN from the Paramus New Jersey location.

We rejected that offer because we’re going to spend the rest of our weekend sitting around at the Mount Kisco location waiting for another car.

I’ve never had to wait so long to actually get a car or in this case had to wait over three hours for a car that I never received.

The delivery advisor and they are doing their due diligence to actually now get a home delivery which in our case was never offered initially.

A home delivery would certainly be much easier. And I’m definitely not going to except the original van because I suspect there is a battery problem and it’s likely that the car never made it on the transport vehicle from Baltimore to Mount Kisco because the battery was dead to begin with.