Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@diplomat33 I got to thinking about backing into traffic. Why wasn't it the passenger side that got hit ;)
Part of the reason I ask is, if this was the further lane from the side you were backing out of that hit you, a "camera based" cross path warning would surely have had the time and visibility to see it coming.

What many want (like @jebinc) is for radar based cross path where you can't see when sandwiched between two large vehicles. Which would be hard to pull off as effectively with the cameras we have now.

But this incident sounds preventable with the sensors (cameras) we all have now.

Reactions: jebinc
"52% of car accidents happen within 5 mile radius from home." Sometimes much closer!
Wife hit the wall inside the garage when she came home, the side wall. Did some damage to the fender. I was upstairs, the whole house shook. For the first time in a long time I kept my cool Fixed the wall damage, car gets fixed soon.
I hope your repair turns out to be acceptable diplomat 33. good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: diplomat33
"52% of car accidents happen within 5 mile radius from home." Sometimes much closer!
Wife hit the wall inside the garage when she came home, the side wall. Did some damage to the fender. I was upstairs, the whole house shook. For the first time in a long time I kept my cool Fixed the wall damage, car gets fixed soon.
I hope your repair turns out to be acceptable diplomat 33. good luck.

Thanks. I filed an insurance claim and spoke to the rep. He said my insurance will pay Tesla directly for the repairs. I have an appointment with Tesla for April 14. Just waiting to hear back from Tesla now.

• Informative
Reactions: Arthur31 and jebinc
Thanks. I filed an insurance claim and spoke to the rep. He said my insurance will pay Tesla directly for the repairs. I have an appointment with Tesla for April 14. Just waiting to hear back from Tesla now.
That sounds good. I know the feeling though, and we drove around for quite a while with the damage on the car( non Tesla) before coming to terms with the knowledge that our insurance rates would go up because of the accident. Such is life in the fast, uh, slower lane.

Update: my insurance will pay $4,250 for the repairs and I will need to pay my deductible of $1,000. I can live with that. Now, I am just waiting to hear from Tesla. I have an appointment for April 14. Can't come soon enough.

I don't know yet.
Check this out…

Check this out…

That's just what I need, a horror story about collision repair going wrong. Thanks. LOL.

Reactions: jebinc
Sorry to hear this @diplomat33 but at least you did not do something like this a month after you bought it new like I did. The Tesla certified bodyshop I used - the only one in Austin at the time - was superb. The car looked better than before the accident, so they are not all bad. More pain to come when they adjust your insurance rate.

Reactions: diplomat33