Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY FSD fails to read yellow speed sign on ramp?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my weekend trip, there is one ramp with significant lower speed (30 MPH) than the section that connects it (55 MPH) . I noticed that my MY still uses 60 MPH I set for 55 MPH high way speed when it is on the ramp. A little scary! I have to manually apply brake to get me out of FSD so I can stay on the ramp!

It happens every time when I am on that ramp. By the way, the ramp is not like the ramps that branch off the high way. The ramp is the end part of the high way.

mine doesn't either. On the other hand, no other driver seems to read those signs, either!

Regardless of the sign the car does slow down based on the radius of the curve, but that seems to be reactionary, not anticipatory. I think it would probably make sense to start slowing down if there's a yellow sign with the limit significantly lower than the current speed.

Reactions: drock1091
Taking a sharp exit off the highway was scary yesterday.
the exit had yellow warning signs 30mph, my tesla kept on going highway speed and never noticed the warning speed limit sign.
i was waiting thinking that she’s gonna slow down, maybe late brake, when she didn’t!

after over a billion miles i would think the computer knows the signs by now!

Typically, those signs are for trucks hauling heavy loads, not luxury cars designed to handle cornering with a very low center of gravity.

You'd have lots of angry drivers behind you if the car always dropped 10~20 mph because of those signs

Typically, those signs are for trucks hauling heavy loads, not luxury cars designed to handle cornering with a very low center of gravity.

You'd have lots of angry drivers behind you if the car always dropped 10~20 mph because of those signs
Technically they apply to all cars but your average car can safely go significantly faster so no one pays much attention to them. I drive faster, but if I‘m going 60 and the ramp says 25 I know I still need to slow down significantly.

Technically they apply to all cars but your average car can safely go significantly faster so no one pays much attention to them. I drive faster, but if I‘m going 60 and the ramp says 25 I know I still need to slow down significantly.
I have auto pilot only, and it will auto slow down around tight curves and ignores the yellow recommended speed signs (similar to school zone time sensitive signs), once the car calculates it can accelerate again, it does...

Granted, I'm impatient and usually put my foot on the accelerator to get it to respond faster coming out of the turn.

Its better in many cases to accelerate through the turn (within reason), vs slam on the brake and crawl through it. Civil engineers banked turns properly for this reason

Also, I'm not aware of many 60 MPH roadways with an immediate 25 MPH recommended curve... whoever designed that road would have been fired, the state would have been sued for wrongful deaths, etc etc.

Last edited:
Places where they put an expressway through an urban area that have really short exit ramps that dump you into city streets.
Sounds like a very inefficient expressway during rush hour... it would cause a lot of backup for everyone using the expressway to decelerate prior to the immediate off ramp.

You should map them and forward them onto Tesla for focused FSD development

"MY FSD fails to read yellow speed sign on ramp?"​

No it does not fail. It should not read these signs nor adjust speed depending on them. They are not speed limit signs, they are advisory signs that basically say you "may need to slow down for this corner". You decide. FSD should treat the corner just as it treats any sharp bend and slow down appropriately based on the topography, not the advisory sign.

Here in Canada orange speed sign are use when there's construction on road, tesla's do not read those orange signs... My Honda Accord 2018 could read every speed signs it scans from the front camera...
Orange speed signs are not used in BC because people assumed they were more of a suggestion like the yellow advisory signs compared to a legitimate speed sign.

The Tesla is just more human then your Accord.

Here in Québec you have to follow those orange speed signs or else you get a speeding ticket.
So yeh different situations for different province I guess! It would be good if it could read every speed signs...
Ahh yes. Reading again I hope it was clear I was kidding around about the Accord. Not always obvious/clear via text.

BC construction speed zones are set using normal looking speed signs with a "Construction Speed Zone" tab below.