Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My head is going to explode. [random rant]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is basically a version of what I just sent to Tesla executive escalation.

On top of this, a set of referral rims I bought off another member here were never delivered, and now the same service folks (in Palo Alto) say "can't do it" when at least two of them said they could several months ago.

I've had my car just under two years, and it's continuously been in for service that whole time. The exceptions seem to be when a part is on order, or when I'm out of town for an extended period.

I love this car, don't get me wrong, but the quality of the original build and the quality of the service department to fix something while not breaking something else, or not resolve an issue is at a point where I'm incredibly angry at their quality and this car.

I won't take up space with the list of issues the car has been in for, as you can look up my VIN and see [note, this was to exec escilation], and early on there was a stretch where for five visits in a row they broke something or neglected to assemble the car correctly, forgetting to connect a harness or causing a terrible rattle.

This time around I booked an appointment in November. Was told I needed to wait for parts and had my appointment canceled, after waiting almost three months, and texting my service advisor regularly, I booked another appointment due to lack of response. Taking it in, I was told that I needed to wait for parts again (did they not order them for the November appointment?), but they would address 3 of the 7 issues I had. I'd need to wait for parts to be ordered for one, schedule a mobile appointment for one, and "wait until the summer" for the remainder. Upon receiving my car today, literally nothing was fixed. I ended up having to go back to drop my car off and get back in the rental car that I was using.

It's been in the shop so many times, it qualifies for the lemon law, but because my sales guy swapped me into what turned out to be a showroom car at the last minute of my purchase (to a 90D instead of a 75D), I had to sign a waiver that I wouldn't. I sure as hell wouldn't have signed that had anyone ever told me that by getting what I assumed was a car on a lot, not a showroom car that over time has become far too apparent that it was beaten on by people in the worst possible ways.

So while I love the acceleration and the technology, I cannot stand how crappy this thing is built, and what a terrible job the service people do EVERY SINGLE TIME.

So I'm back home, rental in the garage, and who knows when my parts will come in, if they'll fix the door handle, lose interior panel, seat that's falling apart, screen that's yellow, and dented from the last visit, and rattling suspension, or if I'm going to have to wait for another three months.

I drove BMWs from 1991 to 2017, and I think the difference is that every service visit there the SA was accountable. They needed to be rated and went out of their way to do their best because their job or bonus depended on it. Tesla techs and advisors just shrug, comp you a part or something and laugh at the situation when you're back in the driveway.

I don't even know how to make this right at this point, and if having this car constantly have problems and service never get things right, I have to listen endlessly about how much money I spent on it from my wife. So yay.

You had to sign a waiver saying you wouldn’t lemon the car?
Why would you sign that if you thought you were buying a regular “new” car?

If I walked into a BMW dealership and before buying a new car they said I had to sign a waiver saying I wouldn’t lemon the car, I’d have a few questions first.

You had to sign a waiver saying you wouldn’t lemon the car?
Why would you sign that if you thought you were buying a regular “new” car?

If I walked into a BMW dealership and before buying a new car they said I had to sign a waiver saying I wouldn’t lemon the car, I’d have a few questions first.

I wonder how enforceable something like that would be if the OP wanted to fight it.

I'd need to wait for parts to be ordered for one, schedule a mobile appointment for one, and "wait until the summer" for the remainder.

screen that's yellow

You are definitely going to have to wait a while for the screen issue to be resolved, because they don't currently have any that don't turn yellow. At least it is just cosmetic.

I really am curious of what kind of problems you have had with the car. Were they mostly cosmetic? Drive unit? Battery?

I am going to say it is almost a hit or miss. I've been an early adopter of Tesla since 2012 with the MS, then bought another MS...in '16 added X...lemoned it and got a new one. In my case of getting the car returned after close to 3 months time in total service due to the falcon wing doors getting stuck (requiring 2 tows and once I drove home with it partially open). In my other cars, warranty issues were fixed on time.

Definitely a frustrating experience but based on the issues that you raise applying your logic, I think we would all qualify for lemon law buy back.

The lemon law waiver if true sounds troublesome.

I didn't even think what that waiver would mean in the big picture. I never frequented these forums prior to delivery, and my only interaction with Teslas was through friends that had them and loved them. I've owned more cars in my life than any fiscally responsible person should ever, and never did I think a high-end car company would have a car with this many issues.

I've never had battery or drivetrain issues with the car, but I've had probably every other part need to be swapped out or repaired. No exaggeration.

The overview was that after the delivery of my car, about 24 things were wrong with it that ranged from inside panels falling off and body damage to AC not flowing correctly, a seat belt not engaging successfully, sunroof malfunctioning, and a door handle not working. I won't ever deny that I also am OCD about rattles, and man there were a lot of them.

After that first visit, it was a comedy of issues caused by the service center. "We had to replace the wood paneling to address the clips not engaging on this piece." led to discovering that when they "hit" it into the clips, they left dents in a specific pattern all across the dash panels (from a ring? who knows.) Go to get the panels replaced, the grill behind the dash fell through, go to get that addressed, and they failed to reconnect the cruise control harness, so AP and CC failed. Go to get them to fix that, and that main dash cover was bent from being taken off so much. Get the car back from that and discover it had been run into something requiring the bumper to be replaced. Seriously comical errors that are flat-out unacceptable.

I'd totally have gone to a different SC, but the advisors in Palo Alto have always been second to none, the issues for the longest stretch were ones they caused thus needed to fix, and my blame was squarely with the back of shop. I'll likely go elsewhere from here on out because the snapping point for me was more of the same, and my favorite people are too busy with the influx of new cars and having to train a new guard that I don't even get to enjoy those interactions with them.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
For whatever it's worth, until this last visit, I've been incredibly calm about all this with the folks at the service center. I figured this was all part of the Tesla experience, for better or worse. This time around, my patience is flat-out gone, the good folks I like there are all scattered dealing with other crazy stuff, and the guy I'm dealing with this time isn't the same, plus getting my car home to discover they hadn't actually fixed the three (of seven) things they claimed to have fixed was just too much. Note, the car is still in the service center. My text message from yesterday basically said my current advisor is sick, so I need to wait until he's back to pick up my car. Seriously? No one else can hand me a key and review the paperwork? He didn't the first time around, now I have to wait for him to get well because he didn't inspect it properly before handing it off last time?

On top of this, a set of referral rims I bought off another member here were never delivered, and now the same service folks (in Palo Alto) say "can't do it" when at least two of them said they could several months ago.

I've had my car just under two years, and it's continuously been in for service that whole time. The exceptions seem to be when a part is on order, or when I'm out of town for an extended period.

I love this car, don't get me wrong, but the quality of the original build and the quality of the service department to fix something while not breaking something else, or not resolve an issue is at a point where I'm incredibly angry at their quality and this car.

I won't take up space with the list of issues the car has been in for, as you can look up my VIN and see [note, this was to exec escilation], and early on there was a stretch where for five visits in a row they broke something or neglected to assemble the car correctly, forgetting to connect a harness or causing a terrible rattle.

This time around I booked an appointment in November. Was told I needed to wait for parts and had my appointment canceled, after waiting almost three months, and texting my service advisor regularly, I booked another appointment due to lack of response. Taking it in, I was told that I needed to wait for parts again (did they not order them for the November appointment?), but they would address 3 of the 7 issues I had. I'd need to wait for parts to be ordered for one, schedule a mobile appointment for one, and "wait until the summer" for the remainder. Upon receiving my car today, literally nothing was fixed. I ended up having to go back to drop my car off and get back in the rental car that I was using.

It's been in the shop so many times, it qualifies for the lemon law, but because my sales guy swapped me into what turned out to be a showroom car at the last minute of my purchase (to a 90D instead of a 75D), I had to sign a waiver that I wouldn't. I sure as hell wouldn't have signed that had anyone ever told me that by getting what I assumed was a car on a lot, not a showroom car that over time has become far too apparent that it was beaten on by people in the worst possible ways.

So while I love the acceleration and the technology, I cannot stand how crappy this thing is built, and what a terrible job the service people do EVERY SINGLE TIME.

So I'm back home, rental in the garage, and who knows when my parts will come in, if they'll fix the door handle, lose interior panel, seat that's falling apart, screen that's yellow, and dented from the last visit, and rattling suspension, or if I'm going to have to wait for another three months.

I drove BMWs from 1991 to 2017, and I think the difference is that every service visit there the SA was accountable. They needed to be rated and went out of their way to do their best because their job or bonus depended on it. Tesla techs and advisors just shrug, comp you a part or something and laugh at the situation when you're back in the driveway.

I don't even know how to make this right at this point, and if having this car constantly have problems and service never get things right, I have to listen endlessly about how much money I spent on it from my wife. So yay.

Sorry to hear about you terrible customer service journey with Tesla. Keep the faith and escalate the issue to senior management.

Use the escalation email tool available on your MyTesla account to push for resolution and let us know how things turn out. :cool:

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
I'd totally have gone to a different SC, but the advisors in Palo Alto have always been second to none, the issues for the longest stretch were ones they caused thus needed to fix, and my blame was squarely with the back of shop. I'll likely go elsewhere from here on out because the snapping point for me was more of the same, and my favorite people are too busy with the influx of new cars and having to train a new guard that I don't even get to enjoy those interactions with them.

Please let us know if you find a service center you are happy with. I had a terrible time at the Santa Clara location and in talking with a few other customers was told to drive the extra distance to the Palo Alto location. The service advisors have been great but the technicians doing the work there have been terrible. For every item them seem to fix they make 2 or 3 new problems...

Reactions: arlorose
Please let us know if you find a service center you are happy with. I had a terrible time at the Santa Clara location and in talking with a few other customers was told to drive the extra distance to the Palo Alto location. The service advisors have been great but the technicians doing the work there have been terrible. For every item them seem to fix they make 2 or 3 new problems...
Some of the issues you mentioned are known issues and happen from time to time on a few of the cars.

Seems like you got more than your fair share of them, however.

Welcome to the Bay Area... the land of high prices with low quality repairs and customer service :cool:

I've found the Palo Alto service center to be quite good. Not fast sometimes, but they've managed to properly fix my Model S's and Model 3 eventually without causing new problems. Perhaps I'm just lucky. I didn't feel the Sunnyvale or Santa Clara locations had quite the same high standards, but that depends entirely on who the service center manager is, I think. Also, nowadays Palo Alto is running two shifts so they can get things done faster sometimes. I don't know if the others are doing that.

ooof, sorry this has been such a troublesome experience for you.

So they're initiating a buy-back. That's kinda great. Doing it by the book, which given how often it's been in for warranty work shouldn't be an issue.

I love this car minus the non-stop troublesome bits, so I'm assuming I'll just order another one if this all goes through. I do wonder, though, if I'm just asking for trouble being an OCD perfectionist with this car.

I wonder if leasing would make this less of a worry.