Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Insurance Company Thinks My Y is a Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting delivery on Tuesday of a LR AWD that is incorrectly identified as a performance model in the VIN. Has anyone had luck getting Tesla to correct their mistake? 5YJYGDEF7LF0057xx

I have USAA insurance and with teenagers in the house, the insurance is expensive. I just did an online request with Tesla to fix this. Will probably have to refuse delivery if they cannot figure this out.

Last edited:
Someone from Tesla called to say delivery would push a couple days, something about COVID trucking delays. I asked about the VIN being performance and he was going to research it. He sent the Moroney sticker and it is not a performance model according to that. Should I cancel and wait for them to get their act together?

My MVPA showed up on my account the other day for my LR AWD MY (no contact from Tesla yet), and my VIN is 5YJYGDEE8LF0064xx, So it's showing standard

Interesting...so maybe the LR AWDs from 6xxx have the correct identifier?

Would be interesting if there are any physical differences between LR AWDs with the Performance VIN designation and those without it.

@Reeler: OP here. I recommend you take delivery and sort out the insurance with USAA. I don't think you can get Tesla to change your VIN (too much documentation involved) but you CAN get USAA to recognize the Perf vs the non-Perf, despite the VIN issue. I've been a USAA member for 59 years and have found them always to be square-shooters.

By the way, I've been going over my Y (while driving and while it was being detailed) and have not found any problems worth complaining about to the Service Center.

Vistan

Reactions: Matsayz and Reeler
OP here. I recommend you take delivery and sort out the insurance with USAA. I don't think you can get Tesla to change your VIN (too much documentation involved) but you CAN get USAA to recognize the Perf vs the non-Perf, despite the VIN issue. I've been a USAA member for 59 years and have found them always to be square-shooters.

It sounds like you were successful getting USAA to treat it as a LR AWD vs. a Performance? That's good news.

I have had USAA insurance on my cars for 51 years. Each time I have been tempted to change carriers the new carrier could not beat USAA rates. Several companies have refused to give me a quote if I was under USAA saying they could not match the rates. When considering the rates one must remember USAA policy holders are share holders and get annual dividends, often hundreds of dollars. I have had two rate reductions during the Covid pandemic initiated by USAA due to fewer miles being driven.

I also have house insurance with USAA and live in Florida. Not questioning that others may have other experience but just maybe they are taking no new home policies in my state.

• Helpful
Reactions: gundarx