Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My iPhone audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When your phone is connected to another device using Bluetooth, the Bluetooth settings on your phone should allow you to pick where you want the audio to go. Or you can just disconnect your phone from the car when you want to listen on your phone.

When your phone is connected to another device using Bluetooth, the Bluetooth settings on your phone should allow you to pick where you want the audio to go.
Can you explain this? I'm not talking about when I'm talking to someone on the phone. If I play an app like youtube, I see the picture but no audio on my iphone.
See this Apple Support article for instructions: Set up and use Bluetooth accessories on iPhone. Note that when you switch the audio from the car to the phone, it will stay there even for phone calls unless you change it back (or until you disconnect and reconnect).
So basically, I need to unpair with Tesla in order for me to play youtube on my phone and hear the sound. This is inconvenient.

Can you explain this? I'm not talking about when I'm talking to someone on the phone. If I play an app like youtube, I see the picture but no audio on my iphone.

So basically, I need to unpair with Tesla in order for me to play youtube on my phone and hear the sound. This is inconvenient.
Or you do a pull down from the top right corner of the screen (from home page) and select your iPhone as the audio output instead of the car.

Or you do a pull down from the top right corner of the screen (from home page) and select your iPhone as the audio output instead of the car.
This is the easiest way to switch the audio output from my iPhone that I've found to be able to watch videos.

Or, from the audio Source menu in the car, switch to Bluetooth (and be sure your iPhone is the selected source) so that the audio from your iPhone plays through the car's speakers.

2023 Y AWD Standard

If my iphone is sync'd with my car, I can't play the audio on my phone. For example, if I play youtube on my phone, no audio comes out even when I'm parked.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
as soon as you get in the Y, touch the blue tooth symbol on the Y screen, do you see your iphone showing connected?
i have 3 Ts and all with the current 2024.2.7 code, my iphone immediately connects to BT in the M3s, with this code, takes my MY awhile to connect BT
for the Y, i go to the BT app and select add phone then connect to the iphone in the list, pain, but it works
something is different with 2.7 across these two types of vehicles, hope they fix soon

That's literally your choice to route the audio output to the car. The car and the phone can't predict which audio sources to play through the phone and which through the bluetooth protocol.

You have these choices:
-use the phone as car key, but do not establish bluetooth-audio connection. all the audio will always go through your phone
-use the phone with bluetooth-audio connection. the sound will play through the car speaker WHEN you select the bluetooth mode in the car (instead of radio, usb, native streaming app, etc)