Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor My journey to making a custom sunglass holder for my M3P and Model Y!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I'm Doug, a long-time Tesla enthusiast and mechanical engineer who enjoys creating things. Throughout my adult life, I've designed engines and even electric skateboards. Also, I am a new vendor on TMC as of today (but I guess my vendor tag is not live yet?)

I like to challenge myself and make something new to customize my Model 3. I sought a bit of extra storage and a dedicated space for my sunglasses to prevent scratches. While there are similar solutions available, I found them either too bulky, diverging from Tesla's design language, or poorly crafted.

Moreover, I wanted to engage with the Tesla community, gather feedback, and provide a behind-the-scenes look at the process of creating a product from scratch, including insights into mass production.

In the first photo, you can see it both open and closed. I did not want to take away from the minimalist approach of the interior.

IMG_9266.jpg

In the 2nd, this is my first prototype but it had a lot of parts (ball detect to open and close the lid, a soft close hinge, and a bar to latch the sunglass holder to the screen). But this was too complicated so I went back to the drawing board.

IMG_8211.jpg

In the 3rd, I created a whole lot of prototypes that I used to get the fitment just right and without any rattle, but also reduce part count, simplified manufacturing, and a better open and closing experience. This took me about 6 months and the hardest part was getting the fitment perfect. My 3D scanner is really bad and it’s so hard to get a scanner behind the screen.

IMG_8209 (1).jpg

In the 4th and 5th, I said screw it and got a shop to make a mold so I could mold the part. This was not cheap but I really wanted to get the part strength and fitment just perfect. Even SLS or SLA was not strong enough and felt flimsy.

0f7e3d5a81dd8133cb7d08fd79b51e64 (1).jpg

67322105207d34bbe36759d5a6a54fd7 (1).jpg

In the video, you can see I got the fitment just right. I am so excited about it.

I will be sharing more progress on the sunglass holder and some other behind the scenes things!

Update 3/8/24:

Doug

Last edited:
The sunglass holder is a manufactured from ABS, which is a very common and durable plastic. In particular, we use plastic injection molding, which is basically injecting molten hot plastic into a steel mold at very high pressure. Pretty much anything that is plastic is made using plastic injection molding. I'll elaborate on that in a later post. The mold is a very elaborate thing and usually weights thousands of pounds just to make something small like the sunglass holder.

The mold, since it is very big, heavy, and has a lot of details, well, it cost me $10,000. But it wasn't always like that, it was way more expensive in the beginning. I had to design and redesign to get the cost down and also do... a lot of begging. I’m not beneath begging lol. On the third design (see the image marked "3" and count from the very top left), I had a lot of aspirations of adding a really cool slow open hinge and a button you could press so it would open by itself, but the mold and all the parts would have cost me about one Entry level Cybertruck. It took me 6 months to continually redo the design to make the mold cheaper. Then they finally quoted me $10,000 or something. The project almost didn't happen as I felt like I kept spinning my wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Not out of the box, but if there is a will there is a way.

Would you be ok with a black SLA printed (No layer lines and would look plastic injection molded) adapter? I think this definitely possible.

I would make an adapter that can use those two bolts behind the screen. This adapter would mimic the portion of the screen that was there to allow the sunglass holder to latch to it.

Would you be interested? 0 out of 5, 5 being the most interested, how interested are you in me creating an adapter?

Who else would be interested?

Not out of the box, but if there is a will there is a way.

Would you be ok with a black SLA printed (No layer lines and would look plastic injection molded) adapter? I think this definitely possible.

I would make an adapter that can use those two bolts behind the screen. This adapter would mimic the portion of the screen that was there to allow the sunglass holder to latch to it.

Would you be interested? 0 out of 5, 5 being the most interested, how interested are you in me creating an adapter?

Who else would be interested?
I would be 4/5 interested if it's the same quality and performance as the general release item.

Reactions: DougDC
I woke up to this huge shipment today outside of my apartment. I hope my landlord doesn't get angry. Accidentally sent it to my apartment rather than my office. D'oh. This is going to be interesting fitting it all in a Model 3

@dcantato @Mercimek @davidg545

The $34.99 price will only be valid till Tuesday at midnight. Otherwise, the price will be going up!
The shipping killed the deal for me unfortunately. The product is also a little smaller than I would've hoped so for the total shipping cost, just didnt make sense to me.

I have the American entrepreneur-made swivel mount, known as the Atlas. If you're not familiar with it, check out Tech Forum on YouTube.

I would be happy to try out your holder, the price and shipping cost are not the most important thing to me, if you think it would work with the Atlas swivel mount.

Hello everyone, I'm Doug, a long-time Tesla enthusiast and mechanical engineer who enjoys creating things. Throughout my adult life, I've designed engines and even electric skateboards. Also, I am a new vendor on TMC as of today (but I guess my vendor tag is not live yet?)

I like to challenge myself and make something new to customize my Model 3. I sought a bit of extra storage and a dedicated space for my sunglasses to prevent scratches. While there are similar solutions available, I found them either too bulky, diverging from Tesla's design language, or poorly crafted.

Moreover, I wanted to engage with the Tesla community, gather feedback, and provide a behind-the-scenes look at the process of creating a product from scratch, including insights into mass production.

In the first photo, you can see it both open and closed. I did not want to take away from the minimalist approach of the interior.

View attachment 1020344

In the 2nd, this is my first prototype but it had a lot of parts (ball detect to open and close the lid, a soft close hinge, and a bar to latch the sunglass holder to the screen). But this was too complicated so I went back to the drawing board.

View attachment 1020345

In the 3rd, I created a whole lot of prototypes that I used to get the fitment just right and without any rattle, but also reduce part count, simplified manufacturing, and a better open and closing experience. This took me about 6 months and the hardest part was getting the fitment perfect. My 3D scanner is really bad and it’s so hard to get a scanner behind the screen.

View attachment 1020346

In the 4th and 5th, I said screw it and got a shop to make a mold so I could mold the part. This was not cheap but I really wanted to get the part strength and fitment just perfect. Even SLS or SLA was not strong enough and felt flimsy.

View attachment 1020347

View attachment 1020348

In the video, you can see I got the fitment just right. I am so excited about it.

I will be sharing more progress on the sunglass holder and some other behind the scenes things!

Doug
My compliments! You’re a very skilled fabricator as well as a great technical writer.

Reactions: DougDC
Just received my Sunglasses holder. Great quality and fit; looks OEM! Available now on Amazon too.
Amazing! Can you kindly post your photos and a little review? If you make a review post on this forum with pictures and your experience (what you like about it, what your experience was like, etc.), then I will give you a $10 refund

Last edited:
My compliments! You’re a very skilled fabricator as well as a great technical writer.
Thank you so much! It's a passion of mine and I love educating on how people can make their own as well.
I have the American entrepreneur-made swivel mount, known as the Atlas. If you're not familiar with it, check out Tech Forum on YouTube.

I would be happy to try out your holder, the price and shipping cost are not the most important thing to me, if you think it would work with the Atlas swivel mount.
I will have to look into this. It is difficult because I don't have the swivel and its super expensive and this kind of custom 1:1 work is very costly.

How many other people? If you can get 20 other people interested, then I can make it. It will be very time consuming for me.