Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor My journey to making a custom sunglass holder for my M3P and Model Y!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I'm Doug, a long-time Tesla enthusiast and mechanical engineer who enjoys creating things. Throughout my adult life, I've designed engines and even electric skateboards. Also, I am a new vendor on TMC as of today (but I guess my vendor tag is not live yet?)

I like to challenge myself and make something new to customize my Model 3. I sought a bit of extra storage and a dedicated space for my sunglasses to prevent scratches. While there are similar solutions available, I found them either too bulky, diverging from Tesla's design language, or poorly crafted.

Moreover, I wanted to engage with the Tesla community, gather feedback, and provide a behind-the-scenes look at the process of creating a product from scratch, including insights into mass production.

In the first photo, you can see it both open and closed. I did not want to take away from the minimalist approach of the interior.

IMG_9266.jpg

In the 2nd, this is my first prototype but it had a lot of parts (ball detect to open and close the lid, a soft close hinge, and a bar to latch the sunglass holder to the screen). But this was too complicated so I went back to the drawing board.

IMG_8211.jpg

In the 3rd, I created a whole lot of prototypes that I used to get the fitment just right and without any rattle, but also reduce part count, simplified manufacturing, and a better open and closing experience. This took me about 6 months and the hardest part was getting the fitment perfect. My 3D scanner is really bad and it’s so hard to get a scanner behind the screen.

IMG_8209 (1).jpg

In the 4th and 5th, I said screw it and got a shop to make a mold so I could mold the part. This was not cheap but I really wanted to get the part strength and fitment just perfect. Even SLS or SLA was not strong enough and felt flimsy.

0f7e3d5a81dd8133cb7d08fd79b51e64 (1).jpg

67322105207d34bbe36759d5a6a54fd7 (1).jpg

In the video, you can see I got the fitment just right. I am so excited about it.

I will be sharing more progress on the sunglass holder and some other behind the scenes things!

Update 3/8/24:

Doug

Last edited:
This is very cool. The amount of prototypes is so impressive!
Thank you. The hardest part was reducing the tooling cost. Initially, the tooling was as much as a Cyber truck. I was trying to do a soft close hinge and a button that would unveil the sunglass holder, but this had too many parts and the price would have been very high. I didn't know or think anyone would want to spend $70+ for that and also I can't afford tooling that expensive.

DockCharged Update:

Here is a little vlog that I just created.

TLDR: Our main product is a charger designed for apartment, condo, and old home EV owners that don't have access to Level 2 charging. We are pouring all our money into it to bring it to market - all the sunglass holder revenue goes there.

Flash Sale: Enter "St.patty" at checkout (www.DockCharged.com) for 20% off any of my products. Sale ends on Sunday at Midnight. All profits go directly back into product development

Doug,

I just received your product today, and WOW, this thing is excellent. I have tried several different holders for my sunglasses, but this one is the best and most hidden so far. Thanks for taking the time and energy to develop this!

Jim

Reactions: DougDC
Doug,

I just received your product today, and WOW, this thing is excellent. I have tried several different holders for my sunglasses, but this one is the best and most hidden so far. Thanks for taking the time and energy to develop this!

Jim
This makes me so happy to hear. I really appreciate the compliment. You seriously made my day. I almost quit on this project and I’m just glad it made you happy.

Just got it delivered by Amazon. 👍
Took just a second to snap into place. Looks good.
Max
Amazing! What can I do to get a review? This would help me immensely with Amazon recognizing the product and adding validity. I don't pay myself and all funds go directly back into R&D for other products. I would really appreciate a review and please let me know if I can do anything for you.

I finally ordered on Amazon despite uncertainties with the tilt/swivel Atlas mount. It almost works as-is with my version of that mount. If I peel away the velcro tabs of the fabric wrap cover behind the screen, which are basically placed where the top ears of the sunglasses holder go, it's the right position but the snap action is way too soft and some modification would be required.

But before I do that, I'm going to take it with me next week on a trip to visit my son. He has the latest version of the Atlas Plus mount, in which the fabric cover was replaced by a hard plastic assembly to shield the mount hardware. If this turns out to be more compatible or more straightforward to modify, I can purchase the newer plastic cover assembly as an upgrade from Tech Forum and proceed from there.

I will let you know how this works out, but no promises regarding timeline.

I finally ordered on Amazon despite uncertainties with the tilt/swivel Atlas mount. It almost works as-is with my version of that mount. If I peel away the velcro tabs of the fabric wrap cover behind the screen, which are basically placed where the top ears of the sunglasses holder go, it's the right position but the snap action is way too soft and some modification would be required.

But before I do that, I'm going to take it with me next week on a trip to visit my son. He has the latest version of the Atlas Plus mount, in which the fabric cover was replaced by a hard plastic assembly to shield the mount hardware. If this turns out to be more compatible or more straightforward to modify, I can purchase the newer plastic cover assembly as an upgrade from Tech Forum and proceed from there.

I will let you know how this works out, but no promises regarding timeline.
I will get a swivel mount and test it out.

I'm getting a lot of reviews on the sunglass holder on Amazon. It is so fulfilling to read through all the 5 star reviews. This is so great. So worth all the pain in the ass effort. I almost quit so many times and just so glad it provides value to people
1712042846328.png

Reactions: JHCCAZ