Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My M3 LR AWD Half dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I need help! my M3 is half dead, Drivers side is unresponsive, can not unlock, roll down windows on that side, can not open the frunk, so hard reset is out of the question.

Right doors and windows working properly, will not respond to pressing both wheel buttons.
Unable to update new software as it fails! tried many time and fails!
Will not charge at all! Current range is still at 206 miles.
New 12v litihum battery was installed 3 months ago.
Had no issues until now.
Spoke to support and they say that cannot help since I'm out here on Guam. First I person i spoke to was able to view logs, suggested to try another charger, tried another charger and same thing, will not charge.
I mentioned that the charger was connected to the car for 5 days as I hardly drive it. was last working properly then, but one morning the drivers side was unresponsive. Charging port cover is also no responding.
Flashing the lights via app works, honk works as well, vent work but only right side(passenger).
no response climate on app and screen.

Any feed back will be appreciated.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom
I had a similar issue with my 2018 Model 3 MR, was working fine for a couple of weeks after I picked it up, but it randomly died in my garage overnight. The symptoms aren't exactly the same, but it could be due to differences in model years. For me, none of the doors would open, but some app functions worked (flash, honk). I used an external 12V power source to open the frunk, car's 12V battery seemed fine. Tesla Roadside service sent someone to help, they used a small airbag on the driver's side window and long stick to reach inside and pull the door release, which opened the door (window dropped as normal since the car had 12V power. Screen would not turn on, unless the passenger side door was left open. Car was towed to a service center.

The diagnosis was this: "... sourced a poor connection to left vehicle controller module. Resecured module and verified proper operation..." So it sounds like they just tightened up a loose connection. So if you are comfortable with it, that would probably be the first thing to try before replacing the left module. They called it "Module - Body Controller - LH". Hope that helps...

there seem to be an charging issue as well, once I insert the charger, screen indicates that charging has stopped, would that be associated with the VC left or front?
any inputs will be appreciated.
Thanks!

there seem to be an charging issue as well, once I insert the charger, screen indicates that charging has stopped, would that be associated with the VC left or front?
any inputs will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Note someone who had a similar problem found it had to do with a poor connection at the coolant pump connector.
message saying *charging stopped*

Note also the Tesla service manual can be found here (although keep in mind it may not be up to date or may not exactly match your specific car, so don't assume it's 100% correct and take care):
Fix Your Tesla - Tesla Model 3 service manual.

Note someone who had a similar problem found it had to do with a poor connection at the coolant pump connector.
message saying *charging stopped*

Note also the Tesla service manual can be found here (although keep in mind it may not be up to date or may not exactly match your specific car, so don't assume it's 100% correct and take care):
Fix Your Tesla - Tesla Model 3 service manual.
-Checked the Coolant pump connector...no issues with it.
-Also checked the Front module body connectors, all seem good with no burnt indications.
-Next thing to check is the front left body module, but I need to get the Driver's door opened via emergency lever, but worried the glass will not roll down, anybody knows another way to get the door opened?

* noticed that the outlet where the charge was plugged into sorta melted, would have that caused the issue i am faced with? circuit did not trip!
so the following are the problems I have noticed so far:
- Driver side doors will not unlock/open both on app as well
- Driver side windows will not roll down
- screen operational
- AC on the screen appears to be running but no air blowing thru the vents
- can not open the frunk via app or screen, accessed the frunk with 12 volt from hitch
- Passenger side door are functional, windows as well, foot well lights turning on as well(right)
- Trunk opens via app and screen
- can not charge the car with both 110V and 220V mobile chargers: once charger is inserted, "charging stopped" appears on screen.

continuation:
- charging port cover and only be open or closed manually
- software always failing
- tried hard re-set many times with no success
- light flashes and horn yonks via app
- lights turn on via screen

Done the following;
hard reset
check for loose/burnt connector on front body controller
factory reset
12v battery shows >14 volts
did a voltage test on the charging port and all normal

next step is to check the VC left for any connector issues, but need to figure out a way to get the door open with our damaging the trim

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you!