Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 had a stroke it seems like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you hear and read all these horror stories of cars breaking down out of the blue and shrug them off. Today, this happened to us.
I was driving back into our neighborhood as usual and during the slow left turn, all warning lights came on, warnings about Autosteer not available and others came up in quick succession. It reduced its speed significantly and warned me it would shut down shortly.

We made it right into our driveway before that happened and basically the entire left side of the display (where the gear selector is) is showing blank. I was not able to put the car into park and it was about to roll off the driveway when I lifted the foot off the brake. We secured it with a 2x2, but headlights remained on, passenger side door, windows and tail lights were completely dead. After closing the door it locked itself.

It eventually turned the headlights off and unlocked again. We initiated roadside assistance who troubleshooted and eventually sent a tow truck. The tow truck couldn't tow it because by now somehow the parking brake engaged, but they didn't bring a dolly, so that will happen tomorrow morning.

It looks like the steering wheel controls, the card readers, the right side controls are all dead. I was able to turn the entertainment system off and restart it through the on-screen menu, but that didn't help much. The problem is probably rooted much deeper. The car doesn't even have 3k miles on it and got delivered May this year!

Anyway, just wanted to share and will keep posting updates, but the confidence of taking this car on a trip is gone, at least for the time being.
Sorry about the blurry picture, it got dark now.

Attachments

• IMG_4377 Large.jpeg
    IMG_4377 Large.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 1,213
This happened to my 2019 SR+ a few months ago. It freaked me out and definitely killed my confidence in the car that had been rock solid for 3 years. After finally rebooting it, it was drivable. Roadside checked the logs but couldnt' determine anything wrong with it. It was a brutally hot day and the car(black) was heat soaking in full sun for a few hrs. 1 month later, my 8 month old 12v battery died. The service center replaced that and said it was probably the cause of the earlier failure but nothing conclusive. I don't know if your battery is the new Li Ion battery or not, but I'd venture to say it's 12v battery related. Please keep us updated on what the cause/fix is and good luck.

Here are better photos. The night mode made them blurry last night. Car still hasn’t been able to fall asleep since last night it looks like.

Attachments

• 595E9877-BCB4-44EE-88F5-552C24059369.jpeg
    595E9877-BCB4-44EE-88F5-552C24059369.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 445
  • 8461172E-3DEE-4F0C-AC85-E6C0FB945F9F.jpeg
    8461172E-3DEE-4F0C-AC85-E6C0FB945F9F.jpeg
    453 KB · Views: 380
  • 88376414-4A61-42D6-93DF-82156115F685.jpeg
    88376414-4A61-42D6-93DF-82156115F685.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 428
Reactions: phishphan
Anyway, just wanted to share and will keep posting updates, but the confidence of taking this car on a trip is gone, at least for the time being.

I get that this is annoying, however, this statement makes it sound like you have never in your life had something like this happen to you in any other car. As someone who was only able to afford "new, fancy cars" later in life, I have had this happen previously in other cars a few times.

I have also had it happen a couple times in a brand new BMW X5 that we leased.

Stuff happens. If you feel "I cant drive this car on a trip" then its time for you to get rid of the car and get one you feel like you can do that with (however it is entirely possible that it also could break down on said trip).

I get that this is annoying, however, this statement makes it sound like you have never in your life had something like this happen to you in any other car. As someone who was only able to afford "new, fancy cars" later in life, I have had this happen previously in other cars a few times.

I have also had it happen a couple times in a brand new BMW X5 that we leased.

Stuff happens. If you feel "I cant drive this car on a trip" then its time for you to get rid of the car and get one you feel like you can do that with (however it is entirely possible that it also could break down on said trip).
Well first of all, I don't know why we need to switch to this level of discourse here, particularly from a moderator. I definitely do not appreciate your sentiment about the "new fancy car". I did not bash Tesla in my post, I simply stated the situation and also think that for a car that isn't even half a year old, such a catastrophic failure should not happen. No matter what brand.

The reason for my statement is not that I have not have experienced a broken car before, but rather from the fact that most every other car has a manual emergency brake I can use to secure the car. Luckily the car broke down in my driveway and I had something to jam behind the wheels so it wouldn't just roll away or keep me trapped in it pressing the brakes.

If this had happened anywhere else I would have been screwed. And luckily it was just me and my wife and not my young kid in the midst of 100 degree weather out here.

I've enjoyed my time in this forum so far, but comments like yours are just not necessary. Instead of attacking me you could have shown a tiny bit of empathy regarding the situation.

Well first of all, I don't know why we need to switch to this level of discourse here, particularly from a moderator. I definitely do not appreciate your sentiment about the "new fancy car". I did not bash Tesla in my post, I simply stated the situation and also think that for a car that isn't even half a year old, such a catastrophic failure should not happen. No matter what brand.

The reason for my statement is not that I have not have experienced a broken car before, but rather from the fact that most every other car has a manual emergency brake I can use to secure the car. Luckily the car broke down in my driveway and I had something to jam behind the wheels so it wouldn't just roll away or keep me trapped in it pressing the brakes.

If this had happened anywhere else I would have been screwed. And luckily it was just me and my wife and not my young kid in the midst of 100 degree weather out here.

I've enjoyed my time in this forum so far, but comments like yours are just not necessary. Instead of attacking me you could have shown a tiny bit of empathy regarding the situation.

There was no attack here,

There was a comment on your statement that you now cant take this car on a road trip.

My comment also was not moderation as there is no "moderator note" in it, and my signature states that any comments I make that dont have that are not noted as specific moderator notes are not moderator notes.

My new fancy car comment was directed at myself, if you read it, you can see that I stated that I was not able to afford new fancy cars until later in life, so have had cars break down on me before, both new ones and old.

The entirety of my comment was, this could happen in any car if you cant take this car on a road trip because of this, you should get something that inspires more confidence for you, but it wont change the fact that this could happen in that car as well, as it has happened to me in both new and old cars.

Well, back to topic to keep others informed. Car is at the service center and they say it might just be a drained / dead 12V battery. There are other cars with flat tires in front of me in the queue, but they're hopeful I might have it back by tomorrow. So far no loaner, since they estimate it to be less than three days. Bummer I needed a second car tomorrow.

Well, back to topic to keep others informed. Car is at the service center and they say it might just be a drained / dead 12V battery. There are other cars with flat tires in front of me in the queue, but they're hopeful I might have it back by tomorrow. So far no loaner, since they estimate it to be less than three days. Bummer I needed a second car tomorrow.
I forgot to add earlier that I couldn't get my car into Park either. Roadside service said if it ever happens again that I should either open the door or lift my but off the seat and the car will automatically go into Park. I think I knew about opening the door trick but was kind of freaking out about the car and couldn't think straight.

I forgot to add earlier that I couldn't get my car into Park either. Roadside service said if it ever happens again that I should either open the door or lift my but off the seat and the car will automatically go into Park. I think I knew about opening the door trick but was kind of freaking out about the car and couldn't think straight.
Good information. Completely understand the stress level, but nice to know!

What year is your model 3? It was a bit more common for this to happen with model 3s that are 2-3 years old ("this" meaning dead 12v battery), but I have also seen some reports of people with newer cars with the new lithium battery having it die somewhat suddenly.

Im just curious if this is the older regular 12v or a new lithium one. It does sound like it could be 12v battery so I hope its that.

What year is your model 3?

Im just curious if this is the older regular 12v or a new lithium one. It does sound like it could be 12v battery so I hope its that.
I believe the OP said about 6 months old, so I am guessing a new lithium 12v. The thing about the Li batteries (at least smaller ones…flashlights, etc) is they are great until they go, but when they go, there is almost no warning.

What I find interesting is that the display was working the next morning and I would expect at 12v issue to have not seen that.

Car still at the service center, now they’re not sure if it’ll be ready today. They made it sound they just wanted to swap the 12V battery but now they’re waiting on parts. Could be Monday they’re saying.
Brings up the loaner question again. Not even Uber credits received so far. Not everyone has a second car and can manage bringing kids to school and so on. That really is leaving a sour taste so far.

I haven’t had such a failure with other new cars, but every time they had even be serviced I got a loaner car for just the day.

There was no attack here,

There was a comment on your statement that you now cant take this car on a road trip.

My comment also was not moderation as there is no "moderator note" in it, and my signature states that any comments I make that dont have that are not noted as specific moderator notes are not moderator notes.

My new fancy car comment was directed at myself, if you read it, you can see that I stated that I was not able to afford new fancy cars until later in life, so have had cars break down on me before, both new ones and old.

The entirety of my comment was, this could happen in any car if you cant take this car on a road trip because of this, you should get something that inspires more confidence for you, but it wont change the fact that this could happen in that car as well, as it has happened to me in both new and old cars.
Sorry, but this is indeed the tone of a number of your posts. They are off-putting and can be easily construed as rude. I'm glad to see the OP pushed back. C'mon, there is no need to come at people like this! Most people don't care for it too much. FWIW. 😎