Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model 3 hit a deer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CB64AE9C-3D18-4B4C-B9E4-12A01251572A.jpeg 68A576AF-2B33-4CD5-BDE4-EEF59BBD222E.jpeg CB64AE9C-3D18-4B4C-B9E4-12A01251572A.jpeg 68A576AF-2B33-4CD5-BDE4-EEF59BBD222E.jpeg Dude!! Sorry to hear that!

I just hit a deer last week driving from San Diego to Julian.

Broke my drivers side headlight, small dent in hood, bumper paint fractures. 7k damage. Body shop said 3 weeks.

GL with your repair!

Update to the story. I got my car back from the Richmond, VA body shop just last Monday. What a saga. I have to say, it was equal parts the body shop and TESLA. The body shop didn't do great assessments, I guess and they kept having to order more parts....which TESLA was slow to ship. I am guessing the shop, while TESLA certified, is still learning M3.

I picked it up and drove it. There was a software update notice, but I figured I would get that done on wifi at home. Then I drove a couple of miles and it's beeping at me about a safety restraint. Pull over and call TESLA. They wisely tell me to go right back to the shop; TESLA support at Richmond SC could see which front ultrasonic sensor was reporting the error. It was one that was replaced.

I go back to shop. The shop tech didn't buy the diagnosis. He says it will be fine once software updates. I say fine, we'll update right now. Call TESLA and they push 2019.5.15 right then. Takes 25 mins, but installs and updates. Guess what, sensor still throwing an error.

Shop tech says he'll take a look. 1 hour later, he sheepishly admits he didn't install it correctly. Much friendlier now. Mind you, I was cool about the whole thing as I just wanted it fixed. Still, I give him props for admitting he was wrong. Man up!

Anyhoo, I got the car back for a great week of weather here in VA and all is right with the cosmos again. TESLA did give me a rental for the last week and a half of repairs. I probably could/should have pressed for that sooner, but I have a backup vehicle at the moment. They also gave me four more months of free supercharging on top of the referral one.

Main lesson is that you have to be a squeaky wheel. I think the best help came from local TESLA rep in Richmond. I will start there next time.

@sig_UVa glad to hear you are back in your car and that the shop tech was honest about his mistake. Sure he's learned from it. OMG just looked at your original post from the accident being in December. Assume you were able to drive until it had to go into the shop which I know even scheduling can take some time. Anyway nice to hear Tesla worked to make it right too.

@sig_UVa glad to hear you are back in your car and that the shop tech was honest about his mistake. Sure he's learned from it. OMG just looked at your original post from the accident being in December. Assume you were able to drive until it had to go into the shop which I know even scheduling can take some time. Anyway nice to hear Tesla worked to make it right too.

Thanks! I didn't drive it too much as the headlight was busted. The body shop put it on a flatbed and took it to Richmond at the end of January. The good news is that it was indoors for most of that time and was sheltered from the snow and ice storms (love the tracking in the app).

I was also going to switch out the summer tires for all season ones, but now that it's warm again....I'll just wear these out until Nov/Dec.

I was driving to Zion Canyon past week, and a deer jumped out of no-where. I had no time to react and it hit the right front side of my model 3.

Deer ran into the right headlight, jumped up a little and the antelrs hit the hood leaving few scratches, then hit the side mirror and right passenger door.

It happened all too fast, but luckily my family was all okay, and the car was drivable after the accident.

Hoping for a quick repair time. Ill be missing driving this car while in the shop.

Oh dear. That's too bad.

Wait...I thought your model 3 hit a deer.

in all actuality "You" hit a deer.

With Tesla's - you have to make that distinction.

I hope your repair time is short.

• Funny
Reactions: derotam
I was driving to Zion Canyon past week, and a deer jumped out of no-where. I had no time to react and it hit the right front side of my model 3.

Deer ran into the right headlight, jumped up a little and the antelrs hit the hood leaving few scratches, then hit the side mirror and right passenger door.

It happened all too fast, but luckily my family was all okay, and the car was drivable after the accident.

Hoping for a quick repair time. Ill be missing driving this car while in the shop.

Were you driving?

Then YOU hit the deer and you just happened to be driving a Model 3.

I worry about this a lot - I live in a deer-filled rural area and have had a couple of close calls.

Having just recently acquired AP on my car, I wonder if it's safer deer-wise to use TACC on these back roads, or not? Presumably the car can see them well before I can, but may not necessarily recognize them or know how to react. I know I had a close call with a small deer once that was just sitting in the road when I came around a big curve and AEB did not engage. But what AEB reacts to is totally different from how TACC handles. If I leave TACC off I have instant access to regen at any moment, but my peripheral vision isn't great, particularly at night.

Thoughts?