Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Impressions - Got to Drive It!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps the AWD variant will...but not the standard one I drove
Perhaps the AWD variant will...but not the standard one I drove
I edited my comment after you replied.

The 3 is much lighter, has a lower polar moment of inertia (because the pack does not extend as far to the front and back), and a lower center of gravity.

All of these factors should allow the 3 to handle better than the X. How hard were you cornering?

I edited my comment after you replied.

The 3 is much lighter, has a lower polar moment of inertia (because the pack does not extend as far to the front and back), and a lower center of gravity.

All of these factors should allow the 3 to handle better than the X. How hard were you cornering?

Nothing crazy but did have some fun around a roundabout.

Considering that the X handles like an S that ate a Florida manatee or two, I'm not inclined to take this statement particularly seriously...

Obviously parking and making a 3-point turn on the 3 is more seamless....can’t change physics. But on the X I can make a harsh turn without the tires sequaling, not true on the 3. Like I said this is probably due to AWD

I'm sure Telsa doesn't really want an even longer list of reservation holders at this point. We're waiting for a M3 as well but also have a 2017 S and while I think there is a lot to love about the Model 3, saw it in person a few months back which convinced me I wanted to put in a reservation for it as our second car, there's still a huge difference between the S and the 3. Having experienced both cars, the interior of the Model S is still much nicer in more ways than one over the 3, and I wouldn't decide between the two models based on any of the items mentioned (like coat hooks, storage areas and cupholders). If we had more room to park another S and we weren't so conscious about owning two cars in this price range, hands down would buy another S instead, with a chance we still might depending on our wait. Interestingly when we asked the employee we worked with at the time we placed our order for our Model 3 in store if he ordered one, he said he ended up buying an S instead after getting to see the 3 first.

Not putting down the Model 3 in any way here, just saying it isn't simply a down-sized S, and I think Telsa is correct to let people know this especially if people are holding off wanting a Tesla and thinking it is. At least when the Model 3 makes it's appearance in store for viewing/test drives, people will be able to compare the two for themselves and decide which fits them best. If you are going LR and AWD with pup, the pricing difference will start to get much closer. The Model 3 has a lot of good things going for it and will be a great smaller car. I think most people buying a lower-priced car don't place orders and wait for a year or more for their car to arrive so this is quite a phenomena and shows how hungry people are for a long range EV with great styling and Tesla technology.

Even more concerning is why Tesla is allowing M3s to go out the factory door with am important function like the Tesla app (Android) not working. I can deal with audio functions like USB and audio streaming (Bluetooth) not currently working but an important Tesla app to unlock/start the car is unacceptable. Clearly, the M3 is not ready for prime time!

Have to wonder if the answer to that doesn't lie in the numerous software versions out there on a myriad of android phones customized slightly different by the various vendors.

Tesla made him sign an NDA so he isn't letting me post any pics or videos...I begged him! He was told not to let any media or 3rd party gain access to the car. He was told not to take the 3 into any shop for tinting/wash or something like that and not to valet the car.

On the subject of the NDA, I guess Tesla can try to get buyers to sign anything, but it would seem highly unlikely that they could enforce a restriction on valet parking, servicing the vehicle or allowing a third party to access the car. Since he let you drive it, he'd already be in violation of that one.....Once they sell you the car, it's pretty much yours to do with as you please.

I'm not doubting they would try to deter it, but I doubt they would have any luck enforcing it.

On the subject of the NDA, I guess Tesla can try to get buyers to sign anything, but it would seem highly unlikely that they could enforce a restriction on valet parking, servicing the vehicle or allowing a third party to access the car. Since he let you drive it, he'd already be in violation of that one.....Once they sell you the car, it's pretty much yours to do with as you please.

I'm not doubting they would try to deter it, but I doubt they would have any luck enforcing it.

I am assuming the only one they can really enforce is the ability to prevent someone from selling the car over MSRP.

Yes but that phone just came out recently and they may not have had time to test against it. If the Tesla app works on other phones running android just fine than I would guess there is something in the Pixel 2 code that conflicts.

Non-employees won't get their hands on a Model 3 for what 4 weeks at least? Not sure anyone has gone into contract yet. The employees all know they were going to be the active beta testers for the car in the meantime. Also probably partially the reason current Tesla owners get priority over non-owners--already understand how things should work/handle and understand the brand new car/technology growing pains already. I'm sure Tesla would rather have the new-to-Tesla owners getting cars with most of the bugs worked out already.

Last edited:
IMO this is about preserving sales of Model S. While people who want a large cargo hatch, dual motor, and HEPA filter will still go for an S, I expect that fence sitters may opt to wait for a 3 if there is a lot of publicity around it. From a business standpoint, Tesla would rather have a Model S sale and get cash now, than have more people place reservations for 3's that won't ship for a long time.
I think there is going to be a major freshening of the MS design soon - exterior and interior. I think we will see a front fascia more akin to the TM3 and R2. The interior will feature an interior similar to the TM3 but to the next level (maybe with HUD!). In the meantime, they don't want to cannibalize MS/X sales
Because employees, that’s why. And according to the OP the car is ready for prime time. Using the key card until software bugs are ironed out for various phones is not a big deal unless someone wants to be petty and make it a big deal.
Sort of, I think all the features are not fully developed at this time and that is why first deliveries are going to employees. I think Elon wanted to get the Model 3 out ASAP to avoid the incessant criticism for always being late. In my opinion, the Model 3 really hasn't been released yet and wont be until the first reservationists receive theirs in about a month.

Whoa, back up here - are you certain of that? Because we've had other Model 3 owners insist that there was no NDA. That they were asked not to do feature-by-feature reviews, but did not have to sign anything to that effect.
I think that the first deliveries did not have NDAs, but as a result of several "less than professional reviews" (you can guess who I am talking about), Tesla is now requiring NDAs from employee deliveries

Not putting down the Model 3 in any way here, just saying it isn't simply a down-sized S,

Agree, it is NOT a downsized MS, it is a totally different car. Too many people are comparing it to an MS and that is NOT what Elon intends. He wants people to compare the TM3 to the Bummer, Oddie, and the Bunz.

I have a high degree of confidence that Tesla does not want too much Model 3 publicity until the production ramp is complete, precisely because the car is so good. I have watched every Model 3 video review I could find, and reached the conclusion that Mode 3's interior is arguably superior to the Model S in terms of usable space and convenience features like coat hooks, storage areas, and cupholders.

IMO this is about preserving sales of Model S. While people who want a large cargo hatch, dual motor, and HEPA filter will still go for an S, I expect that fence sitters may opt to wait for a 3 if there is a lot of publicity around it. From a business standpoint, Tesla would rather have a Model S sale and get cash now, than have more people place reservations for 3's that won't ship for a long time.

Oh.. do I smell a conspiracy theory? Maybe they are faking the Model 3 production delay to sell more Model S/X!!! Ha, ha, just kidding.

A friend of mine who has a relative that works at Tesla took delivery of his 3 last week (VIN 800s).

Build Quality:
It's nearly perfect!! The panel alignments are perfect, everything is sturdy and clean, the seals are also pretty good...but still slightly bent in the top corners of windows, not really a big deal. Much better than 57xx Model X...and this car is in the 800s!!!
The seats don't have any wrinkles, and they aren't any rattles!

This is great to hear. Cant find any complains with my model X except the rattly rattles :)