Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Impressions - Got to Drive It!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over Thanksgiving weekend, my wife, my brother, and brother’s girlfriend and I went to the Fremont Delivery Center and saw a red M3 being delivered to an employee. His female companion had convinced him to get the red as it was sexy and she was right. They were kind enough to let us look the car over and even sit in all of the seats. Convinced my wife that she liked it better than the MS as she and my brother’s girlfriend thought the seats were more comfortable and cabin storage for all sorts of things was much better. Interior was black and looked like a nice classy grey black which she liked over the white. We initially wanted a lighter interior. We also saw many M3s in the back lot but were asked not to touch or take pictures. Saw every color but could not decide between three of them. Initially we wanted Midnight Silver but seeing it in person we liked American colors (red, white, and blue). I must say the car does look much better in person than in pictures and no picture has done any color justice either. The build quality was great as well although I did not some sharp edges on the trim near the window of the rear passenger door. I would advise everyone to see for themselves before making decisions or drawing conclusions on what the car has to offer. We will order a first production when our turn comes hopefully in Q1 of 2018. The employee did say that they were at 100 cars per day and climbing fast so he thought our turn would come soon. Sorry no pics with respect to the employee as well as the Delivery Center’s request.

My BMW connected app did not work immediately after I purchased a 2013 X6M. The software was not released stateside yet, it took a couple months until BMW was able to activate it. The Kool-Aid was OK but not as fast as Tesla's.
Your BMW had a key fob, the M3 doesn't and if the Tesla smartphone app doesn't work, the only way to unlock/drive the car is by using the key card which is not convenient.

Your BMW had a key fob, the M3 doesn't and if the Tesla smartphone app doesn't work, the only way to unlock/drive the car is by using the key card which is not convenient.
I initially thought the same thing, but is it really any more inconvenient than a key? At least a card won't scratch the car the way a key does.

I am happy they have the app configured for the 3 to open the frunk. I hate that I have to find my fob or sit in the car just to open my frunk, plus it's always dirty under the lip so touching it sucks.

Reactions: SpiceWare
That's not entirely true. If the bluetooth app doesn't work it is likely that the regular phone app will work — it is pretty robust, although it does need an internet connection of some sort (Data or WiFi). That might not be very convenient but it is helpful to remember that there are three ways to open the car: bluetooth phone app, regular phone internet app, and the key card.

I initially thought the same thing, but is it really any more inconvenient than a key? At least a card won't scratch the car the way a key does.

I am happy they have the app configured for the 3 to open the frunk. I hate that I have to find my fob or sit in the car just to open my frunk, plus it's always dirty under the lip so touching it sucks.
We're talking about a key fob, not a key. The first time I used a car that had a key fob, I knew that it was a "must have" feature on my next car.

Reactions: N5329K
That's not entirely true. If the bluetooth app doesn't work it is likely that the regular phone app will work — it is pretty robust, although it does need an internet connection of some sort (Data or WiFi). That might not be very convenient but it is helpful to remember that there are three ways to open the car: bluetooth phone app, regular phone internet app, and the key card.
The M3 uses Bluetooth LE to communicate with the smartphone.

Option #1: be tethered to a phone the way some guys used to be tethered to their pocket protectors.
Option #2: approach the car, stop, take out your wallet (hope it's a safe, well-lit place), remove a card (with gloves?), place the card just so against the B pillar, put your wallet away, get in quickly and place the card just so in the center console.
Option #3: hope for an aftermarket fob.
Option #4: buy a different car.
I think that about sums it up for me.
Robin

Option #1: be tethered to a phone the way some guys used to be tethered to their pocket protectors.
Option #2: approach the car, stop, take out your wallet (hope it's a safe, well-lit place), remove a card (with gloves?), place the card just so against the B pillar, put your wallet away, get in quickly and place the card just so in the center console.
Option #3: hope for an aftermarket fob.
Option #4: buy a different car.
I think that about sums it up for me.
Robin

1: Most people I know or see already are
2a: Doesn't have to be in a wallet;
2b: Only need to remove from wallet if it's designed as radio blocking
2c: Only needs to go into center console if it takes you more than 15 seconds to push the brake pedal
3a: Could buy cheap/used/small phone with no plan as an "aftermarket" fob.
3b: Possible that Tesla app will be developed for smart watches too. (could use as a watch or a tiny fob with no band)
3c: Possible that Tesla will allow pairing of X keys (already BT) if enough demand
4: Yes, always an option at any time for any product one doesn't like.

Even more concerning is why Tesla is allowing M3s to go out the factory door with am important function like the Tesla app (Android) not working. I can deal with audio functions like USB and audio streaming (Bluetooth) not currently working but an important Tesla app to unlock/start the car is unacceptable. Clearly, the M3 is not ready for prime time!

Decisions have consequences, and deciding to use one type of phone over another is no exception.

Reactions: Krugerrand
So is there talk of introducing additional interior colors with the premium pkg?
If the basic 3 has cloth seats or non textile, what are the seats with the premium pkg? I’m confused
Not yet. The website indicates white in Fall 2017 but that is not happening. I’m hearing (unverified) white will be available in August 2018 and no other colors being considered for M3.

HUNDRED cars per day !
HUNDRED cars per day !!

I can already smell burnt shorts

Cool, at that rate I might get mine by… oh… June.
I doubt shorts will be worried to hear Tesla not even reaching a seventh of what was originally planned for that timeframe.....
But hey, better than 260 handmade cars per quarter nonetheless.

Yeah there's not really much to get excited about when we're talking 100 cars a day. From my perspective that just means I *MIGHT* get mine by easter. Maybe. Depends how many more goddamned people buy Model S or X to jump the queue.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne