Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Impressions - Got to Drive It!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if rattles on Model 3 are "common" and just part of the Tesla family then I will not be joining the Tesla family.

There is a reason why we accept the rattles, and you will probably accept them to. Model 3 looks more like a simple build than the X. Another thing to consider is that the G forces Teslas have to endure during accelaration is nothing compared to the slow cars you are used to.

I think there is going to be a major freshening of the MS design soon - exterior and interior. I think we will see a front fascia more akin to the TM3 and R2. The interior will feature an interior similar to the TM3 but to the next level (maybe with HUD!). In the meantime, they don't want to cannibalize MS/X sales
I fully expect this as well. If the refresh looks good and happens before my config invite comes I may bite. If they had gotten the refresh in before the end of this year I would have already ordered

There is a reason why we accept the rattles, and you will probably accept them to. Model 3 looks more like a simple build than the X. Another thing to consider is that the G forces Teslas have to endure during accelaration is nothing compared to the slow cars you are used to.
we`re talking about 40-60k cars. The sound of an old couch is not acceptable in that price range.

• Love
Reactions: voip-ninja

Haven been in numerous cars capable of blistering fast 0-60 and 1/4 mile times that are not plagued with rattles I think you'r rather full of it.

• Disagree
Reactions: xav- and SageBrush
To tone this down a bit:

1) Preventing all rattles is harder on an EV than an ICE. The low rumble of an ice even at low power demands is excellent at hiding minor rattles.

2) If there is something that occurs which bothers you - which is far from guaranteed - the service centre will fix it.

That's not to excuse any rattles; Tesla has an obligation to try to make their cars up to their customers expectations, even if those expectations are very high.

A friend of mine who has a relative that works at Tesla took delivery of his 3 last week (VIN 800s).

Build Quality:
It's nearly perfect!! The panel alignments are perfect, everything is sturdy and clean, the seals are also pretty good...but still slightly bent in the top corners of windows, not really a big deal. Much better than 57xx Model X...and this car is in the 800s!!!
The seats don't have any wrinkles, and they aren't any rattles!

Space
The car has a lot of space! The trunk is huge, rear legroom and headroom is not as much as the 6-seater X but still really good. The center counsel is awesome!!

The Screen
Coming from the X, it will still take some getting use to. The U.I doesn't seem entirely finished as certain tasks are still not-intuitive but it is still responsive. I still prefer the X/S screen layout but this is still pretty good. Also, it seems that they need to fix the auto-brighness.

Autopilot
He was told not to turn it on till the car reaches 200 miles for calibration.

Mobile App
It wasn't really working properly on his Android device...so he had to use the key card. Kept on getting connection errors and phone key didn't work.

The Drive
Handling is pretty good, steering is nice...it is almost as good as my X.

Delivery Experience
Tesla made him sign an NDA so he isn't letting me post any pics or videos...I begged him! He was told not to let any media or 3rd party gain access to the car. He was told not to take the 3 into any shop for tinting/wash or something like that and not to valet the car.
Also, he said the delivery process was smooth but the reps didn't have any answers to the questions he was asking...probably since the car was so new.
I am not sure why Tesla is so worried regarding this...the car is nearly perfect and a lot of people will like it. The early X's were a lot worse...Tesla has nothing to worry about.

I am nearly asleep...ate to much turkey so apologies if something I wrote earlier doesn't make any sense.
Captain, you lost all credibility by not reviewing the most important feature-- how is the sunshade in this beast? :)
Seriously, great writeup. I can't wait to see one up close.
Thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: PeterK
Even more concerning is why Tesla is allowing M3s to go out the factory door with am important function like the Tesla app (Android) not working. I can deal with audio functions like USB and audio streaming (Bluetooth) not currently working but an important Tesla app to unlock/start the car is unacceptable. Clearly, the M3 is not ready for prime time!

Right now, the M3's are going out to friends & family, so probably not going out to whiners...and it's all an easy fix.

Does it have Blind Spot and Rear Cross Traffic warnings? I really miss those in my $100K S-model. Our Lexus gives visible warning for Blind Spots in the side-view mirrors, but our S only shows a shadow on the front display under the steering column. I don't see that while driving.
I've seen no mention of anything different than what the S/X have now. Nothing in the side mirrors and just the "shadows" in the display.

Pretty sure if it had these features, someone would have pointed out by now.

Listening to all this and I’m hoping All will be resolved by time I get mine. Not sure when this will ever be. I live in NJ.
Does anyone know if you order the convenience pkg if seats comes in any other color. I sure I am getting the Black. But not crazy about black on black. I’ve seen the white and do not like. If there was a cream that would be great

Listening to all this and I’m hoping All will be resolved by time I get mine. Not sure when this will ever be. I live in NJ.
Does anyone know if you order the convenience pkg if seats comes in any other color. I sure I am getting the Black. But not crazy about black on black. I’ve seen the white and do not like. If there was a cream that would be great
Black is only thing available now. White was stated available "Fall", but it's almost technically winter, so no one exactly knows when it will. Even though cream is available on the S/X, it has never been mentioned being offered on the 3.

By convenience package, I assume you mean premium upgrade package? The non-premium package will have textile (cloth) seats and those have only been offered in black (although the center parts of the seat almost look dark grey).

Black is only thing available now. White was stated available "Fall", but it's almost technically winter, so no one exactly knows when it will. Even though cream is available on the S/X, it has never been mentioned being offered on the 3.

By convenience package, I assume you mean premium upgrade package? The non-premium package will have textile (cloth) seats and those have only been offered in black (although the center parts of the seat almost look dark grey).[/QUOTE

So it’s black on black on no matter what color I order. I definetly don’t think that $1000 or $1500 for a color is worth it. To me white is horrible. I’ve seen it on the S. I’m sacrificing on color and tire size even though I think the Aero is awful and hoping once it is taking off the wheels would look good.