Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 Impressions - Got to Drive It!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
A friend of mine who has a relative that works at Tesla took delivery of his 3 last week (VIN 800s).

Build Quality:
It's nearly perfect!! The panel alignments are perfect, everything is sturdy and clean, the seals are also pretty good...but still slightly bent in the top corners of windows, not really a big deal. Much better than 57xx Model X...and this car is in the 800s!!!
The seats don't have any wrinkles, and they aren't any rattles!

Space
The car has a lot of space! The trunk is huge, rear legroom and headroom is not as much as the 6-seater X but still really good. The center counsel is awesome!!

The Screen
Coming from the X, it will still take some getting use to. The U.I doesn't seem entirely finished as certain tasks are still not-intuitive but it is still responsive. I still prefer the X/S screen layout but this is still pretty good. Also, it seems that they need to fix the auto-brighness.

Autopilot
He was told not to turn it on till the car reaches 200 miles for calibration.

Mobile App
It wasn't really working properly on his Android device...so he had to use the key card. Kept on getting connection errors and phone key didn't work.

The Drive
Handling is pretty good, steering is nice...it is almost as good as my X.

Delivery Experience
Tesla made him sign an NDA so he isn't letting me post any pics or videos...I begged him! He was told not to let any media or 3rd party gain access to the car. He was told not to take the 3 into any shop for tinting/wash or something like that and not to valet the car.
Also, he said the delivery process was smooth but the reps didn't have any answers to the questions he was asking...probably since the car was so new.
I am not sure why Tesla is so worried regarding this...the car is nearly perfect and a lot of people will like it. The early X's were a lot worse...Tesla has nothing to worry about.

I am nearly asleep...ate to much turkey so apologies if something I wrote earlier doesn't make any sense.

Tesla made him sign an NDA so he isn't letting me post any pics or videos...I begged him! He was told not to let any media or 3rd party gain access to the car. He was told not to take the 3 into any shop for tinting/wash or something like that and not to valet the car.
Also, he said the delivery process was smooth but the reps didn't have any answers to the questions he was asking...probably since the car was so new. I am not sure why Tesla is so worried regarding this...the car is nearly perfect and a lot of people will like it. The early X's were a lot worse...Tesla has nothing to worry about.

lol, Tesla must have seen those OCDetailing and M3OC videos and told people not to let third parties try out the car.

Tesla is in an odd anti-selling mode right now.

Also, he said the delivery process was smooth but the reps didn't have any answers to the questions he was asking...probably since the car was so new.
I am not sure why Tesla is so worried regarding this...the car is nearly perfect and a lot of people will like it. The early X's were a lot worse...Tesla has nothing to worry about.

I am nearly asleep...ate to much turkey so apologies if something I wrote earlier doesn't make any sense.

I have a high degree of confidence that Tesla does not want too much Model 3 publicity until the production ramp is complete, precisely because the car is so good. I have watched every Model 3 video review I could find, and reached the conclusion that Mode 3's interior is arguably superior to the Model S in terms of usable space and convenience features like coat hooks, storage areas, and cupholders.

IMO this is about preserving sales of Model S. While people who want a large cargo hatch, dual motor, and HEPA filter will still go for an S, I expect that fence sitters may opt to wait for a 3 if there is a lot of publicity around it. From a business standpoint, Tesla would rather have a Model S sale and get cash now, than have more people place reservations for 3's that won't ship for a long time.

I have a high degree of confidence that Tesla does not want too much Model 3 publicity until the production ramp is complete, precisely because the car is so good. I have watched every Model 3 video review I could find, and reached the conclusion that Mode 3's interior is arguably superior to the Model S in terms of usable space and convenience features like coat hooks, storage areas, and cupholders.

IMO this is about preserving sales of Model S. While people who want a large cargo hatch, dual motor, and HEPA filter will still go for an S, I expect that fence sitters may opt to wait for a 3 if there is a lot of publicity around it. From a business standpoint, Tesla would rather have a Model S sale and get cash now, than have more people place reservations for 3's that won't ship for a long time.
I think this is exactly right - s and x sales would suffer with more details about the 3 out in the wild.

What really gets me going is the capability of charging at 220kw leaked through the epa documents - why would you buy anything with the old cells that can theoretically charge at half the rate?

• Funny
Reactions: NCIC and TigaFF

It definitely doesn’t feel superior to my X, a great car but the S and X are definitely at a another level. From seat comfort to performance

Wow...that's disappointing. Wonder if others have had issues on other Android devices. I'd hate to be stuck on just using the key card.
Even more concerning is why Tesla is allowing M3s to go out the factory door with am important function like the Tesla app (Android) not working. I can deal with audio functions like USB and audio streaming (Bluetooth) not currently working but an important Tesla app to unlock/start the car is unacceptable. Clearly, the M3 is not ready for prime time!

Even more concerning is why Tesla is allowing M3s to go out the factory door with am important function like the Tesla app (Android) not working. I can deal with audio functions like USB and audio streaming (Bluetooth) not currently working but an important Tesla app to unlock/start the car is unacceptable. Clearly, the M3 is not ready for prime time!

Because employees, that’s why. And according to the OP the car is ready for prime time. Using the key card until software bugs are ironed out for various phones is not a big deal unless someone wants to be petty and make it a big deal.

It definitely doesn’t feel superior to my X, a great car but the S and X are definitely at a another level. From seat comfort to performance
Interesting. I actually found the seats in the 3, at least from an initial impression standpoint (~15 minutes in them), to be more comfortable than any of the seating options offered in the S... and I've driven cars with every front seat configuration. More attention was paid in touch point materials choice in the 3 and the fit & finish was better than most of what I've seen out of the first 4 model years of the S. The steering wheel design in the 3 is a bit bland, but that's not the end of the world.

Performance is not just acceleration. I would imagine the 3 handles better than the S, much less the X.

Edit: Because of lower polar moment of inertia, lower center of gravity and much lighter weight.

Interesting. I actually found the seats in the 3, at least from an initial impression standpoint (~15 minutes in them), to be more comfortable than any of the seating options offered in the S... and I've driven cars with every front seat configuration. More attention was paid in touch point materials choice in the 3 and the fit & finish was better than most of what I've seen out of the first 4 model years of the S. The steering wheel design in the 3 is a bit bland, but that's not the end of the world.

The seats on my X are more wider and have better hip and lumbar support. The 3 seats are great but I found the X seats a little better. The only aspect that’s better are the headrest...on the X they are as hard as a rock!!
Totally agree about the steering wheel, it doesn’t look nice but it still feels nice