Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 interior making me sick (literally)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3 is approaching one year of age, and the smell has largely dissipated. Occasionally, it will still smack me in the face, however. I notice this particularly when it's been sitting for a while with windows up during hot weather. What struck me the other day was how much it smelled like gasoline fumes! My first thought was, ah-ha! Plastic is made from petroleum... good thing I'm driving this Tesla to save the planet when this pleather is still contributing to the problem... EYEROLL

The "new car smell" are literally chemicals you are smelling so yeah those "people" don't know what they are talking about.

I think both are true. New car smell is chemical. Tesla new car smell seems to be different. My guess is that it's the vegan leather seats but it could also be some sort of weird glue that they're using. Who knows. It'd be nice to hear from Tesla on this.

My 3 is approaching one year of age, and the smell has largely dissipated. Occasionally, it will still smack me in the face, however. I notice this particularly when it's been sitting for a while with windows up during hot weather. What struck me the other day was how much it smelled like gasoline fumes! My first thought was, ah-ha! Plastic is made from petroleum... good thing I'm driving this Tesla to save the planet when this pleather is still contributing to the problem... EYEROLL

Yeah when it's hot, I've learned, it dramatically accelerates the outgassing process. If the windows are closed then it's just collecting. I've had mine with the windows open in sun and in garage for years. Still has a chemical smell that gets much worse when it's been in the sun.

Just went into the car today to check out the new software update (from last week). All the interior windows are again fogged up with a thin white oily layer. I know this is typical for brand new cars as they outgas. But for a two year old car...?

Before you judge, hear me out.

It seems that I'm reacting to some sort of dust or off-gassing in my Model 3. I've had it for more than 6 months now and things have improved slightly but I still can't tolerate it for more than a short drive and it really sucks after saving for this car for a while. Symptoms are warm feeling in lungs, hoarseness, generally feeling like getting the flu (while driving) and later feeling like I've been in a very smoky bar (this seems to start about a day after and last for a couple of days). Seems like an allergy or sensitivity.

I'm sure this is really rare but I've messaged with another owner on TMC who’s had some similar issues, and have seen a few other postings here, so I know I'm not the only one.

Sadly, Tesla CS has been very unhelpful (I'm trying to see if I could swap for cloth seats or get more info on interior materials).

Serious answers only please: Any TMC members out there who have had issues and have found the cause/fix?

Hi, I don't see it listed in anyone else's replies.

the best safe natural way to remove a new car smell is to get an old or cheap Tupperware/Ziploc container Put some Baking soda inside. then leave it in the car. If you can drill some holes in the lid and put a thin cloth across the top under the lid to prevent spilling. Or just get one of the arm and hammer fridge fresh packages.

The baking soda will absorb the odours and you should see improvement relatively quickly. Not instantly but within a few days. Still keep your windows cracked for venting. But I really think this will help you since you are sensitive the cars "fragrance"

Hi, I don't see it listed in anyone else's replies.

the best safe natural way to remove a new car smell is to get an old or cheap Tupperware/Ziploc container Put some Baking soda inside. then leave it in the car. If you can drill some holes in the lid and put a thin cloth across the top under the lid to prevent spilling. Or just get one of the arm and hammer fridge fresh packages.

The baking soda will absorb the odours and you should see improvement relatively quickly. Not instantly but within a few days. Still keep your windows cracked for venting. But I really think this will help you since you are sensitive the cars "fragrance"

I've had charcoal in there for a while. Think this would work better?

I've had charcoal in there for a while. Think this would work better?
It's helped me before. I recommend the Fridge-N-Freezer Arm and Hammer Box. Leave windows closed on wet days, but open on dry. The baking soda will absorb the odours. You will not need to run the car in dog mode.

I personally used it when I got my minivan used it was an ex-rental and had some odours in it. Left the fridge-n-freezer box inside under a seat and changed it out every 2-3 weeks. The smell was mostly gone in one week. While that wasn't off-gassing, just bad odour it does work for both. Just don't forget to change it as after a while as it will smell bad from absorbing odours.

So did some interior cleaning and noticed that the interior windows are covered with that oily white film that happens with outgassing. But the vehicle is two years old and has been outside vented nearly daily. How can it still be outgassing like this after two years?

If you are still concerned about off gassing and the film creation associated with it you need to stop parking it outside. The off gassing occurs as the dash is heated up by the sun which causes the plasticizers to breakdown and off gas. Keeping the car in a cool place out of the sun will cut down on the off gassing.

If you are still getting sick from the car you should probably get rid of it.

If you want to try more stuff then tint the windows with some high quality ceramic so when its in the sun its more protected. Also get a windshield and back window shield to put up when parking. Another step would be to get a vinyl wrap on the roof as well.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Hi OP, new Model 3 owner here and I’m having a similar problem. I felt like it was hard to breathe, at first I thought it was the new double pane windows but even when I opened the windows it was hard to breathe. I noticed it was due to my nasal passages constricting. Also, the first week I had the car I would be super tired after driving home from work. Fatigue is a normal allergic reaction for me. It’s been in the 100’s lately and the new car smell is strong. Black interior, AWD. Airing it out has helped but not resolved.

Did you ever solve the problem?

New cars are dangerous. Multiple carcinogens release from the plastics for 6-12mo, creating the "new car smell". Extreme heat may worsen the problem. Make it a habit to vent the car during hot days before you sit inside, also leave windows open in the garage (assuming you own a home).

New cars are dangerous. Multiple carcinogens release from the plastics for 6-12mo, creating the "new car smell". Extreme heat may worsen the problem. Make it a habit to vent the car during hot days before you sit inside, also leave windows open in the garage (assuming you own a
New cars are dangerous. Multiple carcinogens release from the plastics for 6-12mo, creating the "new car smell". Extreme heat may worsen the problem. Make it a habit to vent the car during hot days before you sit inside, also leave windows open in the garage (assuming you own a home).
Good points, thanks. It’s getting better but just slightly day by day.

I drive a Model3 from 2021 (build in China). I have the same problems with the seats Josh and BloddBaath are having. Actually exactly the same symptoms as Josh described. I took me a while to identify PU as the culprit but I am pretty sure now as I have the same allergic reaction when sitting on an artificial leather coach (made of PU) or lying on a PU mattress. Anyway has any of you ever been able to solve the problem with the Tesla?

Old post but I bought an air quality monitor a while back and it’s been interesting to see what it reads in cars. The overarching lesson seems to be leave windows down whenever possible (when parked) especially when it’s hot, and blow lots of fresh air for at least a couple minutes when you can’t do that or when recirculate has been on, and don’t leave any cardboard or rubbery type stuff in you cabin. Bottom line is there’s tons of unhealthy stuff used to build the cars for now so you want to do your best to minimize exposure. Also don’t chalk it up to just allergies.