Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 interior making me sick (literally)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before you judge, hear me out.

It seems that I'm reacting to some sort of the dust or off gassing in my Model 3. I've had it for more than 6 months now and things have improved slightly but I still can't tolerate it for more than a short drive and it really sucks after saving for this car for a while. Symptoms are: warm feeling in lungs, hoarseness, generally feeling like getting a flu (while driving) and later feeling like I've been in a very smoky bar (this seems to start about a day after and last for a couple of days). Seems like an allergy or sensitivity.

I'm sure this is really rare but I've messaged with another owner on TMC who’s had some similar issues, and have seen a few other postings here, so I know I'm not the only one.

Sadly, Tesla CS has been very unhelpful (I'm trying to see if I could swap for cloth seats or get more info on interior materials).

Serious answers only please: Any TMC members out there who have had issues and have found the cause/fix?

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Can't say I've experienced any of this but can try to be helpful. Maybe you could try leaving your car attached to a charger with the ventilation on whenever you're not using it to speed up the process. If you experienced some improvement over time, maybe that speeds it up enough to resolve your issue.

Reactions: SteveD
Can't say I've experienced any of this but can try to be helpful. Maybe you could try leaving your car attached to a charger with the ventilation on whenever you're not using it to speed up the process. If you experienced some improvement over time, maybe that speeds it up enough to resolve your issue.
Also, if you park in a your own garage, leave the windows down to actually let the fumes out.

You might check on the price to get the seats re-covered. It is not cheap, bur maybe not as much as you think. Of course, you really have no way to know if the seat material is the problem. There are carpets, all the adhesives, the roof, the dash ...

Unfortunately typical out-gassing will be temperature dependent. Since we’re moving into summer, I would expect it to get worse. Definitely try to park in the sun and keep your windows ajar just slightly. Ventilation will help, but you should also try to keep the inside temperature as high as possible, so not too much ventilation that it keeps the temperature at ambient. When in the vehicle, just keep the windows open and enjoy the outside air. BTW, when I had my old wood flooring refinished I had to wait a month before I could move in, even leaving the windows open all the time. That was in April, but found that the out gassing increased dramatically in August when temperatures exceeded 100F. The following summer I still noticed it.

Before you judge, hear me out.

It seems that I'm reacting to some sort of the dust or off gassing in my Model 3. I've had it for more than 6 months now and things have improved slightly but I still can't tolerate it for more than a short drive and it really sucks after saving for this car for a while. Symptoms are: warm feeling in lungs, hoarseness, generally feeling like getting a flu (while driving) and later feeling like I've been in a very smoky bar (this seems to start about a day after and last for a couple of days). Seems like an allergy or sensitivity.

I'm sure this is really rare but I've messaged with another owner on TMC who’s had some similar issues, and have seen a few other postings here, so I know I'm not the only one.

Sadly, Tesla CS has been very unhelpful (I'm trying to see if I could swap for cloth seats or get more info on interior materials).

Serious answers only please: Any TMC members out there who have had issues and have found the cause/fix?
Perhaps you might try riding in somebody else's Model 3 to see if it's something unique to yours or not?

You might also want to experiment with driving with windows open, etc. to verify whether it's actually the air quality or something else (amount of ventilation, visual or auditory environment, etc).

For what it's worth, I did a test of air quality in my Model 3 vs. my Toyota RAV4 EV. I was actually testing to see how well the air filters removed the heavy smoke we were experiencing from the California fires but it was also interesting to see how much lower the VOC's were in the new Tesla versus the five-year old Toyota.
Model 3 filtering out smoke - video
Model 3 vs RAV4 EV filtering smoke (plus VOC's buildup)

As others have suggested, try leaving all of your windows down when parked in your garage or slightly cracked at other times. Run your ventilation often when unattended and especially before driving and make certain your AC is not on re-circulate in order to always pump fresh outside air into the cabin. Hopefully your reaction will subside as the offending substance is allowed to outgas. I have sudden severe reactions to vinyl, but I have not had any issues with the S or 3.

Good luck !

This community is awesome!

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions (and lack of fart-and-it'll-all-be-fine jokes). I have been airing out both during the day when possible (in sun, windows cracked an inch or so) and at night in garage (windows open). That, I think, has helped the smell a decent amount.

I'm not sure if the smell and the reaction are linked but it's quit possible. I suspect this is off gassing related but who knows. I do have a history of reacting to things like new flooring, new paint and dry cleaning. I suspect a polyurethane reaction but I don't know if it's particles, gas or what. Because the vegan leather is polyurethane I thought maybe that would be the place the start.

Driving with windows open is a good idea but what is really confounding is that it hasn't seemed to help that much. On the other hand I stopped trying that a while ago and maybe the outgassing levels were extreme then.

The "experimentation process" has been so slow because I can try and drive it and see but then it takes me a few days to recover. So the cycle time is basically weekly.

The other member I messaged with said that they had some luck with ozone so I've started doing that. We'll see if that helps. It does seem to help the smell at least for a few days (but I assume it comes back after being emitted by whatever is still off gassing).

I was also thinking about physically removing the seats for a bit and sitting in the car without them to see if that will narrow down the issue. Yes, I'm that desperate.

Perhaps you might try riding in somebody else's Model 3 to see if it's something unique to yours or not?

You might also want to experiment with driving with windows open, etc. to verify whether it's actually the air quality or something else (amount of ventilation, visual or auditory environment, etc).

For what it's worth, I did a test of air quality in my Model 3 vs. my Toyota RAV4 EV. I was actually testing to see how well the air filters removed the heavy smoke we were experiencing from the California fires but it was also interesting to see how much lower the VOC's were in the new Tesla versus the five-year old Toyota.
Model 3 filtering out smoke - video
Model 3 vs RAV4 EV filtering smoke (plus VOC's buildup)

Good idea about riding in another 3. I did rent one on Turo before I bought and had no issues but it was a much earlier build and maybe something changed in materials since. This was why I was trying to get in touch with Tesla to find out but they have been stonewalling me.

The measurements data is interesting. I'd be driving with the recirculation on because I thought maybe that would filter out whatever is in the cabin but obviously, from your measurement, that's not working on outgassing (am I correct that the numbers are actually going up in VOCs)? What sensor did you use? Did you find the VOCs accurate?

Good idea about riding in another 3. I did rent one on Turo before I bought and had no issues but it was a much earlier build and maybe something changed in materials since. This was why I was trying to get in touch with Tesla to find out but they have been stonewalling me.

The measurements data is interesting. I'd be driving with the recirculation on because I thought maybe that would filter out whatever is in the cabin but obviously, from your measurement, that's not working on outgassing (am I correct that the numbers are actually going up in VOCs)? What sensor did you use? Did you find the VOCs accurate?
Yeah, the VOC’s will go up if you keep recirculation on (unless there are somehow more VOC’s in your outside air!) – you need the fresh outside air to dilute any off-gassing. The air filter in the car is not able to filter out VOC’s. I did not have a way to verify the VOC reading from that handheld meter but the results from testing around the house, a friend’s house, in the cars, etc. did make sense. You can get more info on the sensor I used in that thread and via the video description on YouTube.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link @xilex.

I would also try to get a doctor's opinion

I have been working with a doctor and we're trying some things with allergy meds and such but nothing has really worked yet. Good idea to bring that up. All I've really gotten from Tesla is them saying to drive with windows open.

People have mentioned the new car smell in my Model 3 is not typical and is chemical smelling

I heard that from a detailer I spoke with as well. So what is different about the Tesla? The "vegan leather" seats stand out but without Tesla's help, I doubt I'll get to the bottom of it.

Let me guess, you have the black interior??

I do. Is there something about the Black Interior?

As I play detective on the question of why the Model 3 made in January 2018 (and driven in March 2018) was far better than mine, which was made in August 2018 (so has been outgassing for longer than 6 months actually), seems like a clue. Did the early Model 3 Gen 1 seats use a different material (leather?) than the Gen 2 seats? Or maybe they were just older when installed.

Off gassing is the worst part of new car ownership. VOC's can be hit/miss in terms of their effect and impact on you. Some people only buy used because they are so sensitive. Your sensitivity can change over time as well. Given where they are built, I can only presume there's nothing too nasty in there. You can also buy 12v hepa air filters for your car.

How to Get Rid of That New Car Smell

Reactions: asus389
I would not drive with recirculation on...not even sure if recirculated air goes through the filters or not and you definitely want fresh air flowing through the car which does go through the filters. There are large vents in the trunk which allows air to flow out of the car.

Consider also checking with an allergist....a simple allergy pill daily might be the answer.

Off gassing is the worst part of new car ownership. VOC's can be hit/miss in terms of their effect and impact on you. Some people only buy used because they are so sensitive. Your sensitivity can change over time as well. Given where they are built, I can only presume there's nothing too nasty in there. You can also buy 12v hepa air filters for your car.

How to Get Rid of That New Car Smell

Yes, it really is a bummer. I haven't had problems in other new-ish cars but then none were as fresh as this one in terms of factory to delivery time. Any suggestions about a good in-car filter?

I would not drive with recirculation on...not even sure if recirculated air goes through the filters or not and you definitely want fresh air flowing through the car which does go through the filters. There are large vents in the trunk which allows air to flow out of the car.

Consider also checking with an allergist....a simple allergy pill daily might be the answer.

Thanks. I'll try with fresh instead.

Allergy pill: Tried a few things with Dr and helped a little but not enough yet. Trying a few more to see.

Reactions: Magnets!