Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S Never Gets This Kind of Attention! -The BMW i8 :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't mean it like it's a bad thing, they're just different drives, completely different cars. I just wish people would notice it more, ask questions and learn more about Model S. I love talking about the technology and all the great things the Model S has but people never really ask. On the other hand, I'm constantly asked about the the i8: what is it, how does it work, etc. That besides all the compliments, the constant picture-taking and admiring looks as I drive by and people even following me for miles; it can get annoying sometimes.
If you want people to ask more questions about the Model S, put a "my other car is Tesla"-bumper sticker on the i8. ;)

I have driven it and it feels like a dinosaur compared to a Model S. I will admit that it is a good looking dinosaur at this point even though the rear-end looks like it swallowed a 911.

If they had left out that stupid gasoline engine and just filled the floor with batteries it would have been an awesome car. But they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

The i8 with a sub 3 second 60 time and a 200 mile range like the Roadster would have been more than enough. It's not really built to be a luxury travel sedan so range less of an issue and it is a statement car anyway to raise their Eco cred.

The BMW i8 gets all the attention!! I own both the Model S and the i8 and even though the Model S is an awesome car, it never gets the kind of attention my i8 gets :crying:!

I think it's a sports car / family sedan thing, rather than an i8 / Model S thing. I drive a Roadster and it gets attention everywhere I go. What is particularly interesting to me is the attention the Roadster gets among a crowd of Tesla owners.

I've concluded it's a sports car thing, rather than a particular model thing. Sports cars are eye catching. Clearly, the solution for you @tj, is to get a Roadster!

I disagree. It looks like a supercar and it performs like a supercar! It may not match P90D's instant torque but it's super freaking fast. Give it a try sometime.

It looks like a supercar, and performs like sports car costing tens of thousands less. I'm glad you like the vehicle, but the i8 is not a supercar in any stretch of the term. It's not particularly quick off the line, nor on a track...

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year Everybody! Hope you all get your wishes this year, whether to have both the Model S and the i8 or just one of the two or the Model X, the Model 3 or whatever else rocks your boat. I'm happy to welcome the new year with both my Model S and my i8. Feeling Blessed :biggrin: :biggrin:!!!

IMG_4070_.jpg
IMG_4076_.jpg

If that's what you like, the attention, then stick what works for you. When it comes to cars, it's what the driver wants in a vehicle that counts.

I'm with eye.surgeon and Canuck. The less attention I get, the better.

I drove a Fisker Karma for a year. Terrible how much attention you get, everyone is staring at you. Fun for a few days, horrible after a month. Must be the same with the i8. I recommend the car only to people with an attention deficit. Life in the Model S is much better. It attracts some views, but not stares. It doesn't feel like I drive a car that has to prove something, or compensate for something. In the Karma it did. And I guess also in the i8.

Beyond the textbook definition and for all practical purposes, I put them both in the supercar category. My Model S meets me at my door, parks itself and takes off like a rocket. Hell yeah that's supercar no doubt about it; and the i8 is right there with it!

It certainly doesn't perform like a Supercar. Supercars regularly break sub 3 second 60 times. I'm not saying the car isn't quick and well worth buying just for the money and the way the car looks there is no way it should be beaten off the line be a large sedan. The P90D also doesn't perform like a Supercar above 60 either but it's a large family sedan. The i8 is basically a 2 seater and outside looks doesn't shine in any category. It's still a sweet looking car and would love to drive one sometime but think BMW could have done so much more with this car making it a pure EV.