Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S now tweets!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated my car's tweets to now include the miles driven for each "trip". Where a trip begins when the car is placed in drive and ends when it placed in park. Still working on calculating Wh/mile per trip, seems to be harder than I would have thought due to limited precision of the data, but I guess the API wasn't designed for my use case. :)

It is interesting to watch, as I've never logged our driving habits to this level of detail. My wife had the car today and was running the kids around as well as some errands. It is kind of amazing how all of those short trips rack up the miles over the course of a day.

PureAmps

If we end up recreating the NY Times Article Trip (see thread on main forum) - would you be willing to provide a tweet from one or more of our cars? I of course realize we'd need to provide you with our credentials - and I certainly would be willing to do it....

Aaron

If we end up recreating the NY Times Article Trip (see thread on main forum) - would you be willing to provide a tweet from one or more of our cars? I of course realize we'd need to provide you with our credentials - and I certainly would be willing to do it....

Aaron
Good idea -- but I'd also supplement it by giving Tesla written, signed authorization to log your car that day.

I updated my car's tweets to now include the miles driven for each "trip". Where a trip begins when the car is placed in drive and ends when it placed in park. Still working on calculating Wh/mile per trip, seems to be harder than I would have thought due to limited precision of the data, but I guess the API wasn't designed for my use case. :)

It is interesting to watch, as I've never logged our driving habits to this level of detail. My wife had the car today and was running the kids around as well as some errands. It is kind of amazing how all of those short trips rack up the miles over the course of a day.

I've been doing this manually for every trip.... this sounds much easier!

Is this something we could install in our cars? (If you were willing to share of course). It's too awesome!

Thanks to the Model S REST API and a little bit of Ruby, my Model S now tweets updates on its charging and driving status. You can follow @PureAmps on twitter if you are extremely bored. All posts to that account are automatically generated using data from the API.

Now the first question you may ask is "why would I want my car to tweet"? The short answer is: "you wouldn't". :)

The long answer is that I'm using this as an experiment to get useful data out of the vehicle including daily mileage and energy usage, that I will eventually use to put together some type of web app to track my vehicle's stats.

Sure, I could put something together for any owners that wanted to tweet stats during the event. We could send them all to one twitter account, so everyone can follow all of the cars at once. :smile: The only challenge is my travel schedule this month. PM the dates you are thinking about doing this, and I'll see if I can make it happen.

As you said, I would need temporary MyTesla credentials for any vehicles, so people would have to be comfortable with that. I promise not to unlock doors or honk horns.
:wink:

Is this something we could install in our cars? (If you were willing to share of course). It's too awesome!

Unfortunately, not yet. I'm working on getting the software to a point where I could release it, and not yet sure what form that will take. But it would require some decent technical computer skills to install and run.

I would like to put something together like Volt Stats that some Chevy Volt owners use. The current problem with creating a website like that is it may run afoul of the Telematics Agreement we all signed with Tesla when we received our cars. I also do not want to personally be held responsible if somebody hacks the site, steals usernames/passwords and then starts honking peoples horns (or far worse).

I'm hoping that Tesla will eventually add support for 3rd-party apps that have restricted access to the data. For example, read-only access, no location data, etc. An owner could then authorize an app's access the same way one does for Facebook, Twitter, etc. without giving out their credentials.

I'm working on some improvements, which will hopefully include odometer readings. So I can tweet out the day's mileage or a even a trip mileage for each time the car transitions in/out of Park. After that, trying to figure out energy usage...

Has anyone written a program that tracks charging? I think it would be very helpful to track kWh loaded, and the place the car was being charged.

This occurred to me today as I was trying to estimate the number of kWh I'd consumed at home vs. work or the trip to the supercharger.

The car would email a structured email to the owner, or to a google doc form, allowing them to estimate the impact to their power bill and the amount of charging done at home vs. work.