Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S was destroyed by hail (no kidding), so I need to buy another car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems redundant to write something else, because the subject and the photos sum up my situation succinctly. On Monday 20 January an intense hail storm hit the centre of Canberra, leaving a trail of destruction, including my car. Ironically, I parked it in a remote part of an outdoor car park because I believed that would minimise the prospect of someone parking next to me and dinging my bodywork (an approach I'm unlikely to continue...). There were no warnings about this storm - its intensity caught everyone by surprise. Hundreds of cars were severely damaged. My S75 is officially a write-off. Every panel and door, plus the windscreen and rear glass, were severely damaged.
So I'm now in the market for a replacement vehicle: I really did love my S75 so I'm keen on getting another Model S. Since I bought the 75, Tesla has consolidated all those sub 100kw choices into a simple 100kw long range or 100kw performance. I rarely buy new cars, though four of the five motorcycles I've owned were bought new - so I must be agnostic on the issue. The current base Model S has all the bells and whistles and I'm very attracted to its long range. I think the cabin might be a slight step down from the 'premium/carbon' option I had but I think the better sound system will more than compensate - to me, the ability to drive while enjoying music with dynamic range and subtlety is a joy. The long range costs much more than my S75 but also seems to offer significantly more too.
I have recent emails from Mercedes touting their new EQC (Wheels magazine car of the year, according to them - though I know they push a lot of advertising through Wheels, so I have some doubts on impartiality). And the Jaguar E-Pace has some positive reviews, but I'm pretty sure their cabin is too cramped for my stocky frame. But neither of those models has the range of the new Model S - nor some of its features (I wasn't thinking of fart mode). I do feel invested in Tesla's vision and I did like my S75 so much that I'd really like to stick with Tesla.
For what it's worth, I do consider that hail event to be climate change-related. The hail stones were sized in-between golf balls and cricket, sorry baseballs - much bigger than I've ever seen before. And it came in a month of toxic smoke blown in from bushfires on our coast, heatwaves that broke temperature records, and a threatening bushfire on the city's southern flank. Some people have a remarkable ability to pretend obvious signs of climate change are really no different to weather events of the past, but I hope their ranks are thinning the stronger the evidence mounts.

Attachments

• Car in car park.jpg
    Car in car park.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,929
  • Car from rear.jpg
    Car from rear.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 537
  • windscreen.jpg
    windscreen.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 574
Wow that's crazy. What year was your 75? When my used Model S (2015 85D) was destroyed in an accident, I only wanted another Tesla to replace it with. I wound up with an inventory 2019 100D. To be honest, I think I like the figured ash interior more than the carbon fiber I had in my 2015.

I'd personally go for a new LR Raven. It also looks like you had the solid body roof on your car so won't be missing the sunroof. As far as interior goes, the newer interiors are a little more refined and you'll get some better tech (MCU2, AP 3.0, etc...)

As far as the I-Pace goes, the car may be nice but the infotainment system is complete garbage (my wife drives an E-Pace which shares the same system).

Wow that's crazy. What year was your 75? When my used Model S (2015 85D) was destroyed in an accident, I only wanted another Tesla to replace it with. I wound up with an inventory 2019 100D. To be honest, I think I like the figured ash interior more than the carbon fiber I had in my 2015.

I'd personally go for a new LR Raven. It also looks like you had the solid body roof on your car so won't be missing the sunroof. As far as interior goes, the newer interiors are a little more refined and you'll get some better tech (MCU2, AP 3.0, etc...)

As far as the I-Pace goes, the car may be nice but the infotainment system is complete garbage (my wife drives an E-Pace which shares the same system).

I-pace efficiency is lowest compared with any other CY EV

EQC is much more quiet, especially on the highway, ipace handles much better. Both cool cars, they offer something Tesla does not.

That said they charge less easily and a bit slower, but not sure if they actually had real life implications.

If you get a new Tesla free supercharging is on the menu as well...

I saw clips online of that hailstorm raining golfball and baseball hail. Crazy stuff. Don't they usually do PDR for minor hail -- that seems way more trouble than it might be worth but PDR is effective and much cheaper than bodywork.

I was in colorado many years ago, on business, when they got hit by a '100 year' hail storm. I was in a restaurant at the time and the house from all the hail on the roof made me wonder what was going on. looking outside, every single ford card had its rear glass broken just due to impact. every single one! strangely enough, that year ford was running tv commercials about how good their glass is (not kidding). every car had dimples like yours did, too. I think they had to pull in insurance adjusters from other states just to over all the paperwork.

Historic Denver Hailstorm Was Called Worst In American History

I was in colorado many years ago, on business, when they got hit by a '100 year' hail storm. I was in a restaurant at the time and the house from all the hail on the roof made me wonder what was going on. looking outside, every single ford card had its rear glass broken just due to impact. every single one! strangely enough, that year ford was running tv commercials about how good their glass is (not kidding). every car had dimples like yours did, too. I think they had to pull in insurance adjusters from other states just to over all the paperwork.

Historic Denver Hailstorm Was Called Worst In American History

I remember this one - thankfully not around during the storm.

1995 Mayfest Storm - Wikipedia

Reactions: Dr. J
...There were no warnings about this storm - its intensity caught everyone by surprise..
I am in Vic and received a text message from my car insurer that a hail storm was headed to my home area. Fortunately, we only got golf-ball sized ones and I was down at the coast and no damage done. And it was a much cheaper insurer than my broker could find.
My friend however, had a glass roof on his Model S :-(

Add me as another vote for a Raven upgrade. It should be the same, yet much better. There are still some standard range Ravens in inventory; I was just talking about this with a sales adviser and they can probably still dig them up. It might be worth looking into if the LR price is too much - it's a 75kwh battery but longer range with the raven motor improvements, and they're discontinued inventory so the prices are attractive.