Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model Y was in an accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK .. got the news today. on my 2022 Model Y ( 7 months old and 2,993 miles) the car has been Totaled... frame damage est. to repair was over $45,000

Attachments

• IMG-1135.jpg
    IMG-1135.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG-1136.jpg
    IMG-1136.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-1137.jpg
    IMG-1137.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 65
The worst thing can be if you bought the car for 65k, owe some 60k on it, and it is totaled at 48k value. Then, you are 12k under water. I'm not saying it is your case, but I can easily see such cases now, when Elon decided to low the price.

I think "totalled" was the best outcome, and I disagree that you're "under water" the difference between what you paid and current value. I mean, technically you were *already* under water by that much when prices dropped (we all are).

Instead of having to deal with repairs, rental car, waiting, diminished value, etc... now you'll just get a brand new car.

OK .. got the news today. on my 2022 Model Y ( 7 months old and 2,993 miles) the car has been Totaled... frame damage est. to repair was over $45,000
Well, at least you don't have to wait for a long repair I suppose. I was kind of wondering looking at the pictures, that tire was hit pretty hard. Hopefully insurance makes you whole and you can find a replacement quickly. Only thing you might miss out with is no USS.

Yes i agree about it being totaled the repair shop said that they would not put there family in the car why put yours in it.. and the repair time would be many months.. so waiting for a phone call from Tesla about what happens next.. def want a new one.. bummed about the USS or well.. maybe i will change color and maybe upgrade to the Performance..

I think "totalled" was the best outcome, and I disagree that you're "under water" the difference between what you paid and current value. I mean, technically you were *already* under water by that much when prices dropped (we all are).

Instead of having to deal with repairs, rental car, waiting, diminished value, etc... now you'll just get a brand new car.
If one has no gap insurance, and her/his car was totaled with the payout equal to the current new car, there might be a situation the owner will still own to the bank the difference, so that unlucky person will have to pay the difference to the bank first before getting into buying a new car. That was my concern.

It just seams unfair that i would have to pay when it wasnt even my fault the other guys insurance should make it right.. all i want is a new car and the same payment. my car was mint.. added tint all windows and Paint Protection car was perfect.. well guess i will wait and see what happens (fingers crossed)

It just seams unfair that i would have to pay when it wasnt even my fault the other guys insurance should make it right.. all i want is a new car and the same payment. my car was mint.. added tint all windows and Paint Protection car was perfect.. well guess i will wait and see what happens (fingers crossed)

In CA all you’re entitled to is what your car is currently worth based on the insurance estimate for the payout, no matter who’s at fault. You take the check and pay off the car and buy a new one. You don’t get handed a new car by insurance and you’ll pay current prices and current loan rates.
If you owe more than the car’s worth you’ll be underwater and if you don’t have GAP you’ll be responsible for paying the difference to pay off the lien.
The only way to get more money would be to take the other driver to small claims court or sue them/their insurance for other payouts like medical costs or lost wages. Probably not worth the cost and time, unless they were truly negligent in the accident or you actually had injuries.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
If one has no gap insurance, and her/his car was totaled with the payout equal to the current new car, there might be a situation the owner will still own to the bank the difference, so that unlucky person will have to pay the difference to the bank first before getting into buying a new car. That was my concern.
Gap insurance covers the difference of loan vs payout